Author Topic: What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself?  (Read 4909 times)

Offline BackInTheSaddle

What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself?
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:50:48 AM »
A 22 short should do it . . . . . Think not? Read on . . . . . . . . .

The best answer:

My personal favorite defense gun has always been a Beretta Jetfire in 22 short. Over all the years I've been hiking I never leave without it in my pocket.
 Of course. we all know too the first rule when hiking in the wilderness is to use the "Buddy System." For those of you who may be unfamiliar with this it means you NEVER hike alone.
You bring a friend or companion, even an in-law. That way, if something happens, there is someone to go get help.

I remember one time hiking with my brother-in-law in northern Alberta . Out of nowhere came this huge brown bear and man, was she mad.
We must have been near one of her cubs. Anyway, if I had not had my little Jetfire I'd sure not be here today.
 Just one shot to my brother-in-law's knee cap and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 09:41:52 AM »
The 45 snobs will be along anytime now. ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Stasch

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 10:52:14 AM »
This reminds me of a bear advisory recently issued in Michigan.

"Due to the unusually warm winter and the early spring, an increase in bear activity has been observed.  People camping, fishing, sightseeing and backpacking should be on the alert for bears.

As a precaution, the following are suggested.  All are encouraged to eat plenty of garlic, which will create a scent about you. 

Also it is suggested that you wear little bells around your neck and ankles so as not to startle the bears.

As both grizzly bears and black bears are common in Michigan, the following is a quick profile of how to determine what type of bear frequents the area you are in by the droppings you find.

The black bear droppings will consist mostly of wild berry pits and occasionally undigested foliage or a pizza box.

The grizzly bear droppings will differ greatly. They will contain a sizable amount of bones, smell of garlic and have little bells mixed in."
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline momo65

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 08:44:45 AM »
SLING SHOT,, FIRST SHOT IN THE EYE, SECOND SHOT THE NUDDDS  ;D

Offline booger

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 05:15:01 AM »
We know this story is an urban myth.  There has never  been a Beretta Jetfire that fired on the first pull of the trigger ;)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 09:05:26 AM »
.460 Rowland ;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »

S&W 500

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 01:47:35 AM »
Similar power to a .44 mag in a 1911 platform.  10 in the hand and another mag at easy reach.  Lots of bear medicine in short order ;D  I tend to hunt with friends, has anyone tried packing a bear out of the woods alone ;)

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 07:50:37 PM »

A .45 would have blown the bro-in-laws leg off and killed the bear with the shock wave.  Or at least that's what they tell me on my fav gun forums.  ::)
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 08:34:34 PM »
A .45 would have blown the bro-in-laws leg off and killed the bear with the shock wave.  Or at least that's what they tell me on my fav gun forums.  ::)

Aint that the truth, I am starting to get fond of that .40 round however. Has allot of energy and "pop" to it for sure, although I still tend to be partial to my 9mm. Hell I for sure would not wanna get shot with a .22, you never know where that bullet it gonna end up in the body. :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 10:07:33 PM »
Aint that the truth, I am starting to get fond of that .40 round however. Has allot of energy and "pop" to it for sure, although I still tend to be partial to my 9mm. Hell I for sure would not wanna get shot with a .22, you never know where that bullet it gonna end up in the body. :o

I'm with you pokey. I love the .40 but they all can do the job. Try a m&p 40....awesome.  :D
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 10:44:34 PM »
I'm with you pokey. I love the .40 but they all can do the job. Try a m&p 40....awesome.  :D

I have an M&P 40 compact....and I do love it. :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline booger

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 04:54:06 AM »
Everyone knows this story is an urban myth.

How many times have you ever seen a Beretta Jetfire .22 fire on the first shot?   NEVER ;)