Author Topic: rest areas: be careful what you take pics of at them!!!  (Read 12938 times)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: rest areas: be careful what you take pics of at them!!!
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »
I stopped at the rest area on the south end of the Skyway today to have a snack and enjoy the view at about 11 a.m., everything looked real secure. I felt secure and safe. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :thumbs:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 06:02:57 PM »
... It seems that about 15 yrs ago the Dept. Of Defense decided to put short range Missels under the rest room toilets. ...

Government actually installing exploding toilets, this is rich. Will take a peek down the hole on my next outhouse jaunt before I sit down.

Really though, good idea. How many people actually look down there for a nose cone shape before they rip one?

Johnny on the spot... Sounds like someone lit a fuse... Smells like someone lit a fuse...

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »
BTW, cool pic  :thumbs:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 07:59:38 PM »
It's funny you should mention this as I was talking to someone the other day about taking pictures and how it's got 'illegal' in some places.  I would love to take pictures of the aircraft at AP Hill from the other side of the fence and maybe the tanks guarding the front gate and would have before 9-11.  Not now, they'd probably arrest me and then expose my digital film to the sun.   

hehehehe
rolled up there a couple years ago (20 minutes from my house) wanting to shoot the tanks for an ADV state Tag-o-Rama shot, rolled to the gate to ask prior to even attempting it, gat soldier was all cool... "sure, let me call someone to stand here while I WALK YOU OVER TO IT", sweet i thought, when the other o/d showed up, and we began walking over he told me "do NOT turn around towards the gate with that camera.....", I handed it to him, and wanted to get the C14 in the shot (TagO-Rama...), got the bike in position, stood back with O/D, and all hell broke loose. 3 jeeps, 6 HIGHLY ARMED MP's, showed up in a second, told me to G.T.H.O.O.H, and cuffed the O/D..... wow, I felt really bad for him. I hope he didn't get stockaded for that... Had an A.P. Hill "black van" pull up and question me coming out of the median strip after taking pictures at the barn John Wilkes Booth was burned in also, they said they saw me go back and forth too many times and had to "investigate" me as I was between the 2 zones of restriction....
Guy B Young and I BOTH got busted 2 different times at the Confederate capitol bldg in Richmond trying to do tag-O-Rama shots...., these folks ain't messin around.
I think in 4 years of that game here in Richmond, and over your way, we counted at least 15 "get out of here you idjit" confrontations on players... :o ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:27:22 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 08:18:49 PM »
I don't know if it is really true...but someone recently told me that California passes a law making it illegal to take pictures from a car.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 10:52:40 PM »
I don't know if it is really true...but someone recently told me that California passes a law making it illegal to take pictures from a car.

I figured they'd tax per pic, they tax everything else  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 02:13:40 AM »
The response to that situation is simple.  "Quote me the regulation."

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 04:13:24 AM »
Totally agree with that, but it's tough to argue with MP's or heavily armed guards...  I think if I were to do something like taking pictures of a base/fort/camp I would talk to their PR dept first.  It's really too bad.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 05:34:32 AM »
Toilets aren't explosive until I use them...darn chili...
I found this subject quite interesting since from 1974-1977 I worked for MoDOT maintaining a rest area.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 11:15:22 AM »
I was at the top of Pike's Peak a few years ago and there was a guy in the men's room trying to hide his camera while snapping pics of men at the urinals. I found one of the officials there and told him what was going on. He rushed into the men's room and brought the guy out.

That wasn't you was it?    ;)

Hey now... I was never convicted of anything!!! ;)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 12:43:16 PM »
Did he have a zoom lens?

Brian

I was at the top of Pike's Peak a few years ago and there was a guy in the men's room trying to hide his camera while snapping pics of men at the urinals.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
Did he have a zoom lens?

Brian

Once he saw me he had to break out the wide angle.   8)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2011, 03:25:15 PM »
Once he saw me he had to break out the wide angle.   8)
There are so many ways to respond to that.

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2011, 03:29:22 PM »
    My business is next to a city entity.....you should see 3:30 pm I swear its like a fu^&ing school bell rang they run to their cars its crazy. You know they stopped working an hour (at least) ago to get back to the building and prepare to leave. When I worked at Honda Manu
 it was the same exodus wise ...except we worked every minute !!
    Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2011, 03:33:34 PM »
There are so many ways to respond to that.

Yeah, I kinda left myself wide open didn't I? Go for it, I would.  ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 04:59:23 PM »
hehehe,can't.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2011, 08:49:49 PM »
here's a picture that had both the local police, and the Fed's circling me in this parking lot like a bunch of buzzards...

that building (unknown to me at the time, But I was told by the cops when they had enough of the circling)  happens to be the Richmond Federal Reserve....ooops, my bad. ???

this one got me a warning also, I just don't give up

Richmond Capitol Bldg, note the anti-drive thru posts on the sidewalk....
I risk a lot for ADV tag shots....heheheh

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 09:24:33 PM »
that building (unknown to me at the time, But I was told by the cops when they had enough of the circling)  happens to be the Richmond Federal Reserve....ooops, my bad. ???

this one got me a warning also, I just don't give up ...

I'm sorry, it's just a picture, I don't buy all the third degree flogging stuff. Google (et al) would (should) be in a world of hurt for all their aerial photos and maps, POSTED ONLINE for the whole world to see.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2011, 10:09:44 PM »
I agree, but drive up to that building, whip out a camera, and see what happens....

here's some more that got me "a good lecture", not all were "national security", but i got talked to for each of these shots...

going back to the spot I noted in my first post, at A.P.Hill military base...no shots of the tank, but where I got popped adjacent to it parking on the road "no stopping or parking at anytime" signs literally every 20 feet, for almost 100 yards along the road, no lie, ask Va. Jim, I'm sure he has traveled thru A.P.Hills corridor...

no fooling, Ft. A.P.Hill security abounds...

oooops....busted again....jeeez Sheriff, I'm just taken Tag-O-Rama pictures....

oh crap...re-inforcements showed up.....

they didn't think my asking them if they'd like to stand in for the photo....was a bit funny...

if ya can't beat 'em, take the camera to the police station and play real dangerous...

bike in tag shot, onsite, messin with the Sheriff's on Home Turf, right at the station..

looky here li'l girl, I got his bike....argggggggggg

yep, the civil war Richmond Courthouse steps will get you a stern talkin to also...yep, they will...

Bank Of America's front entrance is always good for a warning from the LEO's ...ow

damn....Private airfields are off limits ALSO??? DAMN... busted again...
URL=http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2671931500015463693bbrIyU][/URL]
the picture of the SIGN is what got me slapped by them this time....

even busted me for taking a tag with Mr. Bojangles......but I was parked on the sidewalk.

not just once.....but TWICE....YEP, it's me again officer....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
I'm sorry, it's just a picture, I don't buy all the third degree flogging stuff. Google (et al) would (should) be in a world of hurt for all their aerial photos and maps, POSTED ONLINE for the whole world to see.

Rick

funny you mention it, we were googlin/Bing aerial perusing the Navel shipyards nerby in Newport News, and zoomed in of some subs in drydock....they had the propellers covered in tarps, but if you rotated the views to see alternate angles they mised one...uber-top-secret sub prop clear as day...