Author Topic: I think I need an intervention  (Read 6208 times)

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
  • How do you remove the rain magnet on this thing?
I think I need an intervention
« on: May 24, 2011, 09:28:46 PM »
So I pulled of the fairing to start wiring up my recently purchased auxillary lights, and thought while I am here, why not replace the instument lights with LEDs.  Hey look how easy it is to get to the horns, so I just got done ordering the Stebel HF 80s.

My wife is looking at three boxes and about a dozen plastic bags full of wires and various pieces and parts.

"What are you doing?" she asks, as I am pulling out the CC while typing away on the laptop

"Ordering from Murphs" I say proudly

"Again??" she scowles...   "Don't you think you have enough stuff already?"

"Never" I smile

"You've got problems" she exclaimed as she rolled her eyes, shook her head, and walked away.... 

Maybe she is right :o

NEKansas  AMA#273766, COG#8862, IBA#44917
2000 Concours 2001 KLR, 2013 HD Ultra Classic

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
Re: I think I need an intervention
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 09:43:18 PM »
She only saw 3 boxes?  Sounds like you have more orders to place ;D

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:09:34 PM »

Yeah, she's right but I order from Murph's alot so he can put food on the table for his poor starving children. :'(
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 10:17:37 PM »
  Yeah, she's right but I order from Murph's alot so he can put food on the table for his poor starving children. :'(

Do you have poor starving children as a result of this obsession? And what is your riding-to-putzing with the bike ratio? Serious questions that must be answered to determine the need for intervention. I will be happy to help and remove any items (from Mruph's or elsewhere) that might feed your addictive behavior.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »
So I pulled of the fairing to start wiring up my recently purchased auxillary lights, and thought while I am here, why not replace the instument lights with LEDs.  Hey look how easy it is to get to the horns, so I just got done ordering the Stebel HF 80s.

My wife is looking at three boxes and about a dozen plastic bags full of wires and various pieces and parts.

"What are you doing?" she asks, as I am pulling out the CC while typing away on the laptop

"Never" I smile

"You've got problems" she exclaimed as she rolled her eyes, shook her head, and walked away.... 

Good thing my wife never comes into the garage other then to tell me it's time to eat...  ;D

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 02:43:16 AM »
My GF has said the same to me, so I thought about it for awhile, and told her I agreed. Said I was going to get help..
I joined a support group.. The COG.. 8)
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Stasch

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 03:28:04 AM »

Maybe she is right
The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 06:53:31 AM »
what you are experiencing is totally normal. Keep buying stuff. A man and his motorcycle can never have too much stuff.

Offline koval68

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 09:07:58 AM »

"Never" I smile

She sounds like my wife...and daughter!  :chugbeer:
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 11:55:46 AM »
My first mistake was laying the stuff out in the living room (we had storms coming, so I had to bring her car into the garage, and therefore was without room).  this is also due to the fact that I was supposed to do this maintenance over the winter and never got around to it.

Second mistake, not filing my invoices in the folder in the garage, as usual.  So she began to pick those up and do math in her head.  When she needed to add the third digit, I think the internal alarm was sounded (I hope to drown that out with my new horns ;D)

Don't worry about riding and putzing around. I have two motorcycles, and the reason I am working on this one, is because the weather is finnally nice (minus the crazy storms lately) and I can ride the cruiser, so I was able to pull the connie off of the road for some much needed maintenance.

good news is that I just figured out how to wire my aux lights with the illuminated switch that I bought (see below).  She was not nearly as impressed with the little LED test light coming on as I was....

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 07:36:28 PM »
Whenever my wife questions a motorcycle part showing up, I always tell her its for her so I can take her on more rides!

New seat parts?  For YOUR comfort of course!
Risers?  To help my shoulders when YOU are leaning forward into me
New windshield?  So WE have less buffeting in OUR helmets.

And the list goes on and on.  Just remember, there is the truth  :( and the truth  :)
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 07:44:41 PM »
That's not a problem. Ship to the office, store in the garage. The bike stuff bores her  :). The stuff comes home in the briefcase or lunch pail.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »
Whenever my wife questions a motorcycle part showing up, I always tell her its for her so I can take her on more rides!

New seat parts?  For YOUR comfort of course!
Risers?  To help my shoulders when YOU are leaning forward into me
New windshield?  So WE have less buffeting in OUR helmets.

And the list goes on and on.  Just remember, there is the truth  :( and the truth  :)

:goodpost:   :thumbs:   :hail:

Nice!!

Offline booger

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 04:48:43 AM »
Same with guns.  I buy them all for my wife's protection.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 05:18:36 AM »
No matter if it is bike parts or guns and their farkles when and if my wife makes comments I simply remind her of the completely remodeled kitchen with high-end appliances, brand new washer & drier, leather furniture, riding lawn mower all bought due to hints from her part; as well as the blinding amount of carrots carried on both hands. She quickly realizes that I'm still playing catch up....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 08:13:24 AM »
... as well as the blinding amount of carrots carried on both hands. She quickly realizes that I'm still playing catch up....
;D

`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 06:17:56 PM »
Yea,  When I said, i think I am going to buy a connie...  she said OK, and then promptly 'encouraged' me to double the size of the back deck and replace the floor with composit boards (Don't get me wrong I like how it turned out).

I indicated that I would like to trade the Yamaha in on a HD Ultra Classic, and she then asked me if I would like black or stainless steel applicances when she redoes the kitchen.    Looks like i will keep riding my trusty Yamaha (at least until the boys are done with college)  ;D

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 10:56:52 AM »
I must be an anomoly, I can order and buy anything I want at anytime. I haven't lately because of money issues.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 11:07:20 AM »
A bit of irony in this thread...

Someone thinks intervention because they buy too many farkles for their C10/C14, and they post their concerns on this forum ? ? ?

"Dear Dr. Connie, I have this problem..."   :rotflmao:

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 11:37:33 AM »
Kind of like buying a "self help" book, thats solving half the problem right there.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50