Author Topic: New multi-adjustable handlebars from Precision Engineering  (Read 49300 times)

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
Why wouldn't you remove the risers and just extend the new bars? Unless you were planning on extending them AND using risers to get them into ape-hanger territory.  :o

Two reasons - the practical one is I don't want to lose the GPS ram mount attachment point in the risers.  The other less practical one is I don't need yet another bike accessory gathering dust on a shelf  ::)
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline r2t2

To get the rotation of the bars outward would require an eccentric mount for the handlebar. Cycle Cat had these beautiful aftermarket clipons (for Ducatis and Aprilias) that did just that. But I think that would require a redesign of how the bars mount to the riser portion... If these could do that. I snap up a set in a New York minute...
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline twowheeladdict

To get the rotation of the bars outward would require an eccentric mount for the handlebar. Cycle Cat had these beautiful aftermarket clipons (for Ducatis and Aprilias) that did just that. But I think that would require a redesign of how the bars mount to the riser portion... If these could do that. I snap up a set in a New York minute...

I'm not sure exactly what your post means, but the Precision Engineering bars do allow the grip portion of the handlebars to rotate towards or away from the rider.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline ZG

• Arena
I'm not sure exactly what your post means, but the Precision Engineering bars do allow the grip portion of the handlebars to rotate towards or away from the rider.

Correct.  :thumbs:

Offline RBX QB

Set ordered. Damn you, ZG (and thank you for getting us a discount).
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline ZG

• Arena
A quick update on this...

Some of you may already know that my bike is in the shop right now getting some other work done to it, one thing being some powder coat work...

My shop ground down the outer diameter of the angled washers for Murphs wedges and the outer diameter of the bolt heads that go through the bars to mount to the upper triple clamp, and now everything will fit just fine, which means I can now also use my wedges with these new multi-adjustable bars!!  :)

Here's some pics, you'll also notice that I had my Heli risers and Murphs wedges powder coated black, looking sharp IMO!  8)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:45:26 PM by ZG »

Offline ZG

• Arena
Set ordered. Damn you, ZG (and thank you for getting us a discount).

;D ;D ;D

My pleasure RQ!  :chugbeer:

Offline r2t2

What I meant was the way the angle of the bars are rotated in relation to the bike. I understand the the base can rotate fore and aft, but some of us would like the bare (the parts that the switch gear and grips are on) could rotate their angle of attack. I other words, have the grips closer to perpendicular to the bike. Others have done a better job of describing this With 8x10 color glossies with circles and arrows.  ;)
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011

Here's some pics, you'll also notice that I had my Heli risers and Murphs wedges powder coated black, looking sharp IMO!  8)

UHH, why not the bolts?  :-\

Offline ZG

• Arena

Offline twowheeladdict

What I meant was the way the angle of the bars are rotated in relation to the bike. I understand the the base can rotate fore and aft, but some of us would like the bare (the parts that the switch gear and grips are on) could rotate their angle of attack. I other words, have the grips closer to perpendicular to the bike. Others have done a better job of describing this With 8x10 color glossies with circles and arrows.  ;)

The bar with the switch gear can rotate perpendicular to the riser.  So, if you have the riser completely vertical you can rotate the bar on the horizontal plane.  If you rotate the riser (what you are calling the base) towards the rider, the bar  with the swithgear now rotates at a downward angle the more you rotate the bar closer to the rider.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline RBX QB

Ok, now I am officially impressed!!

I contacted PE on Monday regarding my wish to have one more hole for an adjustment point on the "pull back" rotation point (ie pulling the bars closer to me), they said "no problem we can put another hole in that part for you". 2 days later my new bases with the extra hole arrived...  :)

WOW! Now that's some great customer service IMO!! All they asked is that I ship the original bases back to them, which is no problem at all.

The bars are absolutely perfect for me now!!   ;D

Here's some pics, the first one is the newly arrived bases with the addition hole.

Just got my set delivered. Guess what... the "ZG Hole" (insert inappropriate comment here) is now "standard". I'll be even MORE impressed if my positioning uses that new hole.

For those paying attention, I ordered last Wednesday, and they got here in just 6 days (3 of which were a holiday weekend). Impressed.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
ZG's bike is always in the shop. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena

Just got my set delivered. Guess what... the "ZG Hole" (insert inappropriate comment here) is now "standard". I'll be even MORE impressed if my positioning uses that new hole.

For those paying attention, I ordered last Wednesday, and they got here in just 6 days (3 of which were a holiday weekend). Impressed.

Congrats RQ!  :chugbeer:

ZG's bike is always in the shop. ;)

:battle:   ;)

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
Be interesting to see if I have the ZG ZG mod.  Ordered on the 30th but thanks to a small hold-up only hit the freight forwarder today so looking at an ETA of early next week.
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline ZG

• Arena
Just a quick reminder guys, the $150 ZG discount ends this weekend...

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
Anyone have any experience comparing the Heli Horizons to these?  I have the Heli's, and while they are great, I wish the arms that come from the steering clamp adjusted up and down.  The Heli's are a bit too close to me with my arm length, and being able to adjust them so they are shorter would be great.

Anyone tried them both yet?
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline r2t2

Jay's such a BAD influence...  :o Another set sold... Gotta thank Jay for the phone call. I'm pretty sure these will allow me to make the tweaks necessary to reduce my shoulder issues. I've been using the 1 1/2" risers and just for yucks I took them off. That actually redued my (right) shoulder discomfort. Makes me think that I don't need the additional height, but pulling them back a bit and rotating the bars forward will be just about perfect. 
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline ZG

• Arena
Jay's such a BAD influence...  :o Another set sold... Gotta thank Jay for the phone call. I'm pretty sure these will allow me to make the tweaks necessary to reduce my shoulder issues. I've been using the 1 1/2" risers and just for yucks I took them off. That actually redued my (right) shoulder discomfort. Makes me think that I don't need the additional height, but pulling them back a bit and rotating the bars forward will be just about perfect.

No worries bro, happy to help, nice chatting with ya!  :chugbeer:

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
Re: New multi-adjustable handlebars from Precision Engineering
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2012, 11:17:21 PM »
Got my PE bars yesterday, looking the goods and they also have ZG's mod.  Should get them on this weekend. 

Have a week of touring coming up at the end of October - make or break time for this bike and me.
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390