Author Topic: C14 rider's opinion of the 1700 Voyager.  (Read 18105 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: C14 rider's opinion of the 1700 Voyager.
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 09:49:42 AM »
^^^^^^^   
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 10:23:04 AM »

I don't know, I had an RC51 and it was pretty modern. Loved it.

water cooled, that one really is a modern example.  We were talking Vulcans and Hardley Ablesons and such  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline texrider

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 11:54:28 PM »
I took one out for demo, and have to say it's pretty sad really.
The Vulcan 2000 could tow three of these while carrying one, faster than you can go on one.
A Yamaha Venture with carbs is a far better touring cruiser.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 03:59:05 AM »
As was the XII with carbs.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 05:51:58 AM »
"The Vulcan 2000 could tow three of these while carrying one, faster than you can go on one.
A Yamaha Venture with carbs is a far better touring cruiser."

I find that interesting.  A lot of people were upset they never put that 2,000 in a touring cruiser.  I have never ridden a Voyager but did ride a Venture a few years ago and thought it was far better than I suspected.   I rode a Victory Vision for three years before the C14. I tried to do simple tuning stuff and was never satisfied with the result. I should of left it stock. The C14 on the other hand has no glaring faults in stock tune.  That has been a pleasure.  I rode a 2007 H-D Ultra and that bike was the same for me as the Vision, could never get it right as far as tune. Those bikes are an excuse to buy stuff. I think I am talking myself out of this whole mess.  This is what happens after sitting at home for a few weeks recouping from the accident.  What is the saying. Idle minds are the devil's playground.
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline PH14

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 09:10:20 AM »
water cooled, that one really is a modern example.  We were talking Vulcans and Hardley Ablesons and such  ;D

Yeah, I understand. I actually do appreciate Harleys and bikes like MotoGuzzi but I wouldn't classify their engines as "modern."

Offline PH14

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 09:11:23 AM »
I took one out for demo, and have to say it's pretty sad really.
The Vulcan 2000 could tow three of these while carrying one, faster than you can go on one.
A Yamaha Venture with carbs is a far better touring cruiser.

The Venture is much better. As a matter of fact, I was interested in buying one not long ago, until I realized it still used carbs.  ::)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 09:28:05 AM »
Yeah, I understand. I actually do appreciate Harleys and bikes like MotoGuzzi but I wouldn't classify their engines as "modern."

Bingo.

You can do anything you want to the thing, but a 45 degree VTwin design is horribly outdated and intentionally obtuse now.  The antitheses of "modern".  The only reason it still exists it because people actually think such bikes are SUPPOSED to sound stupid, perform poorly, and vibrate the s*** out of you, or "look" a certain way.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 09:51:36 AM »
Wife hauling is the intention.  I just rode a Goldwing and remembered why I sold mine in 2003.  The wife loved the GL1800 though.  I don't blame her but I just could not ever get comfortable with the riding position or the handling.
I know the the Voyager is a slug compared to the C14.

They handle INCREDIBLE, and the riding position for most is about as comfy as comfy can get. The Voyager and many other bikes are slugs compared to a Wing, if the Wife loved it sounds like you should look at that option again. Happy Wife happy life. She is not gonna be comfy on a Ducati Diavel that is for sure.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 09:56:06 AM »
Max I have no illusions of what a big v-twin is but do beg to differ with the 'sound stupid' remark.  You see I bought my first Harley in 1980 and have ridden a few BMW's in my time and even a late model Indian (horrible bike).  But I know very few older motorcyclists  that would say a that a shovelhead electra glide sounds stupid.  To me that is some beautiful music.  As far as the 1700 Voyager I think that they have a different but still beautiful exhaust tone and that is part of the attraction, it is relaxing.  I hate what Harley has become and the whole crowd that populates the group but I have a few close friends that ride Harleys that put on miles that many C14 rides could dream of and have no problem with 600-800 mile days if they need to get some where.  For the most part their bikes are comfortable  and dependable and they arrive in pretty good shape.  I am still trying to get this C14 to do the same for me.  Now these are not built for road racing that is a given. I think most people judge Harley or the V twins by the crowd that gathers around them, I have no use for the culture.  I can say this now that I will never own another Harley for as long as I live, they are a younger wealthier mans money pit and I am too close to retirement. Hence I am still here.

