Author Topic: MRA X-Creen Variable Windshield Extension  (Read 21155 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
MRA X-Creen Variable Windshield Extension
« on: January 11, 2014, 02:41:02 PM »
OK, this is the thread for my review of the MRA "X-Creen" variable windshield extension.  It is a German product, imported and sold by various entities.  It is available in two sizes- the smaller "sport" and the larger "touring".  It is also available in clear and tinted.  Finally, it comes as a permanent mount kit where you drill holes, or you can purchase it bundled with a clamp-on kit.   I purchased the clear, touring, clamp-on, $162 delivered, from Twisted Throttle.  It was delivered quickly and packed well.

It wasn't quite as wide as I expected it to be, and there were a lot of little parts.   The instructions are a bit cryptic, so I am glad Twisted Throttle had some videos posted on their site!  Took about 15 minutes to assemble (with some trial and error).  It can be used with a single joint setup or a double joint setup.  I am not sure why one would want to use the single joint, since the double offers so many more adjustment options.  It clamped onto the stock Concours windshield just fine and seems very solid.  All the parts seem well made and have an innovative design.

One can adjust the height and angle of the screen pretty quickly by rotating the four locking adjusters 90 degrees.  This can't be done safely while moving, but can be done with gloves on, as long as they are not really thick.  In its lowest position, the screen adds 3 inches to the main windscreen and it can be adjusting up to add many more inches.  When you approach about 75% extension upwards,  it will start to reveal a "slot hole" between the extension and main screen.  The added weight of the extension screen does create a bit more wobble on the main screen.  I have not gone faster than 90 with it on, yet, and that was with it on the lowest position of both the main and extension screens.

My ultimate goal is to obtain a much, much, much shorter main windscreen for summer use and move the X-Creen between it and the regular, full-sized Concours screen.  Using a small allen wrench, it takes only a moment to attach or detach the X-Creen.  Between two main screen sizes, and the motorized main screen, and the tons of adjustability of the X-Creen extender, I should be covered for all kinds of conditions.  One novel idea might even be to angle the X-Creen to CAPTURE and direct more air onto the driver in warm weather.  I am not sure that will work yet, nor if it is advisable from a loading standpoint.

I can't comment on how effective the screen is yet, because I have had only 30 minutes experience with it by the time I wrote this article (and most of that time riding I was severely distracted by a far more important new farkle).  I was rushing to get home before the severe storm and tornado warning.  Monitor this thread for updates- I will post findings over the next months.

Next postings will contain photos from various angles and a few different positions.  Photos tell a lot more about how it looks and explains the concept far better than I could with words.  I think that it looks pretty good and plan to probably always have it attached.

Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: MRA X-Creen Variable Windshield Extension
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 02:42:50 PM »
Photos
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 02:44:16 PM »
More photos

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 02:45:05 PM »
And yet more photos

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »
Thanks Max. If you used the drill option could you locate the mount position lower on the windshield?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
Thanks Max. If you used the drill option could you locate the mount position lower on the windshield?

Yes.  That is one of the advantages of using the drill method:

1) There is a little less weight
2) It looks a little more streamlined
3) It can be mounted lower (if you want), so it doesn't add the minimum 3 inches in height
4) A little less cost

It might be theoretically attached more securely, but not necessarily

But the clamp method:

1) Is easier and much faster for initial install
2) No potential to screw up the main windscreen by drilling incorrectly, slipping, chipping, etc
3) Screen can be moved easily to different bikes or different main windshields
4) Does not damage or alter the original main windshield in any way

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 03:19:25 PM »
As much as I hate to admit it, that's one nice looking bike, Max.  Thanks for taking the time to review that product.  :goodpost: :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 04:25:39 PM »
As much as I hate to admit it, that's one nice looking bike, Max.

You are just admitting it now??  :)  You have seen photos before... PLUS you have seen it in person!

Thanks for taking the time to review that product.  :goodpost: :thumbs:

This site is a wealth of information.  Like many, I try to give back wherever I possibly can.  It is great that there are so many cool and useful accessories for the Concours.  One of the best things about Kawasaki keeping the model "stable" for many years.  Had it not been for www.zggtr.org (and the defunct site we lost before this one), I would never have bought one.

Offline phoneman

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 04:26:52 PM »
  Looks good Max.  It will be nice if it will allow you to keep the main shield low enough to see over and calm the airflow down on the driver.

Let us know after you get a few more miles on it.

Thanks.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 04:50:27 PM »
You are just admitting it now??  :)  You have seen photos before... PLUS you have seen it in person!

This site is a wealth of information.  Like many, I try to give back wherever I possibly can.  It is great that there are so many cool and useful accessories for the Concours.  One of the best things about Kawasaki keeping the model "stable" for many years.  Had it not been for www.zggtr.org (and the defunct site we lost before this one), I would never have bought one.

;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 03:30:57 PM »
I put another 60 cold miles on it today.  Unfortunately, it doesn't really do what I had hoped, which is to get more air off my neck.  It might be reducing back pressure some, hard to tell right now.  I never had buffeting, so I can't address that.  If I lean forward with or without the X-Creen, my problems go away.  I sit tall, especially with the handlebar risers, and this puts me into a non-ideal, non-aerodynamic position.... but it is the position I need for my back and arms.  I think I probably need a wider windshield for below 60F use- the high/side air streams are coming back together on me instead of behind me.

