Author Topic: That pesky low fuel warning and the disappearance of the range function.  (Read 156271 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: That pesky low fuel warning and the disappearance of the range function.
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2016, 11:00:55 AM »
Yep, I have some in stock and will ship out the day following the order. You can order directly from my web page if you are in the US: http://www.incontrolne.com/incontrol_007.htm

Brian

are these available again?

Pete
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2016, 03:48:35 PM »
I ordered one of these units from Brian and it works just as advertised.

I'm a relatively new Connie owner and I found that pesky warning just a little too annoying. Glad it's gone!

One minor point -- after the seat is removed, Brian's instructions tell you to locate one of two cables that are, well, in the area they're in. The one I needed was waaaaaaaaay down in the bottom of that space and I was rather flummoxed why the unit wouldn't fit until I broke out a flashlight and spotted the other cable (the one I really needed) lurking down below.

Brian's instructions are good -- the only thing I wanted to point out is that the target cable may be lurking down in the basement of that space and it isn't easily seen without some additional light.

2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2016, 03:58:47 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.

Yep, I have no control over where those two cables end up beyond the fact that they always are in the well  behind the fuel tank. I suggest removing both cables in the instructions- it is better to have both and not need one than to have one and have it be the one you cannot use :-) . And the circuit will absolutely not fit in the wrong cable nor will it go in backwards or anything like that; if it fits and clicks into place (the plastic tabs locking the connectors together), it is the right cable and it is installed correctly.

As far as lighting goes, these new, cheap, light and extremely bright "headlights" that strap onto a person's head are worth their weight in gold IMO. They make working on anything mechanical easier, even when it looks like you do not even need it- I find good lighting to make mechanical tasks far more pleasant, go faster and just easier overall. They are available just about everywhere and inexpensive enough to have a couple hanging around IMO- under $10 and they take standard batteries (usually AAA s).

Brian

I ordered one of these units from Brian and it works just as advertised.

I'm a relatively new Connie owner and I found that pesky warning just a little too annoying. Glad it's gone!

One minor point -- after the seat is removed, Brian's instructions tell you to locate one of two cables that are, well, in the area they're in. The one I needed was waaaaaaaaay down in the bottom of that space and I was rather flummoxed why the unit wouldn't fit until I broke out a flashlight and spotted the other cable (the one I really needed) lurking down below.

Brian's instructions are good -- the only thing I wanted to point out is that the target cable may be lurking down in the basement of that space and it isn't easily seen without some additional light.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2016, 07:28:58 PM »
Hey Brian, i have one of your low fuel warning cutouts, and it works great, and is well made. Nice work, and thanks! I also wanted to thank you for all the prodding you gave me to build the flash, it's really turning out to be a very well received addition for many c-14 owners  :thumbs: :thumbs: Steve

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2016, 10:43:21 AM »
Hey Brian, i have one of your low fuel warning cutouts, and it works great, and is well made. Nice work, and thanks! I also wanted to thank you for all the prodding you gave me to build the flash, it's really turning out to be a very well received addition for many c-14 owners  :thumbs: :thumbs: Steve

Small hijack - I'll be sending you my ECU when the weather truly turns crappy. So far, here in MS, I've been able to ride most of the time. And if the weather doesn't turn crappy, I'll pull the ECU and send it in anyway.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2016, 01:17:11 PM »
Thanks for the kind words but I do not remember selling you any of my products nor can I find any sales in my records. You must have obtained it through a third party.

As far as the prodding, I frankly do not remember doing any prodding with anyone regarding any ECU re-flash. ?? Perhaps you are confusing me with someone else, maybe Fred Harmon? The only person I remember having lengthy discussions about C-14 induction systems was Cory (Rembrant) as he was doing some very interesting data logging with a different system (not a re- flash but an add-on piece of hardware). And that reminds me that I should give him a holler as he seems to be MIA now for quite a while.

Brian

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2016, 03:02:32 PM »
Thanks for the kind words but I do not remember selling you any of my products nor can I find any sales in my records. You must have obtained it through a third party.

As far as the prodding, I frankly do not remember doing any prodding with anyone regarding any ECU re-flash. ?? Perhaps you are confusing me with someone else, maybe Fred Harmon? The only person I remember having lengthy discussions about C-14 induction systems was Cory (Rembrant) as he was doing some very interesting data logging with a different system (not a re- flash but an add-on piece of hardware). And that reminds me that I should give him a holler as he seems to be MIA now for quite a while.

