Author Topic: a 193 MPH squid.  (Read 4699 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
a 193 MPH squid.
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:51:26 AM »
http://www.wral.com/news/national_world/national/story/11156154/

"ROSENDALE, N.Y. — Authorities say a 28-year-old man in upstate New York has been charged with driving his motorcycle at nearly 200 mph on a highway in the rain.

State police say a trooper clocked Anthony Anderson of Poughkeepsie driving at 193 mph around 8 p.m. Wednesday in the southbound lanes of Interstate 87 just south of Albany — the same stretch of road where another motorcyclist was spotted doing 166 mph earlier this month.

The trooper was able to get a description of the high-performance bike and alerted nearby patrols.

Troopers eventually stopped Anderson in the town of Rosendale. He told them he was headed to a hospital to visit a patient.

Anderson was issued 14 traffic tickets, including one for speeding.

It couldn't be immediately determined if he had a lawyer.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: a 193 MPH squid.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:47:01 PM »
14 tickets?  How many different ways are there to speed? 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:13:11 PM »
I can guess a few of them. I bet Jay can throw a few more out there.

1. Reckless endangerment
2. Eluding an officer
3. Dangerous and aggressive tailgating
4. Excessive speeding on any public road
5. Aggravated assault with a vehicle
6. Passing in a no passing zone
7. Dangerous weaving through traffic
8. Speeding through a construction zone

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 01:41:15 PM »
I bet "driving too fast for conditions" (rain) was somewhere  in the ticket pile too  ;)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 02:04:12 PM »
I noticed that they didn't mention him doing jail time or a bail amount like they did the other guy who was caught doing 166 mph in the same area.

I wonder what kind of "high performance" bike he was driving?  ::)
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 03:16:41 PM »

1. Reckless endangerment
2. Eluding an officer

You still have six more to go.   ;D

I hope he was arrested and had his bike impounded for that showcase of stupidity.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 04:45:21 PM »
You still have six more to go.   ;D

I hope he was arrested and had his bike impounded for that showcase of stupidity.

6 more is simple for the ^%$%ing cops.  I'm not a cop and can think of things such as illegal turn signals (flush mount), tires no good tread, illegal tag mount, no tag mount light, might have blockof plates in place of mirrors,  etc etc etc on a sport bike  :D

Offline vman

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 05:11:59 PM »
but ..... we all want to know.... what kind of bike!!!!!????  speed Voyeurism does exist in bikers...even though it is stupid and dangerous and irresponsible... :-X

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 05:24:15 PM »
As utterly stupid as this was on public roads I find it hard to not find his nerve impressive, even more so in the rain.  He's lucky it was public law that caught up to him before mama nature did.

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 05:41:16 PM »
Still 14 tickets?  I'm sure you would get off easier for trying to rob a bank.  Why do they have to seek things out,  why not just write the things that happened.  If we are going to enforce laws, enforce all of them, all the time...   Not just when you are pissed at some stupid kid.

And yes, I do not believe officers should have discression.  that is what judges and jurries are for.  Officers are there to deliver them to the courts. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:35:36 PM by Elfmaze »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 06:26:25 PM »

1. Reckless endangerment
2. Eluding an officer

:-[ 

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 06:27:43 PM »
That's pretty fast in the rain, he must have had the PR3's eh?  ;D :thumbs:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 07:04:38 PM »
That's pretty fast in the rain, he must have had the PR3's eh?  ;D :thumbs:

Yes sir

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 07:28:22 PM »
If I was the Cop:
I'd finish my book of tickets on the asshat, called a wrecker and have the bike drug on its side up onto the flatbed, and chained down. I put afformentioned asshat behind bars with a bunch of club members from an HD group, and as he was going in say: "so you don't like Harleys or their riders".
But that's just me.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 08:38:45 PM »
If I was the Cop:
I'd finish my book of tickets on the asshat, called a wrecker and have the bike drug on its side up onto the flatbed, and chained down. I put afformentioned asshat behind bars with a bunch of club members from an HD group, and as he was going in say: "so you don't like Harleys or their riders".
But that's just me.
Ride safe all.
Greg

What does that accomplish besides getting 90% of them tossed out by the prosecution before trial, and makes sure the next kid who gets wig wags in the rear view defiantly does not want to stop.   And guaranteeing the kid will never be able to get a decent job,  meaning I will have to pay for him the rest of his life.   

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 04:03:05 AM »
I will pay to not have this guy try it again and possibly endanger my family, not worried about him.

Reread the post, if 14 tickets were warranted, the officer did the right thing. I was not there so I do not know what the 14 tickets were for, when you find out we will decide if they were "applicable" or not I guess.

Shoot, I'm mad and I was not there! Each ticket carries a penalty, so it may keep him off the street for a few days longer.

And on today's bikes, almost any 1Kcc or bigger with the right computer programming will do this: right now they are supposedly  electronically limited to 186MPH. So name the manufacturer, including BMW.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 07:12:59 AM »
I will pay to not have this guy try it again and possibly endanger my family, not worried about him.

Reread the post, if 14 tickets were warranted, the officer did the right thing. I was not there so I do not know what the 14 tickets were for, when you find out we will decide if they were "applicable" or not I guess.

Shoot, I'm mad and I was not there! Each ticket carries a penalty, so it may keep him off the street for a few days longer.

And on today's bikes, almost any 1Kcc or bigger with the right computer programming will do this: right now they are supposedly  electronically limited to 186MPH. So name the manufacturer, including BMW.

Easily cheated with a few mods, software and sprocket changes

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 11:06:59 AM »
I'm guessing that when the facts come out, it will be much like the "205mph" RC51 skywatch ticket several years ago.  As reported, the story just doesn't hold water.  Yeah, the guy probably was speeding, but getting an accurated 193mph clocking in the rain is somewhat unlikely, as well as some of the other details. 
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 11:26:01 AM »
There have been several members here who have reportedly found their bikes speed limiter of 155mph but noone was calling for their heads on the chopping block. Is the extra 40mph this guy was doing that much more horrible???  WTF!!!
I read the news report yesterday and I may have forgotten it but I don't recall it saying he was riding in t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops. I thought that was pretty much the definition of squids. So how did he rate being a squid?
I am guessing a newer ZX-14 that had been modded a little to bypass the speed limiter wouldn't take long to go from a regular highway speed of 70 or 80 up to the 193 he was clocked at. He may have just seen a long stretch of open interstate and decided to open it up to see what it would do. Even the rain story could have been bs just to make up another ticket. 14 tickets is stupid and the cop was just piling on. 4 would have been sufficient, 2 would have been realistic, speeding and wreckless driving.
With the thousands of hard core criminal biker types out there giving bikers a bad name, I don't think this guy is worth worrying about as far as image goes.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 02:01:21 PM »
"like" this ^