10 (32.3%)
Has to be less than 25mph/38kmh forecasted or I won't ride my cycle
5 (16.1%)
High winds of 38mph/61kmh will keep me off the road
9 (29%)
Gale winds of 46mph/74kmh will have me inside a car/truck when driving
7 (22.6%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: When is it too Windy to Ride to Work?  (Read 5633 times)

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
When is it too Windy to Ride to Work?
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:06:59 AM »
Today I did not ride because the forecast called for Wind gusts of 30-40mph on a cool 50F degree day with Rain ending in the morning.
Do I ride with rain gear on in the morning just to get blown around on the freeway/interstate on the ride home?

What do you say?  What does it take for you to gear up and take on the Weather?  Especially unseen Winds?

Some of you work at home or very close to it.  Well, I work 36 miles away from home.  I like the ride and have Speed and Strength jacket and overpants plus rain gear if I need it.  ATGATT is good advice.

Using the Beaufort scale, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale, compare your windy conditions to your riding risk.  See what it says and tell us what you think about Wind.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
Re: When is it too Windy to Ride to Work?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:20:04 AM »
Hmmm... there's no option for "what forecast?". Weather in CO is so unpredictable I usually don't bother to check and wind gusts in the 30-40's happen all the time. I do not like to ride in a constant 40mph wind, but I have...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:21:52 AM »
I have ridden regularly on I-5 in direct crosswinds of 30 mph gusting to 45 mph on the C14 and other bikes with zero issues.  I would say that the C14 handles fairly well in strong winds compared to other fairinged bikes.

I don't know what my limit is.  I'd probably bag it if winds were over 50 mph.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:32:52 AM »
The decision is entirely up to the indivdual at that moment!
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline okxd45

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 11:39:10 AM »
I have ridden regularly on I-5 in direct crosswinds of 30 mph gusting to 45 mph on the C14 and other bikes with zero issues.  I would say that the C14 handles fairly well in strong winds compared to other fairinged bikes.

SW OK is pretty much windy all the time.  And like Mister Tee, over 50 would have to be a no go.  Did 50mph winds once, and it felt like my helmet was going to pull my head off.......not fun.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 12:21:01 PM »

Ditto. And I've been out on some days with gusts at 60mph . . . those can be a little unnerving.

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 12:23:27 PM »
In Kansas one time, I leaned right through a left hand sweeper.

About 4 weeks ago I rode into a storm front that took two barns out on its way through. 

I'll ride through just about any wind after reading Hough's book.  It taught me what to do when blasted with an unexpected gust.  I also have the Blue Monster set up for windblasts.  First thing to do is remove the air ducts at your feet.  200% better on the highway after I did that.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 12:55:19 PM »
I live in Western Nebraska and like anybody else who lives around the area knows, the wind is pretty much constant. 20 mph is a light breeze.   So unless the tornado warnings are sounding just high winds won't stop me from riding.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 04:31:01 PM »
When the crosswinds get so bad that the oil light goes on, due to the oil sump not being submerged anymore, from your extreme right lean angle trying to keep the bike stable, that might be a little extreme...

I've had that happen a couple of times now.  I would guess I had 40+ MPH winds coming across the road, and I was wondering if my helmet would stay attached...

I actually had to lean my body over and into the wind a couple of times to right the bike enough for the oil sump to catch!

Gotta say, passing barriers (hills) and suddenly having to re-right the bike was a little unnerving, then having to lean hard again once I passed the hill...

Of course, any winds that can lift the bike off of the road are too extreme!  But, as long as the bike can stay attached to the road, and you can keep it moving in the right direction...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline JSharp

• Arena
  • 2011 Ninja 1000
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 01:01:36 AM »
I've ridden more days in 25-35mph winds this year than I can count. If I hadn't 1/2 my riding days would never have been. Rain I don't do intentionally but I did ride in it for about 1/2 hour the other night trying to get home. 

Springtime in the Midwest.

Bergmenized

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 09:58:31 AM »
It's the VW bug sized tumbleweeds that can get ya in a cross wind. You have to keep your eyes peeled upwind if you're in that type of terrain. Otherwise, hang on and plow through it.

Now if you're flying a tail dragger, that's another story...

Dan

Offline nosaint7

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »
SW OK is pretty much windy all the time.  And like Mister Tee, over 50 would have to be a no go.  Did 50mph winds once, and it felt like my helmet was going to pull my head off.......not fun.
Oklahoma is Oklahoma - get the same as you up here in NE OK.  If it's blowing hard enough to knock the bike off its center stand, then it stays in the garage.  Rode home from work in constant 45 mph crosswind a few days ago - NOT fun and it was only 12 miles.
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline jathkajoe

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 03:45:37 PM »
When I was fishing for a living I learned it was never too windy to fish but it was often too windy to travel. Having a 900' net off the bow makes a good sea anchor.

On the bike the weather is a non factor unless it's making lightning or tornado winds.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 05:49:28 PM »
I ride all the time. I never even put that into concideration. If it is crazy windy 50 mph+ I don't go over the Tobin Bridge from Boston to East Boston. It will throw you against the wall. I find a different route on those days.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 05:50:09 PM »
So Never!
Joel from Maine.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 05:34:45 AM »
I live in Kansas (land of South WIND) and my bike is my transportation....need I say more!?
T.S.R.

Offline yanks21

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 05:59:20 AM »
I rode to work last Thursday, there were a few big gust's if wind but not so bad. I stay off the high rise and the Hone bridge on days like that.

Offline DarrellB

• Arena
  • If your going to ride. Ride. Forget the trailer
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 08:12:03 AM »
In southern Nevada, if you won't ride in windy conditions you won't get to ride. The forcast this week today windy, Monday windy, Wed. windy. So we ride in Wind. The weather service here only calls for windy if it's going to be over 20 mph or more.
02 Connie with 06 Skin

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 10:42:21 AM »
Hmmm... there's no option for "what forecast?". Weather in CO is so unpredictable I usually don't bother to check and wind gusts in the 30-40's happen all the time. I do not like to ride in a constant 40mph wind, but I have...

+1  I've ridden home in gusts up to 60mph, hail tossed in for good measure  :o  Not the best conditions, but had to get home... not the worst I've ridden in either... I think riding thru Kansas a few years back still holds the record  ::)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 07:04:29 AM »
If I see this I stay off the bike  ;D

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once