Author Topic: My new (really old actually) headers!  (Read 3184 times)

Offline Lodogg2221

My new (really old actually) headers!
« on: March 08, 2012, 08:41:17 AM »
Well, since I went to all the trouble, why not post a pic? 

Here they are....old pipes all prettied up with silver ceramic....

Worst case it doesnt help at all with the heat and the pipes just look really nice and dont rust anymore (at the steel connections). 
Best case, it DOES help with the heat and they still look really nice....

Ordered all new gaskets from BikeBandit before I started, last year, lol.  Yeah, I put it off for a little while...
Say what?

Offline CRocker

• Arena
Re: My new (really old actually) headers!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:01:39 AM »
They look good!  I can see why it took you a while...
'02 C-10

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 11:37:47 PM »
Nice pipes!  Good preservation idea especially for people who live in the rust belt.

Eventually ZG headers are going to be unobtainium, just like the headers on a bunch of other bikes.  The dearth of aftermarket solutions will exacerbate this.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 05:43:59 AM »
Nice pipes!  Good preservation idea especially for people who live in the rust belt.

Eventually ZG headers are going to be unobtainium, just like the headers on a bunch of other bikes.  The dearth of aftermarket solutions will exacerbate this.

Well, its more a heat solution idea that has an added benefit....I looked but couldnt find that anyone had tried this as a partial solution to the heat issue, except on a C14, so I thought what the heck. 
Say what?

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 08:15:27 AM »
. . . tried this as a partial solution to the heat issue

I think this is part of the sales spiel.

Of course some can tell a difference . . . it's the "farkle effect".
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 02:37:31 PM »
"I looked but couldnt find that anyone had tried this as a partial solution to the heat issue"

I ceramic coated my 4 into 1 header on my C-10 a couple months ago for the same reason.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 04:25:38 PM »
I think this is part of the sales spiel.

Of course some can tell a difference . . . it's the "farkle effect".

It is part of the spiel.  It also helps.  Now I dont personally know anyone who has coated headers on a bike, but I do know a guy who builds race cars and coats the headers for reduced underhood temps and he says it works well, so I thought Id take a chance.
Im sure Ill find out soon enough.  I know how hot it felt before, so if its not that hot, great.  If it is, well, at least I know! 

There are a lot of things that go into the high temps coming out of the fairing, but in the lower location, the biggest thing I can see air flowing across and dumping out in that area is the header.  Plus, hot metal radiates heat into surrounding parts, so even if the heat coming out of the fairing is just as bad, the pieces near the header wont get nearly as hot.  Guys report being able to touch the header right after shutting off the engine, and while there is no way in heck Ill try that, I can measure the surface temp with my IR thermometer. 

Anyway, something to do, and hopefully it helps.  If it doesnt, Ill let everyone know that too....

BTW, I had them coated inside and out....they say thats the best way to help with the heat.  Outside only doesnt help as much....didnt cost much more either, so why not.  I think it was only about $15 or so more....
Say what?

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 04:56:29 PM »
The only true way to tell is to use a digital heat gun and compare a stock pipe to the coated one.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline Tele130

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 06:31:29 PM »
I'd really like to read your findings. What about wrapping them?
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 06:58:14 PM »
I thought about wrapping, but being on the bike and being that I ride in inclement weather, Id rather not have the pipes rot out.
I know they are stainless and shouldnt, but Ive read a few peoples "reports" where they were damaged from the excess heat.
Being where they are, and how hard they are to access, they would have all sorts of crud trapped in the wrap before too long.  This way, they stay relatively clean. 

Its awful tight in there too in places.  I know the wrap isnt very thick, but even then it might be touching some areas. 
I suppose if this doesnt reduce the heat that much, I could wrap them, but while the heat was very uncomfortable on one ride last year, since I removed the scoops, its not been that bad since, so Im not going to wrap them.

Basically, this is as far as Im going with headers and heat reduction....if it doesnt work, well, it doesnt work I guess...Im hoping it warms up soon, so I can go on a nice long ride an see how it does!  Riding in the 50s doesnt tell me much...
Say what?

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 07:00:29 PM »
BTW, Im no engineer, so whatever my "findings" are, they wont be all that technical....kinda like a butt dyno.  It feels like it has more power, but does it really?  The world may never know....
Say what?

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 03:58:06 PM »
I had mine ceramic coated several years ago, but still don't really know if it made a temp difference. The bike is still damn hot in hot weather.