Author Topic: Elimination of Side stand & clutch switch  (Read 5849 times)

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
Elimination of Side stand & clutch switch
« on: March 08, 2012, 07:37:34 PM »
Has anyone in Connieland done this? 
The last time I had to do this was long, long ago--my XLH didn't require it.
I want to be able to start the bike when it's in neutral, on sidestand, clutch out.
I also want to eliminate 2 failure points while I'm at it.
Anyway, the wire colors in my factory manual do not match the wire colors on my sidestand.  Thanks, Kawasaki!  Haven't checked the clutch switch yet.
My sidestand switch wire colors are black, green and orange.  The manual shows black, green and brown.  Which ones do I jumper to show sidestand up at all times?
Same thing with clutch switch--I need it to show clutch in at all times.  I think that is jumping the y/g and lg wires, if the manual is to be believed.
I really suck at reading electrical diagrams.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Mettler1

Re: Elimination of Side stand & clutch switch
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »
Has anyone in Connieland done this? 
The last time I had to do this was long, long ago--my XLH didn't require it.
I want to be able to start the bike when it's in neutral, on sidestand, clutch out.

I start my bike like that all the time. ???
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 09:27:36 PM »
I always start mine the same way. Factory settings.

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 09:50:01 PM »
That's interesting.  Mine won't start without the clutch in and trans in neutral.  Really annoying and dangerous when/if it dies in traffic.  Just part of the joy that goes along with owning this particular POS.  Not that all ZGs are steaming hunks of crap but this one sure is.

For some reason, the DFPO zip-tied the sidestand switch to the frame--it's not attached to the stand anymore.

Not a big fan of either device.  My truck doesn't have a clutch switch anymore either.

Guess I'll just have to wait till the carbs are back on to complete this then.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 07:54:16 AM »
You definitely should be able to start the bike while in neutral on the sidestand whether the clutch is in or not. Could it be a problem with the neutral switch even though the bike indicates neutral? I had a previous bike with a bad clutch switch but the symptoms were a bit different (always had to have the bike in neutral to start).
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 08:40:41 AM »
Nah, it's a crappy sidestand and clutch switch.
Just cut the sidestand switch off and twist the 3 wires together, solder and insulate them.
For the clutch switch, again just unscrew it, twist and solder the 2 wires together.

Then get used to occasionally riding off with the sidestand down.
I did this to Sanji and Otto years ago.
Occasionally scraped the sidestand for the first 50' but no damage done.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 03:21:53 PM »
"DFPO" I like it!

Lot's of experience with those.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 11:20:48 AM »
You definitely should be able to start the bike while in neutral on the sidestand whether the clutch is in or not. Could it be a problem with the neutral switch even though the bike indicates neutral? I had a previous bike with a bad clutch switch but the symptoms were a bit different (always had to have the bike in neutral to start).

Could be.  I don't want any sort of "safety" switches at all between the starter button and the starter except for the one between my ears.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 09:13:50 PM »
Could be.  I don't want any sort of "safety" switches at all between the starter button and the starter except for the one between my ears.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

The "safety " switches were put there for libility purposes. Every one screws up at one time or another,except the perfect ones. ::)
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 09:36:27 PM »

The "safety " switches were put there for libility purposes. Every one screws up at one time or another,except the perfect ones. ::)

Odd, because my 2001 XLH didn't have any starter interlocks.  Hit the button with the bike in 1st gear, clutch engaged, on sidestand and that starter will turn.  My H-D had a dead-nuts accurate speedo too--something else the Big 4 refuse to put on a motorcycle.  Since my tach doesn't work most of the time I might be getting an aftermarket gauge cluster--danmoto has some that are super cheap.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 06:20:14 AM »
I just unscrewed the clutch switch and moved it enough that it never pushes the switch in.  Same with my kick stand switch.  I have yet to ride off with the kick stand down (knock on wood) or any other problems.  Both of mine crapped out at 2 different times.  I pulled them and cleaned them and within a month they did it again so i fixed it so they would never leave me stranded again.