Author Topic: Petcock kit install  (Read 19360 times)

Offline amigoride

Petcock kit install
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
I acquired a petcock rebuild kit and want to install it as a proactive measure. My 2005 Connie has never exhibited a problem related to the petcock but after almost 9 years it seems prudent to install new components. I know Steve's overflow tubes are the only real solution to potential hydrolock but the petcock kit seems a straight forward install. I have searched the topic and found a number of posts regarding poor results. Any tips on installing the kit? Should I even bother? Should I just order a new petcock from Murph?
Thanks guys, always a pleasure communicating. 

Offline Strawboss

Re: Petcock kit install
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 11:15:33 AM »
More than a few have installed the old fashioned manual type petcock kit. Something to look at if you are thinking of other options. Not sure of Murph sells them or not.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »
Murph has some recommendations on his site:  http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_94&products_id=121

Murph does also sell a kit to convert the stock petcock to a manual one:  http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_94&products_id=483
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
I rebuilt my OEM petcock several years ago using a K&L repair kit.  It leaked immediately because the parts in the K&L kit were bogus.  I found that the diameter of the center poppet and O-ring were too small to seal the central passage in the petcock.  I got fed up and installed a Pingel manual unit and am happy happy happy.  It has been reported by some here on the forum that the genuine Kawasaki kits are better than the aftermarket ones.  Be sure to inspect all the parts in the kit you got and if they are not identical in all respects you may have trouble.  Obviously you'll want to do a leak check before you install the unit or put fuel in the tank.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Easy13

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:10:53 PM »
I installed Murph's manual petcock conversion kit this weekend.  Easy-peasy and no leaks.  Murph advertises Permatex aircraft-grade sealant and I went for that as well:  outstanding stuff!
Cognito Ergo Wrenchum

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 09:08:58 AM »
I hope you folks with manual petcocks have over flow tubes.  If not you are  much more likely to hydro-lock the engine than with the auto petcock
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 09:38:58 AM »
I just installed a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower shutoff valve. Always works and cost $3.50.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 10:23:57 AM »
I just installed a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower shutoff valve. Always works and cost $3.50.

Always???
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »
Yes, always.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 01:30:54 PM »
I hope you folks with manual petcocks have over flow tubes.  If not you are  much more likely to hydro-lock the engine than with the auto petcock

I'll continue to beg to argue that as false..... All one needs to do is turn on/off the tap; my job as a ship engineer requires that I follow precise procedures over and over again without fail or forgetting.

With that being said I believe that overflow tubes are worth far more than their cost as the human machine is subject to failure too.

As to rebuilding petcocks with factory parts yes... Rebuilding petcocks with K&L no way!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 05:22:50 PM by T Cro ® »
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 02:57:03 PM »
I am with Tony on this one.  I NEVER forget to turn it off.  Just a matter of learning to do it.  I mean, do you forget to put your foot down when you stop?  Do you forget to put it in neutral before you let out the clutch at a stop?  Do you forget to get gas when the tank gets low? 

I am confident that the manual shutoff is OFF when it is turned off. 

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 04:33:35 PM »
The examples given above don't really help.  In each there is a very direct and immediate reaction for failing to do X or Y.  This is not the case with the fuel valve.  I suspect that each of you who "never" forgets to turn off their fuel valve have in fact done just that.  How can you even say for sure you didn't?  Maybe you just as easily forgot to turn it on.  What would have ever drawn it to your attention?  I still think that even subject to failure, the vacuum pet cock is more reliable than people, at the very least MOST people.  I certainly know myself well enough to know that (it) would be more reliable than me.  Maybe I speak for myself but that's just fine with me

*edited for typeo
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 03:07:56 PM by jworth »

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 06:44:30 PM »
jworth...you said "...I would be more reliable than me."  OK.  I guess.

Okay, I agree with your immediate consequences point.  So how about this one:  Do you ever forget to take out the ignition key when you leave the bike?  That is comparable to the petcock question. 