Brian

On of my friends owned me a bit so we traded and I had him order it. The prodding on the ECU flashing came during those various thread discussions you and I had, wherein you felt removing the flies was the only path the power, and I maintained that the flies could be made to work for us. It's not like me to make statements without backing them up, so I did... thanks for the lively discussion, it really made me get off my butt and get it done. BTW, my stock bike gained 14 HP at peak... and the flies are most certainly in. Steve

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2016, 03:57:05 PM »
Curious about the ordering method but again, whatever works for you is fine with me. Shipping anywhere in the US is the identical cost and effort on my part so going through and intermediary makes no difference unless the final recipient is outside the US, which happens a surprising amount of the time. My [outside the US] shipping costs are frankly phenomenal for such an inexpensive product.

Ah, there is the difference- I was not 'prodding', merely discussing.

As to my opinion, it is not and never was that more power could be gained with the flies in place but the opening curve changed, it is that more power can be gained by leaving the flies in the bike compared with removing them, and this is still my opinion. But no matter as we are very far off- topic in this thread, I am content with my conclusions in this matter and no interest in going over that 'well plowed' ground again.

Brian

On of my friends owned me a bit so we traded and I had him order it. The prodding on the ECU flashing came during those various thread discussions you and I had, wherein you felt removing the flies was the only path the power, and I maintained that the flies could be made to work for us. It's not like me to make statements without backing them up, so I did... thanks for the lively discussion, it really made me get off my butt and get it done. BTW, my stock bike gained 14 HP at peak... and the flies are most certainly in. Steve

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2016, 08:37:34 AM »

Ah, there is the difference- I was not 'prodding', merely discussing.

As to my opinion, it is not and never was that more power could [not]be gained with the flies in place but the opening curve changed, it is that more power can [not]be gained by leaving the flies in the bike compared with removing them, and this is still my opinion. But no matter as we are very far off- topic in this thread, I am content with my conclusions in this matter and no interest in going over that 'well plowed' ground again.
I could be wrong, but I think I missed your point, as in I don't think that was what you were saying way back then when that discussion took place. Do my inserts fix it Brian???

So...although the rest of us could read you two going at it in civil forum text discussion until your keyboards wear out, perhaps it would be more productive if we glean what we can from you two by merging your points.
The ultimate C14 would have dual exhaust (Muzzy's or ZX14?) and  ZX14 throttle bodies AND Steve's flash (this would be me prodding Steve to develop one for someone {perhaps he shouldn't wait but just do it himself to his bike} that has such a set up just for the challenge of it, since there isn't {yet} enough market  for it be profitable) so that it has the "drivability", smoothness, and low rpm torque (we can combine those 3 into the Shoodaben factor)of a bike with smaller throttle bodies and a more restrictive exhaust AND the top end horsepower of a bike with less restrictive intake and exhaust. Of course (this is where I stay on topic..sort of) to be "ultimate" the ultimate C14 would need the (Incontrol Factor) Low Fuel Warning Eliminator, KIPASS bypass, and the yet to be developed (this would be me prodding Brian to get it to market) "Exciting New Farkle" which I think I know what it is but I'll let Brian announce it (someday) (Brian, please add a flashing LED as some of us are wearing ear plugs).

In case anyone missed them earlier, here (listed alphabetically) are the websites:

incontrol

Shoodaben Engineering

I just know that somewhere in this messy post is an unmatched paren, bracket, or brace ..but I can't find it.  :-\

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2016, 09:38:03 AM »

<snipped because I got dizzy>

I just know that somewhere in this messy post is an unmatched paren, bracket, or brace ..but I can't find it.  :-\

:rotflmao:

I couldn't find it either, but by that time I had a headache.  :chugbeer:
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2016, 11:16:50 AM »
Well, again far OFFTOPIC for this thread but.....

I never said that more power could not be gotten from a stock C-14, with the 'flies in, by changing the opening curve of the 'flies (as well as the mixture and spark timing). What I did say, and maintain, is that more power is available if the 'flies are simply removed. I do not agree that more power can be generated with the 'flies in the bike and ANY curve applied than can be generated with the 'flies removed. But once re-flashing was available for the C-14, "marketing" decided to tell people that leaving the 'flies in the bike would actually produce more power than if they were removed.... sort of like 'salesman horsepower' I guess, which are like real horsepower only larger.

But hey, we have a long, long like of successful marketing.....

And my favorite: Arthur Godfrey back when he had two lungs. Seems they had to lop one of them out because..... well, I guess he did not smoke enough to maintain that lung's health....

Gee, now I am starting to think that a C-14 would make even MORE POWER if there were two sets of 'flies in it! Which leads of course to three sets of 'flies. Hey, maybe it is the 'flies that are actually making all of the power and the engine is just a distraction? Hmmmmmmmm. After all, it worked for Gillette; what are they up to, six blades in a razor.... on BOTH sides of the razor? Good stuff.

