Author Topic: How do feel about taking an advanced rider safety course  (Read 6727 times)

YoDoc

Re: How do feel about taking an advanced rider safety course
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 09:42:44 PM »
When I took the ERC at Ft. Bragg, the instructor was dragging peg in the double U-Turn box, and he was on a tall BMW!

I also dragged peg... but I was on a cruiser, so, not hard.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 09:08:38 PM »
Someday I would like to take it.  I wonder how you retain those skills over a winter though.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 10:09:09 PM »
Someday I would like to take it.  I wonder how you retain those skills over a winter though.

Just move south so you can ride year round.  I only took 2-3 weeks off from riding during January and February so I didn't build up any rust this year.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »
Just move south so you can ride year round.  I only took 2-3 weeks off from riding during January and February so I didn't build up any rust this year.
I usually have 4-5 MONTHS off!

boo

Offline kawamark

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 08:44:18 PM »
Took the ERC twice and always found a benefit from it. Wish it was not $250 now. Otherwise I would take it every year.  >:(
Mark L. Johnson

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 06:53:59 AM »
Took the ERC twice and always found a benefit from it. Wish it was not $250 now. Otherwise I would take it every year.  >:(

I don't understand why it's so expensive in some areas and not in others. It's only $23 here and $20 of that is refundable at the end of the class. Most guys donate the $20 back to MSF.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kawamark

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 08:05:23 AM »
I don't understand why it's so expensive in some areas and not in others. It's only $23 here and $20 of that is refundable at the end of the class. Most guys donate the $20 back to MSF.

It used to be $50 in Georgia. They have shifted to 'enhanced revenue' mode and no longer subsidize the cost.
Mark L. Johnson

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 05:26:17 PM »
I just saw an email from one of the guys here at work mentioning an advanced course at some community college for $125.00.
I ride every day (almost) 29 miles each way.  Every week or two some idiot FORCES me to check my Advanced Rider Skills.  Not to say we could all use the class now and then, but they have gotten expensive.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

YoDoc

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 09:44:14 PM »
 :nuts:

It just so happens that here in Texas, the ERC will count as "defensive driving school" if you get a moving violation on a motorcycle, and therefore I will be taking one in about two-three weeks...

I don't know if red is the fastest color, but it's certainly capable of going too fast... hehe...

Now, off to tell the wife!

:hitfan:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 07:08:04 AM »
Allstate gives me a discount for taking these classes and for only $23 it's a win win. Looks like thers's a good chance that I'll be taking the class in the rain, 60% chance if thunderstorms tomorrow.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Aussie in AZ

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011, 07:17:27 AM »
I took the HART (Honda Advanced Rider Training) back in Melbourne in about 89 or 90 when I got my Learners Permit.  It also gave me a discount on insurance there and here in the States.
In OZ, it cost me about $60 to sit the test with VIC ROADS, another $30 to take the on road test where an instructor gives you some directions, follows you and then makes notes, more directions and more notes and so on until you get back to base.  Only then do you find out if you past or not.  The HART course was $250.  Then to get the license it is another $160 for a 10 year permit.
Grand total, about $500
Expensive but well worth it.

I think it cost me $7 here in the States  :).  I love the USA  ;D

Aussie
Watch out for wombats on country roads at night!

'89 GPX 250.  '80 GSX 1100 EX.  '93 ZXR 750. '04 R6.  '81 CX 500. '82 Guzzi with side car.  '04 BMW Rockster. '09 Concours 14. '86 KDX 200.  '96 XR 100.  '92 PW 80