Speak for yourself...I NEVER forget that, and I am trained to associate the key with the petcock.  Other folks do what they do, but I was speaking for myself alone right from the beginning. 

The same kind of debris that could cause the vacuum shutoff to leak could plug the overflow tubes.  Then hydrolock!  IT HAPPENED TO MY BIKE TWO MONTHS AGO!!   The (new) manual shutoff really shuts it off!  Oh, and I have the tubes too.  But they are less than 100% reliable, by actual experience. 
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »
I mean, do you forget to put your foot down when you stop?  Do you forget to put it in neutral before you let out the clutch at a stop?  Do you forget to get gas when the tank gets low?
Well, you managed to hit on three reasons why I won't do the manual conversion.   ;D

Do you ever forget to take out the ignition key when you leave the bike?
Make that four reasons.   :rotflmao:
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 08:40:46 PM »
Remembering to turn off the fuel is not the problem. Even IF you always remember turn off the fuel your worse off than an automatic petcock and here are the reasons.
 Automatic petcocks shut off the fuel flow the very instant the engine is no longer creating vacuum. That goes for starting the engine as well.
Humans  are  no where near as fast as automatics and certainly not every single time you stop the engine to say: add fuel to  the tank or when you open the petcock just before starting the engine. All these short instances of start-ups and shut downs   which occur many times during a single  ride has your  manual petcock  flowing  full wide open even if it is for a few seconds and  that is all it takes at full wide open and full pressure (plus a leaky float valve) to cause a hydro lock.That does not happen with an auto petcock even on  a failed auto petcock. The very worst failures on an automatic petcock is a slow dribble at low pressure.

So again if you have an automatic petcock make sure it is maintained. If you have a manual petcock and even IF you always turn it off and ON as fast as you can EVERY single stop AND  turning the fuel flow on before  the starting   of your  engine your  increasing your risk 10 fold over automatics.  It normally takes overnight with a dribbling Auto pet-cock to cause hydro-lock  but  it only take just a couple of seconds with a wide open full flowing manual pet cock.
JMHO.  Thanks

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 08:48:10 PM »
The same kind of debris that could cause the vacuum shutoff to leak could plug the overflow tubes. 

If you have a chunk of debris large enough to choke shut an overflow tube  you have something seriously not right on your bike. I would say you have a hole in the tank screen which needs to be fixed.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 07:50:05 AM »
Automatic petcocks shut off the fuel flow the very instant the engine is no longer creating vacuum. That goes for starting the engine as well. Humans  are  no where near as fast as automatics...

Quite the fanciful bit of writing....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »
It is proven the auto petcock is unreliable. Hence the proliferation of rebuild kits and manual replacements.
Besides the real problem is the poor design of the float valves.

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 11:47:59 AM »
Appreciate the analysis, Daytona...yes, there was some damage.  Better now that the hydrolock prevention is not based on a flimsy screen.

You may be amused to learn that I turn off the petcock BEFORE I turn off the engine.  Faster than the automatic.  If I am not going to be riding for a while - we do get some Winter up here - I can run the fuel bowls dry if I like.  I like.  And yes, I turn on the fuel AFTER I start the engine.  Again, faster to anticipate than react.    I thought about the reaction time issue when I was fabricating a temporary solution by the side of the road 100 miles from home, and there is my response.

Thanks for the lively discussion...

161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 02:33:45 PM »
I've been riding C-10s since 1990, a little over 23 years and a few 100,000 miles. I've had very few petcock problems. In every case the petcock would develop a slight external leak. I've never had one fail to the point where it would leak internally into the fuel line. I've rebuilt several including on friends bikes. The Kawasaki kit has worked well in every case where it was used, the K&L has not done as well in the few times we have tried it.

I don't do cars, I ride the bike for all of my transportation. The chance of me leaving the petcock turned on is great considering how often I ride and How often I'm on and off the bike.

I would not consider a manual petcock, as I feel the chance of me leaving the petcock turned on is far greater than the chance of the petcock failing. YMMV
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."