Author Topic: Napa 3006 Gold Inline Fuel Filter  (Read 9508 times)

Offline iMotoPilot

Napa 3006 Gold Inline Fuel Filter
« on: May 13, 2011, 12:00:33 PM »
Good day everyone.  Just went by my local NAPA store to pickup a new Napa 3006 Fuel filter.  Thinking it would be just like I purchased the times before - with a paper type of element.   They handed me a Napa 3006 Gold filter with a metal type of screen - just like whats on our petcocks.   Asked the good counter person if they still make the one with the paper type and he explained this is a better version and would flow better.  Please let me know what you guys/gals think. 

Cheers!
Lucky has got me this far and tricky will get me in.   apc

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Napa 3006 Inline Fuel Filter - GOLD?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:42:24 PM »
Looks cool.  It probably is better.  It looks like the screen is actually plastic?  I might have to actually get one now.  At least you can see the fuel in it now.  Are the outlet/inlet sizes the same as before?
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline iMotoPilot

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 12:47:15 PM »
Good question RFH87_Connie, according to the catalog - 5/16".  I believe it's the same.   Thanks for the response!!

BK

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 12:50:56 PM »
Most of the time when a vendor builds something in clear plastic it makes it hard to hide shoddy workmanship so the part may be typically better.  It might even have been re-engineered because of today's fuels.  Then again, maybe just because it looks cool.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Lodogg2221

Re: Napa 3006 Gold Inline Fuel Filter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 12:54:15 PM »
That looks exactly like the Purolator filter I bought a while back, thats sitting on my shelf. 
I believe it is a better filter, but havent used it because I havent had a single issue with the carbs, and the tanks petcock filter was in great shape, AND there was no debris of any kind in the tank, so for now, no extra filter for me.
Say what?

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 01:10:45 PM »
Good post here , I was thinking the other day, Why don't more of US use an inline filter on our Connies?   As a safety measure?

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 01:28:11 PM »
Some bikes (not all) have issues when the fuel in the gas tank gets low.  I think everyones vent in the gas cap functions a little different related to the vacuum it can hold.  The weight (head pressure?) of the fuel is not enough to flow gas properly so the bike starves and/or will cut off.  I don't believe this has been proved by anyone, but it is a pretty good theory.  If everything is functioning and maintained properly, this is actually an unnecessary item.  If your bike acts up related to running rough, this should be the first thing you remove to troubleshoot.

Like I said before, I might try this one out despite of what I just said.  It is good insurance for the carbs.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:13:31 PM by RFH87_Connie »

Offline billhook

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 01:49:39 PM »
All the 3006s I've had over the past 6 years have been the mesh screen type.  The filter bodies have been opaque, not the clear, though.

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 07:36:56 AM »
Some bikes (not all) have issues when the fuel in the gas tank gets low.  I think everyones vent in the gas cap functions a little different related to the vacuum it can hold.  The weight (head pressure?) of the fuel is not enough to flow gas properly so the bike starves and/or will cut off.  I don't believe this has been proved by anyone, but it is a pretty good theory.  >>>SNIP<<< It is good insurance for the carbs.

+1  yep, I noticed this right after I installed my first one 9-10 yrs. ago...  But for some reason, I haven't noticed it over the past year or two as I routinely run the tank into the reserve zone.... The other downside is that it does slow down the fuel flow to the bowls & I have run into fuel starvation when hammerinmg the bike(let's say 90+ ;D) into a strong headwind!!!
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline iMotoPilot

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 07:45:57 AM »
I've been replacing mine every other oil change.  Over kill?

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 06:28:38 AM »
I've been replacing mine every other oil change.  Over kill?

Unless your tank is rusty or you have a habit of putting dirt in your tank, that's waaaaay to frequently.  Maybe every couple years.  Maybe every couple of valve adjustments.  Your tank should have a filter in it also that basically never gets changed or flushed.  Everyone forgets about it.  The 3006 is added downstream to catch the stuff that gets thru.  The factory filter does a good job until it warps and and/or if you get rust in the tank.

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 12:50:25 PM »
All the 3006s I've had over the past 6 years have been the mesh screen type.  The filter bodies have been opaque, not the clear, though.

Mine too.  If the filter medium of the 3006 was ever paper, it's news to me.

I stopped using an inline filter because of flow issues.  But when I was using the 3006, I would just back-flush it periodically when I had the tank off.
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 04:26:35 PM »
Well I now run a fuel filter because a piece of rubber FROM PETCOCK broke off and jammed needle and seat in carb (note to self always replace round rubber part behind valve when installing petcock rebuild kit).

I installed a "dirt bike" filter  and 1/4 hose, flow tested with, the double down shift passing maneuver...up to 110 mph.

Next time I will get a 3006
Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Offline bowtie39

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 12:30:13 PM »
Another option.....Pingel makes a good filter.  It is not a replaceable as it can be taken apart and contains a cleanable filter inside.  And it looks good! 
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper

Offline Stasch

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 04:32:44 PM »
Mine too.  If the filter medium of the 3006 was ever paper, it's news to me.

I think the earlier ones were paper.  The 3006 one on my C10 has an accordian folded cone shaped filter that appears to be paper.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 04:41:12 PM »
My 3006 also appears to be accordion folded paper.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F