Thanks Pokey for understanding and this was what I was looking for. By the way Pokey I lived in Canfield Ohio when I bought my 1980 Tour Glide and put on 34,000 miles in a year and a half before it was stolen. I love motorcycles and if I would look down on the people riding something other that I that would make me nothing more than a C14 version of the people I don't care for.
Walt
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 10:29:06 AM by wroman »
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline sf bay rider

• Humble student of the ZG1400
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 10:22:23 AM »
I have an 09 Connie and a 10 Voyager. I enjoy both bikes very much. Both have provided me with good service and relative low cost to maintain. Despitie some recalls, which have been addressed. I would purchase similar units even today. The Voyager has been well complimented by varied age groups. Even an 87 y/o lady. "That bike has presense" So for the detractors. This bike comes Grand Mother approved.  Better yet. The Voyager averages 42 MPG where my Connie gets about 38 MPG. 

So, if you're heart is set on getting a Voyager 1700. Go for it. I have enjoyed many long trips on it and will continue to do so for many years. Just make sure to get ABS brakes. A real life saver IMHO

More as things develop
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 10:47:50 AM »
Max I have no illusions of what a big v-twin is but do beg to differ with the 'sound stupid' remark.

That's OK :)  Each person has his own "ear".  To me, an attractive engine sound is something that is smooth, consistent, efficient, and quiet.

I have a few close friends that ride Harleys that put on miles that many C14 rides could dream of and have no problem with 600-800 mile days if they need to get some where.  For the most part their bikes are comfortable  and dependable and they arrive in pretty good shape.

And if everything else were the same except it were a 90 degree V twin or V four or even inline 4, it would be even MORE comfortable and dependable.

I think most people judge Harley or the V twins by the crowd that gathers around them, I have no use for the culture.

Some do, but I am speaking specifically to the outmoded/throwback "technology" of the engine design.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 11:13:04 AM »
So, if you're heart is set on getting a Voyager 1700. Go for it. I have enjoyed many long trips on it and will continue to do so for many years. Just make sure to get ABS brakes. A real life saver IMHO

I agree with the this statement. However, I'm not sure why Kawasaki saw fit not to put ABS on the Voyager Vaquero. That is essentially the same bike as the 1700 Voyager; but it has no ABS. My brother almost went down this past weekend because a cager  pulled out
in front of him on a two lane country road. She didn't see him, and pulled right out in front of him. He left a 20 foot "rear break" tire skid on the road. luckily he slid to a stop. If he'd released the rear he could have high sided right into the path of the car.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2013, 12:07:40 PM »
If it has 2 wheels I will more than likely enjoy it for what it is, much more than what it is not.  8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 12:29:38 PM »
If it has 2 wheels I will more than likely enjoy it for what it is, much more than what it is not.  8)

That sounds very philosophical and poetic...

Offline PH14

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2013, 12:44:35 PM »
He left a 20 foot "rear break" tire skid on the road. luckily he slid to a stop. If he'd released the rear he could have high sided right into the path of the car.

Glad he is okay, but he almost went down because he stomped the rear brake in a panic instead of using it correctly, not because it didn't have ABS. Happens all the time. I'm glad he had the presence of mind to ride it out instead of releasing and high-siding as you said. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 03:46:07 PM »
That sounds very philosophical and poetic...
Pull up a chair and pass the pipe.  :)

Offline pistole

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 04:15:24 PM »
Glad he is okay, but he almost went down because he stomped the rear brake in a panic instead of using it correctly, not because it didn't have ABS. Happens all the time. I'm glad he had the presence of mind to ride it out instead of releasing and high-siding as you said.

- umm , thats kinda the definition of panic braking.

- read up on ABS brakes (on all types of vehicles , not just bikes) with an open mind. Don't be prejudiced and dogmatic.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 05:22:07 PM »
Pull up a chair and pass the pipe.  :)

I'm in!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2013, 09:00:08 AM »
- umm , thats kinda the definition of panic braking.

- read up on ABS brakes (on all types of vehicles , not just bikes) with an open mind. Don't be prejudiced and dogmatic.

That isn't being judgemental and dogmatic, it is being realistic. It is just a further reminder that we need to practice emergency braking techniques so we don't lock the rear wheel. Yes, ABS would have prevented that, but people have done without ABS for decades and if you don;t have it, you need to be sure you will be able to brake correctly in an emergency situation. Too many people have a bad habit of stomping the rear brake out of habit, a habit that is "practiced" on a daily basis while riding, instead of using the front and back brake correctly. I see this a lot with my friends who ride cruisers, although I have seen riders of all types of bike do it.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mean, I was just pointing out the fact the fault wasn't with the lack of ABS, but instead the improper use of the brake. Brakes aren't just for slowing gently to a stop at a stop sign, they are to be able to be used to stop in an emergency situation. People today have been conditioned to simply stomp the brake in their cars due to ABS, that won't work on a motorcycle that does not have ABS. Braking skills are becoming a thing of the past. Unfortunately, if you are riding a bike without them, you need those skills.