Author Topic: harbor freight tire machine mods  (Read 13223 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
harbor freight tire machine mods
« on: September 23, 2015, 10:55:51 PM »
we modded this one today, for smaller axle bikes...
..weld a 5/8-11 nut to the head of an m20 bolt, an inch long.
weld another 5/8 nut to the end of the tube / rod that comes with the hf mc machine.
a 1 ft long piece of 5/8-11 all thread is screwed into bolt/nut adaptor, and then you add a couple washers, and crank it down ....
oh, we made some mojo blocks from hdpe also, gotta get fatherx to send me that photo, I didn't get a pic of them, but they will be sweet...

pics coming...

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Flat-spot

Re: harbor freight tire machine mods
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 03:09:01 AM »
 :thumbs:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 07:15:55 AM »
Nice. I hope it's better than a harbor freight bede braker I had. Broke on the very first use. Now I use a NoMar. Excellent machine.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 01:14:16 PM »
Nice. I hope it's better than a harbor freight bede braker I had. Broke on the very first use. Now I use a NoMar. Excellent machine.

the bead breaker that comes on the hf base the mc machine gets mounted to works perfectly for me, no issues, just need to put the pivot pins in the correct holes.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »
The machine in your picture looks substantially stronger than the stand alone bead breaker I had.

Offline Flat-spot

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:50:08 PM »
I've done many tires with this HF unit.  Plenty strong.  Was only $32 a few years ago.
http://www.harborfreight.com/bead-breaker-92961.html

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 04:37:33 PM »
I've done many tires with this HF unit.  Plenty strong.  Was only $32 a few years ago.
http://www.harborfreight.com/bead-breaker-92961.html

its a pretty substantial single purpose machine, but the only problem with it is the lack of a long bar to get the leverage, that and because the fulcrum/pivot point isn't ideal...
I've used that specific machine to break a car tire bead toninstall a valve stem, and had to add a pipe to the arm to get enough ooomph to pop the bead... it kinda bent but didn't break... the breaker on the hf changer base has much more adjustment, both in height, and distance from the fulcrum, and it has a smaller "blade" which concentrates force right where its needed, when you adjust the positions to optimum...and when you stick that long tire tool into it, you have a very powerful lever...

both t the base tool, and m/c adaptor are onsale right now, if you have an h/f store near you, you are only out $78+ tax...
the mods we just did, even buying that M20 bolt and cutting it short, cost less than $15, and 1-1/2 hours time to fab, weld, and get hardware... that damned bolt was $7.75....    :P
luckily my pal had the hdpe we used for the blocks, that was free...
only issue we found was that the hole spacings on the h/f mc top section would not allow perfect allignment between the center hub, and the screw adjustable clamping blok... but a couple holes drilled in the slider sections of the tire clamps, and flipping the delrin bloks and making an alternate "notch" spaced 1/2" further inwards, offered us infinant adjustability...

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 05:53:39 PM »
On my HF machine, I got carried away with mods.  :nuts:
 I; added a bushing in the bottom of the Motorcycle tire adapter to do away with the slack.
    replaced the red center rod with 3/4" all-thread.
    added a bushing at the top of the 3/4"-10 all-thread so that it fits securely at the top.
    built a tapered cone (with 3/4" ID thread) that screws down the all-thread against the wheel to hold it more securely.
    built a sleeve (with a OD Groove) that fits over the 3/4" all-thread (for the Tire tool to set) in when I mount the tire
    The Mojo lever arrived and I tested it.
    The Mojo Blocks arrived and I installed those.

"After" I did all of the modifications with the 3/4" thread, MOB (Rotten devil) told me I was supposed to use 5/8" all-thread.  :shoot:

Now, (I got to say) I'm not mad at MOB (rotten Devil),   :censored: but I sure wish he (rotten devil) had told me this "before" I made all the 3/4' parts.

Good news; Luckily 3/4" thread will work with C-14's and Model T Fords. (But not my C-10)
                  "AND" I got to play with the lathe!!!   :thumbs:

The story continues;  Today (using the HF Machine with the 3/4" all-thread and components) I successfully installed 2 tires for a Model T Ford.  :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

It ain't over yet;
Tomorrow I will; purchase a 3/4" - 10 x 1" Bolt .
                         drill and tap the top of the 3/4" bolt with a 5/8"-11 thread.
                         install a piece of 5/8"-11 all-thread.
                         "remake" the associated hardware (bushing/tapered cone/sleeve) for the 5/8" all-thread.

