Author Topic: Buell!  (Read 5999 times)

YoDoc

Buell!
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:29:08 PM »

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
Re: Buell!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:24:23 AM »
Eric Buell is a motorcycle genius.  CycleWorld ran an article about Buell's (the HD Company) demise and it was very interesting to read about how Eric and his team constantly came up with very innovative ideas but were shut down by HD Corporate because it would either a) cannibalize sportster sales or b) wasn't in line with what HD stood for.  Despite being forced to use engines and parts that weren't always ideal for the situation, they still came up with some pretty impressive bikes. 

While we will probably never see another true lineup of motorcycles bearing the Buell name, its great to see Eric and his team have at least found a niche market making high end sport bikes.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 06:32:18 AM »
i like it, but $40k........

YoDoc

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 07:02:16 AM »
Really is a genius. Back when I was riding a Sportster, I always wondered why a bike with sport in the name wasn't more like a Buell. Then the XR came out and I was excited, until I saw the actual specs. I like Harleys, but they made many stupid mistakes managing Buell.

It's really, really sad that Harley had to kill the only affordable American sport bike just to keep their image.

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 08:10:34 AM »
My first brand-new bike was a '98 Buell S1.  I had some problems with it, but it was mostly due to that fine piece of motor in the frame.  The bike ended up occupying a soft spot in my heart at any rate and it's one bike I wish I had never gotten rid of.

When I read the CW article about the games HD played with Buell,  I nearly popped a gasket.  Erik Buell could've brought HD into the 21st century.  Instead HD buys a floundering boutique brand.  Buell could've built the same bike in-house.  I'm glad that HD was able to get rid of MV Augusta for $1. 

Personally, I feel that Erik Buell's new bike is a big-fat middle finger to HD and it makes me happy.  Another thing that Erik Buell did that gave him mega-points in my book is that up to this point he has never uttered a bad word about HD.  Not one.  Quite the opposite if you've read the most recent article in the AMA magazine. 

I feel like a new person!

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
I met Eric and did a magazine interview on him maybe 10 years ago. Very cool guy, definitely a hard-core biker not a HD Poser. I asked him "the question" about why he was using HD engines, and his explanation was that it was the only thing he could get back when. Had nothing to do with actually wanting to use them.

Hey, HD is rumored to be a take-over target. I suggest they hire Eric as CEO!

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 06:18:02 PM »
As more bikes are made, prices usually come down, its that way with everything.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 07:27:11 PM »
As more bikes are made, prices usually come down, its that way with everything.

Apparently Ducati has not heard of this natural law. Please forward a copy to them. Thanks!

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 07:43:46 PM »
Apparently Ducati has not heard of this natural law. Please forward a copy to them. Thanks!

Its not their fault, you can't hear anything over their dry clutches!   ;D
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

YoDoc

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 07:50:50 PM »
Its not their fault, you can't hear anything over their dry clutches!   ;D

I used to ride with a friend of mine who has a Ducati ST2. He, his dad, and I used to go on some pretty good rides when I was out in NC, and we used to rib him about the clutch noise, asking him if his valves were adjusted right, was his bike mad at him, etc. Then, suddenly, he found a mod that makes them quiet! Needless to say, I had to revert to ribbing him for being short... LOL.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 08:01:30 PM »
I used to ride with a friend of mine who has a Ducati ST2. He, his dad, and I used to go on some pretty good rides when I was out in NC, and we used to rib him about the clutch noise, asking him if his valves were adjusted right, was his bike mad at him, etc. Then, suddenly, he found a mod that makes them quiet! Needless to say, I had to revert to ribbing him for being short... LOL.

The old tambourine clutch ducati 848

YoDoc

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 08:29:37 PM »
That is HI LARIOUS...

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 08:36:47 PM »
Glad to see Buell back on the map!

Offline Connito

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
Personally, I feel that Erik Buell's new bike is a big-fat middle finger to HD and it makes me happy.  Another thing that Erik Buell did that gave him mega-points in my book is that up to this point he has never uttered a bad word about HD.  Not one.  Quite the opposite if you've read the most recent article in the AMA magazine.
+1 on that!

I am really happy he is back in black!

Cheers,
Pete
"Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it”