More experimentation needed.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 04:03:46 PM »
It looks like you mounted that extension on the stock windshield...? If so, there is probably an underlying problem of the windshield not being vented sufficiently.

I found even the Gen. I windshields, as small as they were, generated significant suction (easy boys!) behind the windshield. The CalSci 6+, which is both wider and much taller than stock, does not generate this same effect and is far more pleasant because it has a large vent at the bottom / center of the windshield. The vent at first seems too big and that it would let rain (and even snow!) in in significant amounts. And it does but that does not matter because all the air that comes through the vent hole (easy!) goes virtually straight up behind the windshield and actually exits the rider's cockpit over my head. I too sit tall and actually look over a windshield / MRA visor (the first ones, not like yours) that is approx. 10" taller than stock.

A guy named Dave (Blackbird) actually drilled 6 I think 1" holes in the base of his windshield and said it was very effective. Might be worth thinking about.

Brian

I put another 60 cold miles on it today.  Unfortunately, it doesn't really do what I had hoped, which is to get more air off my neck.  It might be reducing back pressure some, hard to tell right now.  I never had buffeting, so I can't address that.  If I lean forward with or without the X-Creen, my problems go away.  I sit tall, especially with the handlebar risers, and this puts me into a non-ideal, non-aerodynamic position.... but it is the position I need for my back and arms.  I think I probably need a wider windshield for below 60F use- the high/side air streams are coming back together on me instead of behind me.

More experimentation needed.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 03:28:02 AM »
A guy named Dave (Blackbird) actually drilled 6 I think 1" holes in the base of his windshield and said it was very effective. Might be worth thinking about.

Brian

I "think" that this is a photo of Dave's (Blackbird) bike....

The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 07:16:00 AM »
I've had this X-Creen for 2 seasons now, very satisfied with it. As Max noticed, the metal clamps are on the heavy side and I mounted the thing on a Givi shield, which already is about 3 inches taller than the stock ('08) shild, and they create a "pendulum" that loads the bracket of the windshield quite a bit more, specially when hitting a pothole or with turbulent air while going fast (over 140 mph). After these 2 years, now the bracket is on the loose side, which worries me  :-\
As for the comfort improvement given the adjustable air flow, this add on is really good. It's not necessarily better on the highest position due to that slot that Max mentions. I have it at about the middle, and get a fantastic protection without having to raise the shield itself too much, which I only do if it rains. Just like Max, I haven't found possible (or advisable) to adjust it on the go. It's better to stop and play with it. If you're not sure where you want it, just don't lock it, but don't go too fast either or the wind will move it. Once you think you found the position that works best for you, then stop and lock the adjusters. It took me a few hundred miles at different riding conditions until I tuned it just right, and haven't moved it since, 30k miles ago.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline spinned

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 03:20:18 PM »
Are there any reviews of the full combo windshield.  This is the MRA full windshield with the MRA tour pre mounted.  The windshield looks like it has air vents in it.

Here is the link to it at twisted throttle:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-variotouring-screen-windshield-for-kawasaki-concours-gtr1400-08

Offline golfhuntfish

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 01:31:56 PM »
I have had the X-creen for 3 seasons.....it is great. No buffeting, quiet calm air when I need or want it..I found the correct position easily and haven't moved it since installation...I am sure you will enjoy the addition....Gene

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 10:52:05 PM »
I put another 60 cold miles on it today.  Unfortunately, it doesn't really do what I had hoped, which is to get more air off my neck.  It might be reducing back pressure some, hard to tell right now.  I never had buffeting, so I can't address that. [..]More experimentation needed.

Now with a few hundred more miles experience I can say more about it.  It absolutely reduces wind turbulence on the helmet.  Ride is quieter.  Ironically, when it is cold (it was low 40's on this ride), there is so little air on the helmet, I was having some inside fogging issues.  My face and chest were noticeably warmer than typical.  With less forward pressure on the helmet, my neck was not as stressed at higher speeds.  The mounts and controls are still rock solid.

On the down side, I think just a taller windshield would do the same thing, but without the added complexity, expense, and extra "lines" in my field of view.  A wider windshield would help more with sides.  It doesn't reduce back pressure... but it didn't seem to create additional pressure either (which is both bad and good, respectively).  Is the adjustability worth not having just a larger screen?  Still not sure.

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 07:45:06 AM »

Maxtog - how about some photo's of where you ended up setting it to get the least helmet noise and buffeting? 

Fork

Offline Cuda

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 10:32:51 AM »
I don't have any back pressure issues , but since your sooo sensitive...
you can cut open the area above the existing cut out to let more air flow  ;)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 11:20:41 AM »
Maxtog - how about some photo's of where you ended up setting it to get the least helmet noise and buffeting? 

I don't think it is that scientific.  It seemed to be effective just because it is taller.  Doesn't seem to vary all that might with height relative to the main screen.  It all the test so far, I have kept the angle the same as the main screen.