Author Topic: Runnin' a C14, X-country style  (Read 19272 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Runnin' a C14, X-country style
« on: July 03, 2011, 08:59:14 PM »
House sitter in place and to launch the trip I wanted to hurry and get out of the Southeast.  Also I never did the Iron Butt 1,000 miles in 24 hours thing.  So I did both. Day/Night one I rode 1100 miles from Tampa to Ft Smith, Arkansas only stopping for gas.  Took me 17 hours but thats 'cuz I did a lot of "off the freeway" stuff on my favorite back roads in GA and Northern Alabama.

Phone pic:

OK, I haven't had time to take pics yet. But D*MN its hot up here! Real Phillip's 66 signs in OK, home of that company before they merged with Conoco-

Going to hit "Dodge City" Kansas on way to Rocky Mountains, Denver/Boulder and southern Utah. North Rim of Grand Canyon doing the tourist newB thing (I never been there!) Then seeing a special friend and rolling dice in Vegas...then all over Cali....  and Phoenix and Dallas for friends, Lousianna for cajun food, I hope to eat there for days...   Will check in soon hopefully with some decent pics.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Runnin' a C14, X-country style
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 09:46:53 PM »
 :popcorn:

"Ride" on Steve!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 10:25:26 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 10:29:33 PM »
Let me know when you're coming through the Phoenix area - I'll buy you a cold bevie! Just so you know though, it's HOT here too. Officially 118 yesterday, but my thermometer here at the house saw 120.0 for the high  :o. Be safe - there's a lot of kooks out there!

Dave
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 10:32:09 PM »
Let me know when you're coming through the Phoenix area - I'll buy you a cold bevie! Just so you know though, it's HOT here too. Officially 118 yesterday, but my thermometer here at the house saw 120.0 for the high  :o. Be safe - there's a lot of kooks out there!

Dave

Thank you sir, I'll holler' when I get near you.  I hold Phoenix dear after living there and now missing it for years!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 06:53:16 AM »
You ever work? :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 08:58:25 AM »
You ever work? :o

Yes sir, most of my day posts come from business trip airports, hotels, or during the occasional boring conference calls I sit on.  This rare "ride" is because I took vacation from the grind!

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 09:05:28 AM »
Right on!, and Ride ON!

I was thinking of doing something crazy like that this summer myself.  Even though my vacation time at work is maxed out, it's still tough to break away.  Glad to see someone out there 'livin the dream'.

If it gets too hot for you down south, it's now officially summer here in the PNW.  We're blue sky and sunny for the next few months (82F today), and rarely break 100F here in PDX.  Come on up and enjoy!  We'll show you around to all the good stuff.  8)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 11:26:05 AM »
Yes sir, most of my day posts come from business trip airports, hotels, or during the occasional boring conference calls I sit on.  This rare "ride" is because I took vacation from the grind!

Glad ya got out and enjoyed yourself!!!! 8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 03:13:18 AM »
Glad ya got out and enjoyed yourself!!!! 8)

Thanks!

Made it to Vance AFB Oklahoma and visited my son and his girl.  Wow @ his Air Traffic Control center.

Then rolled across the plains of OK and Kansas, hung out in Dodge City, and made it all the way to Denver tonight! I think I'm psycho going 600 miles on VERY RURAL back roads in 108 degree heat, the locals advised against it unless I rode with someone. I went sometimes 50 miles without seeing a living human or even a cow.

This exactly what I saw all day.

I was so excited to see a tree and cows I had to stop and see if it was a hallucination.

The locals warned me not to step off the side of the road without snake boots and such. But I had to get a pic of this weird plant.

Fields of nothing, but hi-tech windmills cover power for Buffalo, Kansas. They are proud of their Bison but no one in that 400 people town could show me one.

Made new friends in Dodge City Kansas.  They explained Dorothy nor Toto is there, but Wyatt Earp is the town hero there. Everything is about him in that town too. I almost stopped at 300 miles and stayed at the Wyatt Erp Inn, but I went on to CO.

Ok now I'm in Denver, where I wanted to be!  Was tough getting here, a few thousand miles in a few days.  I'm going to criss-cross the Rockies a few times.  Meeting some forum friends that will take me to the highest spot. Hopefully I'll have an opportunity to take pics here that aren't sunblown out...  west OK and Ks was incredibly bright and hot!

Offline cheapbastard

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 07:37:17 AM »
niiiiiiiiice, I'm headed out to the rockies myself in just under 52 days... but who's counting, right?  ;D

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 07:50:04 AM »
Be safe - there's a lot of kooks out there!

One more now that Steve is out there too.  ;)

Have a fun and SAFE ride Steve. Wish I wuz there.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 07:57:43 AM »
Ride safe, if you are in my area on your return trip just give me a holler and I will have you over to my casa for a cold beverage and a quick check of your KiPass system to make sure it is keeping your beer cold and your women hot.  ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 08:16:14 AM »
Yep OK is pretty ugly this time of year, particular with the drought we're having.  Looks like a fun trip none the less.  Your son has excellent taste in colleges by the way.  Go Dawgs!
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline cheapbastard

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 09:54:50 AM »
Your son has excellent taste in colleges women by the way.

:chugbeer: ;D

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 04:13:03 PM »
Hey Steve, just found this. Looks like ya got it working for ya.

Nice pix. This has epic ride written all over it.

Roll on.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 09:40:50 PM »
Hey Steve, just found this. Looks like ya got it working for ya.

Nice pix. This has epic ride written all over it.

Roll on.

Thanks!  Yes Sir - Just good times all over America, epic indeed!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 09:49:57 PM »
Since I got into Denver in the wee hours of the morning after knocking off another 750 miles through 108 degree heat, I mentioned to Stavee I was going to relax a little today.  So he said "see you in a little" and I noticed on the ODO we went over 100 miles in the canyons and mountains (Denver area). Was so awesome him showing me those roads and I'm appreciative.

Tomorrow we'll get serious and go into Rockies starting with Rocky Mountain Nationa Park and climbing over 14,000 ft recomended by both Steve J. and Stavee. It'll start with riding to Rick's for the coffee.

Anyway, the pics do the canyons and mountains we rode today very little justice as the sun was so bright. Hopefully I'll have some real tripod pics tomorrow-

Zoomed down from a 10,000 ft mountain overlooking Coors brewing company in Golden, Co.  (Coors plant - middle of pic)

Nearby mountains being hammered with snow

Buffulo Bill had a nice place on a mountain overlooking downtown Denver.  Went to his crib and his grave.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:31:06 AM by stevewfl »

Offline NautiOne

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 08:20:54 PM »
Be safe and ride hard, brother Steve!   If the Northshore area of New Orleans (I-10 thru Mandeville) is on your agenda, please look me up. I've got tools, spare Connie parts, and a great eye for local Cajun, Creole, or other local food joints.  Your lunch is on me !
"Now, bring me that horizon"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 12:31:39 AM »
Be safe and ride hard, brother Steve!   If the Northshore area of New Orleans (I-10 thru Mandeville) is on your agenda, please look me up. I've got tools, spare Connie parts, and a great eye for local Cajun, Creole, or other local food joints.  Your lunch is on me !

Nautione thanks I'll do that!