Author Topic: Upgraded to Windows 10 last Saturday...  (Read 23948 times)

Offline Mettler1

Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 last Saturday...
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2016, 10:55:41 PM »
What antivirus is good with 10?
   I gave up on aftermarket antivirus". They screwed things more than they helped. Just let Windows 10 do it's thing and everything runs fine!!
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2016, 04:40:19 AM »
I installed the Win 10 update on my laptop and my desktop yesterday. First I created an ISO image for both PCs on a DVD (just in case) and then did the update from the link at the MS site. It all went without a hitch and so far I'm digging 10. I've done MANY an update over the years that I've worked in IT and this was the easiest update ever.

The only issue that I has was with the laptop. The update 'app' on the taskbar didn't seem to work correctly. I initiated the download from the app and it told me that it was 'getting ready' to download the update. It stayed that was for a LONG time till I canceled it. I went to the MS site and initiated the DL from there and everything went fine.  For whatever reason my desktop didn't have the taskbar app.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2016, 04:43:00 AM »
what's ISO

Offline Conrad

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2016, 04:46:10 AM »
what's ISO

"ISO image is a term commonly associated with CD and DVD burning. An ISO image (or .ISO file) is a computer file that is an exact copy of an existing file system."

Making an ISO image on a disk creates a bootable DVD that allows one to do a 'clean' install of the OS. Boot from the DVD, reformat the drive, and then install the OS.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2016, 04:37:44 PM »
I wonder why I didn't get bugged to update to Windows 10...doesn't it work on Mac?
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »
I'm thinking not..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2016, 04:04:50 PM »
Just joking...actually I have 3 PC's running windows 10 with no issues, 1 Mac with the latest software no issues on it either. Both platforms have their strong points and weak points. I think that the Microsoft software is more polished and user friendly than the Mac. Windows 10 has been just fine for me, it took a little time to get used to the differences from Windows 8 but once I learned the differences I think it is the best OS out of Microsoft.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2016, 03:20:29 PM »
Wow..
I'm late to the trainwreck, had to buy a real computer for momma so she could do business, just picked up a Lenova 15.6" nice unit, must say...
MS 10 home came on it... I felt pretty stupid working to setup with Office and Kasparsky, but it only took a couple hours to start feeling comfey with the new "dummy systems" type navigation and icon driven menues and such...being old school XP driven, I always like the old style "list" menues...and trees that I can scroll thru...
Well, I guess I move forward into the future, thank goodness I can run old tech, because it sure comes in handy...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2016, 09:00:46 PM »
You can still do that with StarDock sw..  http://www.stardock.com/products/start10/
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2016, 04:54:33 AM »
Windows 10 says that it will delete the previous version of Windows that it replaced automatically in 30 days after the upgrade. Did anyone notice if this happened on their machine?

I did the upgrade on 7/20 and as far as I can tell the old files are still present.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2016, 12:16:30 PM »
You believed MS?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2016, 12:48:19 PM »
Not so much, that's why I checked to see if the old files where still there.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2016, 12:50:56 AM »
I still have the 'hidden' restore partition (to Win7) on both my confusers after ?? months of running 10.

Thus far I'm reasonably pleased with 10, but miss some of the Win7 Start menu fly-outs.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2016, 05:11:05 AM »
Where is it kept?  Can't find it on mine.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2016, 05:34:14 AM »
It's hidden.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2016, 05:46:00 AM »
Where is it kept?  Can't find it on mine.

Use the clean up system files option and you'll see the files. What's strange on mine is that yesterday the old files where there and today they are not. I guess Win10 knew I was questioning the 30 day deletion.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2016, 01:05:38 PM »
I didn't see anything of that size so I'm thinking it thinks that everything was hunkydory and deleted it, which is ok by me.  I ain't going backwards.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2016, 01:21:17 PM »
Have  you met Ned Ludd?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2016, 06:48:21 AM »
Did he ride a C14?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2016, 06:53:11 AM »
c10 I'd think