Author Topic: magnet attached to center stand???  (Read 7465 times)

Offline spotcw

• It is...what it is
magnet attached to center stand???
« on: May 22, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »
I put my 08 C14 on its center stand for the first time today (bought it used in Nov 09) and saw a small black box zip tied to the center stand. I cut it off thinking it was a spare key or something but it doesn't open up. I noticed that it was magnetic when I had my needle nose pliers on it to open it up. Does anybody know what this would be?

Offline GPz1100

• Arena
  • Red is Faster
Re: magnet attached to center stand???
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 10:20:58 PM »
used to trip traffic sensors. called red light or green light...something like that. 2 works better that 1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 10:56:15 PM »
used to trip traffic sensors. called red light or green light...something like that. 2 works better that 1

Yep, that is exactly what it is.  I wonder if they really do work, though.  The instructions on those things say you have to drive to a certain position on the sensor, too.  Seems kinda stupid, unless you already knew it was a problem light and were prepared to position yourself a certain way.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 05:19:21 AM »
Jim uses one, I'm surprised that he didn't comment on this when he moved it. I don't know if these things work though. I have a couple of problem lights that I have to deal with. I check to see if a car is in that turn lane before I go that way. No car and I go another route.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 05:54:20 AM »
In Minnesota, you can go if it doesn't trip the light. As long as you can safely go.
Todd
Eagan, MN
Photos of my 1999 Conk: http://s751.photobucket.com/home/Squishman/index
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 07:52:32 AM »
I don't think anyone in MN stops for any lights or signs anymore :-[

I think the tests I have seen on the magic magnets showed that they did nothing.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline nosaint7

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 08:49:59 AM »
Yup - its supposed to help trip signal light sensors.  Several states (including Oklahoma) have recently passed "proceed on red light" laws for motorcycles.   Your have to stop, wait a bit, and then "if safe" - you can go.  If your state hasn't done this yet, email your state congressman/senator and tell them you want the law/s updated.   
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 01:23:05 PM »
I used on my Interceptor and it seemed to work at a pesky light I had to go through regularly. Without it I could sit there for 5 minutes; with it, seemed to change in a minute or two. Did it actually work as intended or did the DOT fix something at their end? I dunno.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 01:50:09 PM »
I'd put in neutral... drop my kickstand down, lean the bike over... that did the trick on those lights that wouldn't sense the bike.... ride up crosswise... or along the inner line of the sensor would work too.

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 02:01:20 PM »
I wonder if those things really work......like deer whistles.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 04:47:57 PM »
I'd put in neutral... drop my kickstand down, lean the bike over... that did the trick on those lights that wouldn't sense the bike.... ride up crosswise... or along the inner line of the sensor would work too.

Unfortunately I can't handle that.  I wind up cutting the bike off.  Too many steps in the right order.  I have several magnets mounted below the bike.  One didn't seem to be enough for me to trip the lights.  I've got two additional magnets from PC disk drives glued to the exhaust pipe.  Didn't have much luck with the 'Green Light Trigger'.  Waste of money IMHO.  Disk drives are free to me.   I give them to my grandson and he takes them apart for me.  Also, as long as I can see the trigger lines and put the bike over top of them I don't have issues either.  The problem is where you can't see the lines....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 04:56:16 PM »
I hardly run into those type of lights anymore out here in CO... in TX, they were pretty bad in some of the smaller towns or less traveled intersections in Houston.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 05:09:04 PM »
You can get the m here if your bike is not equipped with one.  http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_65-3998

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 07:23:22 PM »
If I can find the sensor, I can trip it by getting the engine over it.  The one sensor that's been paved over is right next to the cop shop.  I've gone through that light when I couldn't trip it.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 08:12:37 PM »

I've tried and tried and couldn't get the deer to blow into those things...
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 08:40:15 PM »

;D

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 03:33:10 PM »

Maybe you were putting it in the wrong end? :o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 04:03:40 PM »

:rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 05:26:37 PM »
I think if you do that you might get a 'sour note'.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 08:42:20 PM »

If only they were real...  HEY!  I think they have something kinda like a whistle, they're called... Antlers?  Bang them together and BOOM!  Deer pop up.  It's amazing.   :o

:yikes:

Wasn't expecting that!  :rotflmao:

Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.