Last Stab;
MOB, are you aware that 3/4"-10 threaded parts screw into the M20 threaded hole (in the top of the HF machine) and cost a whole lot less?   :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Rich, how did the job interview go? Did-ya get the job? We're cheering for ya!  :popcorn:

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 09:03:09 PM »
Greta mods.  That's the nice thing about the HF tire machine, it's so cheap you don't mind hacking into it to make it what you want.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 11:19:34 PM »
On my HF machine, I got carried away with mods.  :nuts:
 I; added a bushing in the bottom of the Motorcycle tire adapter to do away with the slack.
    replaced the red center rod with 3/4" all-thread.
    added a bushing at the top of the 3/4"-10 all-thread so that it fits securely at the top.
    built a tapered cone (with 3/4" ID thread) that screws down the all-thread against the wheel to hold it more securely.
    built a sleeve (with a OD Groove) that fits over the 3/4" all-thread (for the Tire tool to set) in when I mount the tire
    The Mojo lever arrived and I tested it.
    The Mojo Blocks arrived and I installed those.

"After" I did all of the modifications with the 3/4" thread, MOB (Rotten devil) told me I was supposed to use 5/8" all-thread.  :shoot:

Now, (I got to say) I'm not mad at MOB (rotten Devil),   :censored: but I sure wish he (rotten devil) had told me this "before" I made all the 3/4' parts.

Good news; Luckily 3/4" thread will work with C-14's and Model T Fords. (But not my C-10)
                  "AND" I got to play with the lathe!!!   :thumbs:

The story continues;  Today (using the HF Machine with the 3/4" all-thread and components) I successfully installed 2 tires for a Model T Ford.  :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

It ain't over yet;
Tomorrow I will; purchase a 3/4" - 10 x 1" Bolt .
                         drill and tap the top of the 3/4" bolt with a 5/8"-11 thread.
                         install a piece of 5/8"-11 all-thread.
                         "remake" the associated hardware (bushing/tapered cone/sleeve) for the 5/8" all-thread.

Last Stab;
MOB, are you aware that 3/4"-10 threaded parts screw into the M20 threaded hole (in the top of the HF machine) and cost a whole lot less?   :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Rich, how did the job interview go? Did-ya get the job? We're cheering for ya!  :popcorn:

hey, I warned ya about C10 needing 5/8 rod... and also that 3/4 fit the C14...
but also wannna say that the 3/4 thread on a bolt jams up on the one we modded... I checked the threads on the rod, using an M20 nut, and that is really what the thread is.... I wouldn't try tapping the bolt head with a 5/8 tap, not enough beef... that's why I welded the nut on... and also on the end of the existing center tube... that way if it gets damaged I can always cut those off and reweld new ones on...

as for the job interview,.headhunter stalled on me, and when I called him he told me they want to "interview / hire from within if possible" , so its temporarily on hold.... bastiches, after he made me stew all weekend and make a.decision to move... I don't believe the agency ever called my references or forwarded my resume either.. meh...  I know GBYII would have given me good references ( he was my boss prior to retiring).

Offline Flat-spot

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 03:56:13 AM »
This is great new info!  I have some mods done but it's still not ready.  Now I know.  :thumbs:

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 08:40:54 AM »
hey, I warned ya about C10 needing 5/8 rod... and also that 3/4 fit the C14...
but also wannna say that the 3/4 thread on a bolt jams up on the one we modded... I checked the threads on the rod, using an M20 nut, and that is really what the thread is.... I wouldn't try tapping the bolt head with a 5/8 tap, not enough beef... that's why I welded the nut on... and also on the end of the existing center tube... that way if it gets damaged I can always cut those off and reweld new ones on...

Yea, I know ya told me, but it was the day after I did the mod's. Rotten devil..
I suspect ya planned it that way.... <yer evil plan>

I guess ya know, I'm just picking on ya because it's fun!
{Hopefully everyone that is reading this, (understands that)}?

As it happens, I have a lathe, not a welder, so I'll try the drill and tap option for now.
My first thought is to just make an adapter.
Unfortunately it's so old I can't just make an adapter. It has gearing to cut Whitworth (I think) threads, not SAE or Metric.
And, I'm a Lathe Tinkerer. Definitely not a machinist!

This project has been a lot of fun. I'll keep tinkering.

Side note; Do you have the name of he company that is hiring? if so, bypass the head hunter (rotten devil) and call them directly.     Good luck!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I used the Mojo Lever to mount the tires yesterday. Great Tool!