Author Topic: KTM 690 Enduro R  (Read 4163 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
KTM 690 Enduro R
« on: January 26, 2015, 10:51:56 AM »
Been researching adventure bikes to eventually replace my Suzuki DR650 with a proper adventure bike. The big ADV bikes (BMW R1200GS, Yamaha Super Tenre, KTM 1190 ADV, etc) I'm sure are all great machines with tons of power and carrying capability but they just seem too heavy for off road. To make up for my lack of off road skills I really want to stay with something light. But I want better on road capability than my DR650 or a KLR can offer. Enter the KTM 690 Enduro R. Lighter than either of the low end bikes just mentioned but half again the power. Plus lots of great features such as throttle by wire w multiple maps, 250 mm of suspension, inverted forks, 21" front and 10" back wheels, off road ABS that can be turned off. This just might be the ADV bike for me. Any body with any experience with this bike? Haven't seen Chet around recently but would love to hear from him. stevewfl what say you now with you KLR vs KTM experience? If your wondering what the bike looks like this is the best pic of the bike I've found:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: KTM 690 Enduro R
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 03:29:37 PM »
The 690 is more like the KLR. I'd rivk it in a heartbeat.

For more rugged and better performing off road but less road friendly  (still tagged, a requirement when riding spot to spot in the desert/Moab/etc), the 500/525/530  are a lot lighter and more purpose built.  Note these are all 500 cc bikes, KTM just changed the name up.

I went with a 530 that fell in my lap for pennies and has proven to be indestructible.  Its been to death valley, moab, the high desert, AZ, etc and I can;t say enough about it.

No matter which way you go, you'll appreciate the bike for than any of its jap competitors for many reasons!

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15899.msg194637#msg194637
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:12:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply Steve! I don't know what you mean by "I'd rivk it in a heartbeat". I certainly like the idea of better performing off road but I still want some road friendly. I want to do with it what I do with my DR650 and what you did with your KLR. I want to put loaded panniers on it, leave the garage in CO (or TX for that matter) and get lost for 2 weeks. Maybe end up in Idaho or someplace. Would you take your 530 on the same cross country trip you did on the KLR?

My biggest problem with the DR is the suspension is too soft when loaded and difficult to adjust. That can be rectified and it's a great bike for the money and what it is but I don't think its worth putting a lot of money into that bike. The engine has plenty of power for me off road but just too gutless on road. Half again the power on the 690 I think would make a huge difference and hoping the WP suspension with inverted forks would be far better out of the box than anything I could do on the DR.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 03:19:53 PM »
You must get the KTM. You will love  it.  Since buying my KTM I dirt ride most of the time. The most fun I have ever had on any bike is this crazy fast KTM.

Then you have to build a shrine  for your KTM and take good care of it.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle