Author Topic: Directv has done it again....  (Read 15435 times)

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Directv has done it again....
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 08:23:46 PM »
Okay, if the broadcasters charge the sat companies more do you think the sat company (Direct) will charge you more or less?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »
Be careful, Dish's customer service is less than stellar...

Dish was just voted one of the top 10 worst customer service companies in the country.  Yikes!!

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 09:33:14 PM »
That's crazy talk.

+1

What's weird is I just went to check out AT&T and they are carrying DirecTV. What's up wit dat?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 04:03:14 AM »
Okay, if the broadcasters charge the sat companies more do you think the sat company (Direct) will charge you more or less?

I don't care about the price.  I understand how the market works.  I fully expect them to pass on the pricing.  It's cutting off the programming I detest.

And as far as Dish being the worst...I think I've called Directv once in 12 years on an issue and that was to get the tech to re-align the antenna that he didn't install correctly.
My answer to all of those arrogant nasty companies, most recently Prizm from CenturyLink:

I would go back to that but those antennae aren't allowed in my subdivision or there would be one on my rooftop.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 06:39:31 AM »
You expect a company to hold the line in the face of a 30% increase?
And if Viacom is withholding the signal how can DTV be responsible? If they don't get it we don't!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 07:13:28 AM »
I've seen info where Viacom is saying Directv is pulling the channels and I've seen the reverse.  My point is I'm the consumer, the endpoint.  I don't care if it's an issue with Viacom or Fox or what have you.  All I see is the end result...no channels.  It's Directv's fault as far as I'm concerned.  Raise the price, do whatever, just keep the channels going.  Directv is not out for our welfare, there is something else going on with this than price.  We just don't know about it.

In my business, installing IBM mid-range servers, if something beyond my control happens, it's my fault.  I have to rectify it behind the scenes to make the client happy.  Pointing fingers has never worked.  That philosophy has worked for me for nigh on 24 years now.  I have had many instances of that scenario.  When I see to very large companies pointing fingers at each other, it's really unprofessional as far as I'm concerned. 

Work out a stopgap measure and keep negotiating.  Figure it out and get on with your lives.  Both Viacom and Directv evidently don't subscribe to this.

So, I've made the decision to switch technologies.  There's been a few things bothering me about Directv and this is the last straw for them.  I can switch to Dish or switch to cable.  I like my options with Dish better.  I have to do some research to what equipment I need and talk to my neighbor who has them.  I'm not going to do this in a hurry.  The kids have switched over to Disney for now.  TV Land is another channel that's gone and there are programs I watch there, but they won't be back on until around September.  I imagine this issue will be resolved at some point by then.

There are so many channels that are pure junk to me.  I wish there was an ala carte system of choosing what you want to pay for instead of paying for a package where there is really only one or two channels you need.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 08:20:30 AM »
I wish there was an ala carte system of choosing what you want to pay for instead of paying for a package where there is really only one or two channels you need.

+1  There is 100+ channels I would drop in a minute!  I would end up with 20 channels in the end.   8)

:offtopic:

In my business, installing IBM mid-range servers...

I was a IBM Mainframe SysProg for 25+ years... we had AS400's at one of my employers, did token ring commincations to the mainframe with it.  That was a long time ago.  :o

Now do open systems and mainframe storage... not as exciting... but no calls at night, no weekend nights anymore.  :)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Conrad

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 09:16:52 AM »
I ga ron tee if Direct just passed on the increase everyone would complain about the increase.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 09:44:18 AM »
I ga ron tee if Direct just passed on the increase everyone would complain about the increase.

Yeah, but I would still have the programs to watch...grumble grumble...

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 10:01:34 AM »
I would go back to that but those antennae aren't allowed in my subdivision or there would be one on my rooftop.

Unless there are more details you haven't shared, by law, your subdivision shouldn't have that power over you.
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 08:58:12 AM »

There are so many channels that are pure junk to me.  I wish there was an ala carte system of choosing what you want to pay for instead of paying for a package where there is really only one or two channels you need.

+1!
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 08:46:49 PM »
Ok here is what pisses me off. I have a two yr old grandaughter that  loves Dora and the likes. We had over 40 shows recorded on the DVR. They are not accesible anymore. WTF I paid for those shows. To me that is stealing and a from of home invasion. This make me upset beyond words.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 09:32:35 PM »
If they were already recorded then you can watch them. If you are not able to then something must be wrong with the DVR. It would be like a thunderstorm going overhead and you lose reception. You can still watch what you recorded.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2012, 11:07:06 PM »
If they were already recorded then you can watch them. If you are not able to then something must be wrong with the DVR. It would be like a thunderstorm going overhead and you lose reception. You can still watch what you recorded.
No sir we cannot. Nothing wrong with our dvr. If we select the recorded shows from the channels they dropped we get the direct tv logo. Every other recording is still there; not a F'n thing from Nick. I will be calling tomorow.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2012, 06:15:24 AM »
Ok here is what pisses me off. I have a two yr old grandaughter that  loves Dora and the likes. We had over 40 shows recorded on the DVR. They are not accesible anymore. WTF I paid for those shows. To me that is stealing and a from of home invasion. This make me upset beyond words.

Damn, that is a pisser! I've seen that kinda thing happen before with DTV's DVR too. Sometimes if they have a free preview of some pay channel and you DVR it, you can't watch it after the free preview. It's totally stupid too.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline billhook

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 09:02:07 AM »
I recorded on the DVR about a dozen movies a couple of weeks ago during DirecTVs free weekends of HBO, Showtime, etc. and we've been watching them over the past few weeks, one last night, with no issues.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2012, 09:21:47 PM »
No sir we cannot. Nothing wrong with our dvr. If we select the recorded shows from the channels they dropped we get the direct tv logo. Every other recording is still there; not a F'n thing from Nick. I will be calling tomorow.

Then the shows simply didn't record. I saw the same thing just this morning on mine. Spike tv is also part of Viacom and it recorded the Powerblock shows. But when I looked closely I saw that it was actually channel 8241. It looks like all the channels that were under Viacom switched over the the same number preceded by an 8. If all you got was the logo then it simply recorded the empty channel and not the real channel. It suck but until they come to an agreement!!!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2012, 05:43:52 AM »
I recorded on the DVR about a dozen movies a couple of weeks ago during DirecTVs free weekends of HBO, Showtime, etc. and we've been watching them over the past few weeks, one last night, with no issues.

I've seen that too. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 06:29:56 AM »
Both my grandson's Super Ninja show that were recorded previously on Nick still play.