Brian

I could be wrong, but I think I missed your point, as in I don't think that was what you were saying way back then when that discussion took place. Do my inserts fix it Brian???

So...although the rest of us could read you two going at it in civil forum text discussion until your keyboards wear out, perhaps it would be more productive if we glean what we can from you two by merging your points.
The ultimate C14 would have dual exhaust (Muzzy's or ZX14?) and  ZX14 throttle bodies AND Steve's flash (this would be me prodding Steve to develop one for someone {perhaps he shouldn't wait but just do it himself to his bike} that has such a set up just for the challenge of it, since there isn't {yet} enough market  for it be profitable) so that it has the "drivability", smoothness, and low rpm torque (we can combine those 3 into the Shoodaben factor)of a bike with smaller throttle bodies and a more restrictive exhaust AND the top end horsepower of a bike with less restrictive intake and exhaust. Of course (this is where I stay on topic..sort of) to be "ultimate" the ultimate C14 would need the (Incontrol Factor) Low Fuel Warning Eliminator, KIPASS bypass, and the yet to be developed (this would be me prodding Brian to get it to market) "Exciting New Farkle" which I think I know what it is but I'll let Brian announce it (someday) (Brian, please add a flashing LED as some of us are wearing ear plugs).

In case anyone missed them earlier, here (listed alphabetically) are the websites:

incontrol

Shoodaben Engineering

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2016, 01:22:08 PM »
Yes, in respect to Brian's excellent fuel warning bypass product, this is nOT the proper venue for a conversation about flashing ECU's tuning, whatever. I'm sure we could have the conversations elsewhere, but this thread is not the place for that. I only mentioned it for Brian, not to start a thread hijack.

Party on Brian.

steve

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2016, 03:16:14 PM »
Thank you, Steve.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2016, 11:57:20 AM »
Any chance you are going to be in Helen, Georgia this June Brian. I like your low fuel eliminator, but living in Canada and having just gone thru a Customs nightmare recently; I would like to make my life easier, and just buy it and install it while I am stateside.

Dave
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2016, 12:37:39 PM »
Not likely that I will be there Dave. But if you are traveling by vehicle to that area from eastern Canada you can certainly stop by my house and buy one- 'in person' purchase gets you a free installation by the way :-) Also, I could send it to your destination in Georgia if you have a postal address there that you can use (personal friend, work address, even hotel).

I sell quite a few of these to Canadians and have not heard of any duty or customs problems. Of course that does not mean there have not been any, just that I have not heard about any incidents from Canadian customers.

Please do feel free to contact me and we may be able to work something out that will work for you.

Brian

Any chance you are going to be in Helen, Georgia this June Brian. I like your low fuel eliminator, but living in Canada and having just gone thru a Customs nightmare recently; I would like to make my life easier, and just buy it and install it while I am stateside.

Dave

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2016, 03:48:37 PM »
Thanks Brian. Sounds good. I will leaving on June 16th to make the ralley on the 20th. It is 1850km, which should be only 2 days ride; but I plan on doing some good roads on the way there (Blue Ridge Parkway being one). I will send you a pm before I go and see if you will be home on my way down or back.

Dave
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2016, 04:25:37 PM »
I am sure we can make that work.

I did not realize you were going to the rally- I am sure I can send in advance to quite a few people who will hand-deliver it to you at the rally, or directly to you care / of the hotel. Whatever works best for you. But of course if you do stop by I an introduce you to both Mr. Elkhoof as well as Kirby and those are not treats to be missed IMO. :-)

Brian

Thanks Brian. Sounds good. I will leaving on June 16th to make the ralley on the 20th. It is 1850km, which should be only 2 days ride; but I plan on doing some good roads on the way there (Blue Ridge Parkway being one). I will send you a pm before I go and see if you will be home on my way down or back.

Dave

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2016, 06:57:27 PM »
I am sure we can make that work.

I did not realize you were going to the rally- I am sure I can send in advance to quite a few people who will hand-deliver it to you at the rally, or directly to you care / of the hotel. Whatever works best for you. But of course if you do stop by I an introduce you to both Mr. Elkhoof as well as Kirby and those are not treats to be missed IMO. :-)

Brian

LOL! Looking forward to it! :chugbeer:
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline R1Brian

Hey Brian.. wow, I am Brian too  8)    I just ordered one off the website.   Excited to give it a try

Thanks,
Brian W

Offline spinned

« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
I really like the product... But I ran out of gas with 25 miles still showing.   That doesn't change the fact that I still really like the product.