Author Topic: Couple of KLR650 questions  (Read 8548 times)

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
Couple of KLR650 questions
« on: June 07, 2013, 02:01:55 PM »
Looking to ride to Alaska in 2016 with my brother. We plan on taking 4 weeks off to do it. So we also thought a couple of slightly used KLR's would be the way to go. That way if any spares are needed we can always share between the bikes. Also thinking about fuel economy as well as the KLR's fairly large capacity tank. Finally KLR's can be had relativily cheap and parts and farkles are abundant. So some of my questions are:

1) Is there any reason to pick a Gen1 over a Gen2? or Vice-versa?
2) What year does gen1 stop & gen2 start?
3) Is it worth paying $2000 for a 1999 KLR with 6900 miles?
4) Is there anything in particular I should look out for when buying a used KLR?

I'm looking to get one before too long that way I can work any bug out of it and farkle it up real good for the trip. Besides which I've thought about getting one any way and now I have a great excuse.  ;D And really who can't use another motorcycle in the garage? Anyway I'll try to post more as questions and/or ideas occur to me.
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline pasini510

Re: Couple of KLR650 questions
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 06:05:02 PM »
I have a 2009 KLR and really like it. 2008 was the first year of the change.

The 2nd generation is better fairing protection and smoother running due to some changes like vibration dampers on ends of handlebars. They also put rubber mounted footpegs on Gen 2.
I went plus 1 on countershaft to give me alittle less RPMs running highway speeds. I think Im pulling 70 plus MPH @ 5000 RPMs.
Solid bike but I am changing the tires to dual sport for a smoother highway ride. Im riding it exclusively since my 2008 Concours is in shop being repaired from hitting a 4x4 x18 inch wood in the highway at 70 MPH.
Andre

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:17:43 PM »
Make sure doohickey has been done regardless of year you get. Find plenty about it by googling. Parts are cheaper for first gen as it was produced for close 20 years with only minor changes and almost everything interchanges. I have a 1992 I have owned since new and have had zero problems with it. Good luck

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 10:09:38 PM »
Doohickey smoohickey was my opinion, it can go bad but in all reality what are the percentages for a bad 'Doo?  Gen 2s do have an issue with oval bored cylinders, burn oil like it's free.  I am fond of how a gen 1 looks vs the gen 2.
A common weakness is the suspension.  It sucks, put a traveling load on her and she sucks even more.  KLR owners are even more fugal than C10 owners, heck one of the best mods you can do for the KLR is the .22 cent mod.  Add an FMF Q4 pipe and discover what a torque monster that thumper is.  Get some Trail Tech LEDs, heated grips, real DS pegs, a set of Pirelli MT21s, and Bark Busters.  Fork Stabilizer, Hyper Pro progressive springs front and rear and you will have as bullet proof machine as you can get.
I can hear the question, if the KLR is such a great bike why did I seel her and get an F800GS?  Suspension and suspension travel.

Offline jayke

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 06:49:58 AM »
I’ve got an ’09 KLR.  Figure 225-250 miles before you hit reserve. 

The stock seat sucks.  Get an Airhawk at least or your ass will be on fire after a few hours.  Stock tires last only about 3K, and suck in the dirt. I’m running TKC-80’s, much better in the dirt or gravel.  I get  around 4K on the rear 80% pavement riding.

It does burn a little oil, more at highway speeds. As mentioned , the stock suspension is marginal.  You’ll need to upgrade it if you’re carrying a lot of weight.  Not a whole lot of power either but it gets the job done. Brakes are marginal too on pavement and the GEN II KLR has improved front brakes. Brakes are fine in the dirt though.

I ride mostly close to home, it’s a great bike for that.  I’d add up what you need to spend on upgrades before you buy one.  Might be cheaper in the long run to buy something else for a long ride to Alaska.

Offline TJ

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 08:32:41 AM »
I used to own a KLR and loved it, great bike for the price but they only have 35 hp or so. Loaded up with a lot of gear they can get pretty slow. Not sure what your budget is but if you can afford it take a look at the Triumph 800 XC. Almost triple the hp and only 40 pounds more with dang near the same fuel mileage (I am averaging 53-55 on mine and it isn't broke in yet).

The entire highway to Alaska is paved and once you get to Alaska there are only two main roads that are partially dirt. First being the road to the north slope (final 300 miles or so) and the second being the Denali highway. I drove to Alaska and back over a dozen times in everything from a Gold Wing to a 34 foot RV pulling a 17 foot long trailer. If you have any questions shoot me a pm.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 02:57:29 PM »
I had an '08 KLR650 fully farkled out.  I sold it to my next door neighbor and I sure do miss it.  The KLX250S helps ease the pain.

Here is the list of farkles as I explained them to my neighbor.
*Caribou Luggage System - This is the hard side bags and the hardware to hold it on the bike
*SW Motech Case guards - Protects the radiator cowlings in case of a tip over
*Aluminum Skid Plate - Protects the bottom of the engine from gravel and obstacles
*Dual HID headlights - Extra bright lighting. Turns Night into Day
*OEM Black Fairing panels - Changed the silver panels for black ones
*JC Whitney Trunk with color matched trim - mounted on luggage rack
*Rear brake guard - to protect the rear brake mechanism
*Doohicky Mod - This is the counterbalancer for engine vibration. Upgraded with better parts than factory for longevity
*Thermo Bob radiator bypass Mod - This allows the entire engine to warm up evenly for engine longevity
*KLX 650 Needle - for better fuel delivery.
*Odessey Optima Dry Cell Battery - Long Lasting Battery.
*Uni Air Filter - Washable Air Filter
*Cogent Dynamics Moab Rear Shock - Big improvement over the stock shock
*Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators and Cogent Dynamics front springs - Big improvement over the stock front suspension
*Happy Trails Fork Brace - provide more stability to the front end.
*LED Flashing tail/brake light - Really lets the cars know you are stopping.
*Factory Maintenance Manual - in case you want to work on the bike yourself.

and a pic

The suspension upgrade is what is really having me miss this bike.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077