Author Topic: Riding Apparel suggestions: Milwaukee, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, N. Carolina.  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Tele130

Note;  Sorry for the large pictures.  Their good because you don't have to click on a pic to see the larger size.  BAD if your using a Dial-Up connection. :banghead:

I'm looking for some input about selecting my gear for a solo ride out east.  I'm leaving Thursday, May 31st for a two week trip.  So here's what I can select from:

First off is my Olympia "Phantom One" suit.  Hy-Vis Yellow.

PRO's:  Highly Visible. Water Proof. Only need to pack waterproof gloves.  Wear Street clothes underneath.  Lot's of pockets.
CON's:  Bulky.  Water Proof liner is against your skin, warm weather can be murder.  Will have to take up "Packing room" on the Connie for a second set of gear (Local riding.  Like I said, it's bulky and very warm/hot for around town riding).  Bathroom breaks are intresting :rotflmao:

Second choice is the TourMaster "Transition II" Jacket.

PRO's:  Very comfortable to wear.  Good reflective qualities.  Nice armor.  Mostly water proof.  Lots of pockets.
CON's:  Not much Air Flow with vents opened (water proof liner prevents direct air flow to your skin......., incoming air has to move through a "Chamber-Tunnel" to get to the rider).  Need to pack rain gear.

Third choice is the M2R Leather Racing Style jacket.

PRO's:  Very heavy leather to protect against possible road contact and flying debris  :yikes:.  Great armor.  Pref leather allows fantastic air flow.
CON's:  Snug fit..........it's a racing jacket, but not uncomfortably snug.  Need to pack rain gear.

PAINTS:  (To be worn with selection 2 or 3).  Olympia "Air Glide III" Over pants.  What can I say.................Their GREAT!!!!
(No, that's not me in the picture  ;D.  Looka more like "Snarf" :thumbs:.  Yes, he's a hansome fellow ;D.

RAIN GEAR:  TourMaster "Elite II" jacket (Yellow & Gray)and pants (Black).

This will be my first REAL X-country road trip in the Connie.  I'm going to leave the Cee-Baily 24 1/4" screen on just because that early in the spring you never know what kind of weather you'll run into........................I've never been East of the Ohio-Penn boarder.  Any input you might have with some of your experiences will be most helpful.

FYI.................I know this is called "Early Planning" :rotflmao: but I like to make sure that my gear is in Tip-Top condition and ready to go.  Plus, I need to select my vacation time the first week in December.
 :chugbeer:
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline gonzosc1

sometimes there is just too many choices in life.:o up in your area it should be cooling off pretty good now so keep that in mind.
 its 8:00am down here in SC, 45 degrees outside.  this is about the time I pull out the leathers(Sedici top and bottom) for steady riding. most times leather only come out for the twisties with friends in summer. they breath good, and with Rocky fleece thremal top and bottoms(wally world) under the leather top and bottom I'm good down to 40 degrees at speed. as for rain I just use Frogg Troggs about 2x bigger to go over the leathers.  I find this combo of leathers, fleece thremals and FT's works great and packs with small footprint with cool weather rides.

Offline Tele130

One of the rare times my wife was nice to me :rotflmao:, she got me a set of Under Armor Fleece lined garmmets.  NICE stuff!!!!  Yea, too choices can be a real drag ;D.  I'm leaning toward the Phantom One suit.  I've worn that on my trips down to Skeenah GA.  Really nice in cooler temps (below 80 degrees).

Doug Colton

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Dainese or REV'IT gear FTW
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Tele130

Dainese or REV'IT gear FTW

I like the REV'IT gear. But, I have to choose what I already own. Don't need to drop $300.00+ for gear I already have.

Doug Colton

Offline sas mayhem

Well my friend for that time of year, I would go with you third choice.  For comfort. I have a riding suit and even with the liner out tt won't go on if the temps are higher that 50.  How often do "YOU think you are going to ride in the rain in that 2 week spell?  If you don't have a 45.00 set of Frogg Togg, grab those and pack it.  Are you taking your panniers? And do you have a tank bag too.  There is a lot to you can take.  I think you will have more versatile with a jacket/pant combo.  I would highly  recommend reading http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Touring-Bible-Fred-Rau/dp/0760337411. He cover exactly what your doing.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Tele130

Well my friend for that time of year, I would go with you third choice.  For comfort. I have a riding suit and even with the liner out tt won't go on if the temps are higher that 50.  How often do "YOU think you are going to ride in the rain in that 2 week spell?  If you don't have a 45.00 set of Frogg Togg, grab those and pack it.  Are you taking your panniers? And do you have a tank bag too.  There is a lot to you can take.  I think you will have more versatile with a jacket/pant combo.  I would highly  recommend reading http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Touring-Bible-Fred-Rau/dp/0760337411. He cover exactly what your doing.

Cheers
Ron

Thanks Ron.  That's what I'm looking for. :thumbs:
I've have a really nice Tour Master Elite II rain suit (2 piece).  Yes, the Panniers and Top Case will be locked and loaded.  Tank bag is a Rapid Transit Recon 19 Magnetic bag with a hydration bladder.  Helment will be fitted with a Sena SMH-10 2.0 Bluetooth system.

Doug Colton

Offline tonedeaf

If it is going to be cool my favorite clothing starts with a Polartec base layer. Very nice warmth and actually provides a nice, smooth extra layer of padding between you and the seat. I wear stuff from Marker (a maker of high-end ski gear). Don't leave home without it.