Author Topic: Mirror fell off  (Read 3835 times)

Offline George in N Az

Mirror fell off
« on: May 11, 2011, 07:34:37 PM »
The mount is still attached to the bike! Only the mirror fell off. Sounds like a nut and a washer rolling around inside. The threads look good on the extension, no rips on the rubber and the mount is still soundly attached. Now the question would be, how to open the mirror and not crack the glass. If I can do that, a little thread locker or new washer should do it.
2002 Concours various farkles,
04 Wee Strom - Killer Renthal conversion, Sonic
89 Councours

Offline neworldman

Re: Mirror fell off
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:37:33 PM »
Neat! That would really make your day.

Offline mlf73

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 06:44:46 AM »
Seems like I remember the solution to this issue being to cut a small slit in the accordion gasket between the base and the mirror to allow access to the joint.  You should be able to fish out the nut/washer and reinstall and tighten it back up.  I believe there were a couple methods to reseal the slit when your done.  Maybe someone who has done it will report the best method to seal the gasket back.
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline George in N Az

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:06:29 AM »
The acordian is fine, the mirror is off at its junction. Literally, I can hold the mirror like a small turtle, shake the nut inside. Did anyone ever open the mirror body?

This feels like a really wierd post, a cross between Pearl Jams Mirror Ball and some Native American object.
2002 Concours various farkles,
04 Wee Strom - Killer Renthal conversion, Sonic
89 Councours

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 08:36:20 AM »
Yes you can open up the mirror, if you are very careful. You can pry the glossy plastic mirror surround off with a butter knife or a putty knife. Work very slowly, you are actually breaking the glue used to glue it together.
After you have finished you can glue it back together with black silicon adhesive, use masking tape to hold everything in place as the adhesive dries.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline pat8228

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 03:13:12 PM »
Took mine apart last week to tighten the tension. Just pried the front off and then used superglue to put it back together. Put 500 miles on it since then with no problems.

Offline norcalbarney

• I got me an '86
    • Bikes, bro
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 03:25:29 PM »
When this happened to my right mirror, the nut came all the way off the bolt, and I couldn't get it back on through a slit across the bottom of the accordion.  I cut the entire back off the accordion, and it's ugly now.  Clearance on the faring also hindered my movement.

I wound up replacing the entire bolt and nut with an allen bolt.  This let's me use the hex wrench coming up from the bottom, easily clearing the faring, and a 10mm bolt on top, easily accessible with a socket wrench. I keep it nice and tight.