Author Topic: Guhl's ECU Flash For The Kawasaki Concours 1400 / GTR 1400...Group Buy?  (Read 73101 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Guhl's ECU Flash For The Kawasaki Concours 1400 / GTR 1400...Group Buy?
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »
Well, I might be interested, depending on the discount.  I am kinda on the fence, still.

Come on, Max.  Go for it!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 04:57:44 PM »
Got any pictures of YOU on the fence , I could see Kitty up there and I understand shortpeoplehavenobody  But I'd love to see you on a chain link fence ::)
It's only money and you can't take it with you ;)
POWER is a BONITA  thing
I'm a thrill JUNKY
Beats drugs ...no hang over
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 05:26:16 PM »
So is riding on the back of a fire engine whilst holding on to the rail with lights and sirens wailing....rather enjoyed that time of my life...sigh.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline CDN-GTR

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 06:16:55 PM »
I'm in for the group buy, I've been waiting to see if this is going to as I'm going either way.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 06:56:20 PM »
I became a Volunteer firefighter as soon as I turned 18yr old. in NY old town with old wood houses free beer  ;D life was good.
I believe teenagers should be forced into some type of civic duty, builds character.
Guhl does not give a break to motorcycle shops, I asked a place in town that has a dyno and the owner has a new ZX14 that he drag races , I thought I'd let him make a little money and he said to send it in myself because Guhl would not give him any type of discount, tight wad if you ask me.
I race Merc outboards and my motor builder  plays with the ECUs #s , we also have a screw that we lean or richen up depending on out side temp , humidity  , elevation  at the race site.
If it was not for Traction control I would have done fly removal , oxygen sensor deal , but in the summer time our roads are wet all the time and the traction control works great.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:47:00 PM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 12:01:27 AM »
I don't go over to the other forum.  How about a quick info about what this mod will accomplish. 
Is it for those with aftermarket exhaust or will it work with OEM exhaust?
Will it improve fuel economy?  Fuel is getting going up fast!
Will it affect warranty work on the bike?
He has separate maps from what I understand. Fuel economy will suffer slightly, but you can always use your ECO feature if you have a 10+ C14, as this map is unaffected. As with any modification, Kawasaki would have to prove that the mod was the reason for whatever warranty claim you should happen to make. It makes more power lower down from idle onwards, especially helpful when 2 up riding. Guys have had this flash for a couple of years now and no problems have been reported.

I hit both sites, as I am a COG member. Both sites are great for information. This site is and has always been my favorite for the less restrictive moderators, and the fun and camaraderie that goes with it. I will be looking at this mod for the summer, when I'm in Guhl country. I will have to go there to beat the tax/duty man in Canada. Only a 8 hrs. drive, and the COGGERs are having a spring meet up near by. A slip on will set me back at least that much, a full system and a programmer would be more.

A group buy would be great! So I would be interested.
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 03:29:11 AM »
I would be interested also. Anyone making contact to see if this is do-able?
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 04:19:41 AM »
Well, Mr. Pistole started this and hasn't chimed back in yet.  Not sure what's the status at the moment...  I do know that I'm not going over to the other forum...  For those of you that do swing both ways, is there a start of a group buy over there? 

I've sent a note to Don to ask if he's willing to do a group discount.  I'll let you know what comes back.

Nothing yet...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:17:24 PM by VirginiaJim »

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 05:13:20 AM »
I would be interested as well.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline stewart

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 05:33:09 AM »
I live on both forums and if its any help to some I've had the flash by Guhl done on my 2010.

Whiles its not a Turbo, or Full exhuast system....it is a huge improvement for just a software/map tweak. More torque/power down low, comes on smoother and more linear. On some well known roads I find I don't have to gear down to 2nd on certain corners anymore and can still power out, same goes for the track. Asfor 2 Up riding, I've found the bike to be far more responsive.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Big Mike

• Binghamton, NY
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 07:47:19 AM »
WHERE is this OTHER Forum ???????????????
OH yeah I use to go there ...

same here.....LOL  ;D

Depending on how it effects my warranty I might be interested..  :o
2014 Concours 14 Candy Cardinal Red..
HeliBar Risers/Knight Design Lowered Pegs/Super Shark Skins/Cee Bailey Ultra Tour/TechSpec Snake Skin

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 04:20:39 PM »
How they gonna know?  Besides, we've had many a rider pull the flies and I haven't heard any negative dealer feedback on that...yet.   I think this is a low risk option, myself.

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 10:06:39 PM »
How they gonna know?  Besides, we've had many a rider pull the flies and I haven't heard any negative dealer feedback on that...yet.   I think this is a low risk option, myself.

The re-flash opens the flies sooner and farther open, kind of like removing them without removing them. It also changes the fuel map slightly. They can remove the top speed limiter too.

As far as I know Fred had his ECM re-flashed originally and then built a map using his Power Commander V with the oxygen sensor feedback system to fine tune the map. I think they use Fred's map with the flies opening sooner for the re-flash but you should check with Guhl for specifics.
Black 2011
Full Delkevic no cat, Ivan's Flash, Projector headlights, Dunlop Q3+
Valentine 1 with JBV1 on phone

Offline Big Mike

• Binghamton, NY
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 09:48:34 AM »
How they gonna know?

If there was an ECM or computer issue and they (the dealer) plugged into it, it would seem they could tell its been changed ?? dunno
2014 Concours 14 Candy Cardinal Red..
HeliBar Risers/Knight Design Lowered Pegs/Super Shark Skins/Cee Bailey Ultra Tour/TechSpec Snake Skin

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 11:03:07 AM »
We've had very few issues, if any, with the ECU on this bike.  I would have no problems in getting it done and will.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 11:26:31 AM »
We've had very few issues, if any, with the ECU on this bike.  I would have no problems in getting it done and will.

+1 for me as well. My dealer's tech is pretty cool with stuff like that. In fact, he has a 2012 C-14 and he'll prolly want the reflash too.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »
Just FYI, I called Don and he answered 2 questions for me:

1) I live at high altitude, 7500' and I wanted to make sure his re-flash didn't effect anything having to do with atmospheric pressure and inlet pressure compensation. He confirmed that this was indeed the case. So no problem with riding in the mountains after re-flash.

2) He confirmed that if you do a re-flash and then later do something like add aftermarket exhaust he will re-flash again for free just pay shipping.

That said, I'm in. I think I will pull the ECU today and ship tomorrow.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »
Did you ask about discount for group buy? Has anybody?

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 12:22:37 PM »
Interested in group buy....Have a ZX14r and 10 Connie.....will be at Daytona Bikeweek March 8-17, so If Guhl is going to be at Daytona, would be a good time to have him install mine while I wait....then I can report on it's performance and let all members know how it works out for me..

Someone call Guhl and see if he will do it and if he is going to be at Bikeweek next month.

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 12:25:17 PM »
Just FYI, I called Don and he answered 2 questions for me:

1) I live at high altitude, 7500' and I wanted to make sure his re-flash didn't effect anything having to do with atmospheric pressure and inlet pressure compensation. He confirmed that this was indeed the case. So no problem with riding in the mountains after re-flash.

2) He confirmed that if you do a re-flash and then later do something like add aftermarket exhaust he will re-flash again for free just pay shipping.

That said, I'm in. I think I will pull the ECU today and ship tomorrow.

Man! You had him on the phone and didn't ask about a group buy? What are we gonna do with you?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn