Author Topic: My next GPS  (Read 41301 times)

Son of Pappy

My next GPS
« on: November 20, 2013, 11:17:03 AM »
http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-monterra.html#specifications

Bluetooth, GLONASS, and so much more.  A bonus is it fits the mounts I already have.  ADV on ;D  My Montana may be up for sale shortly.

Offline spatten

Re: My next GPS
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 11:29:34 AM »
I don't want to sound like an unwashed heathen, but does anyone just take their automotive GPS and Velcro it to a bracket?  I know it would not work in the rain, but otherwise for us cheapskates, is it an option people use?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 11:34:05 AM »
They do.  Ziplock baggies and a rubber band to help keep the unit dry. 
My Montana has been a great unit, but not as good as my Zumo 550.  No Bluetooth and sucks in the woods, which is where I use it the most.  This new Montera answers my needs.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 11:39:57 AM »
No current auto GPS offers both bluetooth and a cable connection for a bike's intercom system. As you already noted, auto units are not waterproof. But the single biggest detriment is that no auto GPS is daylight readable so they cannot be seen well at all during daylight hours under any circumstances, and not seen at all in direct sunlight.

Maybe discussions on this topic if you do a search. What I usually recommend to people is to use the automotive GPS if you are a casual user and do not count on the unit actually working- like it is more of a trinket than a tool. Those who need a GPS that works and is usable on a motorcycle really need a motorcycle unit unfortunately.

Brian

I don't want to sound like an unwashed heathen, but does anyone just take their automotive GPS and Velcro it to a bracket?  I know it would not work in the rain, but otherwise for us cheapskates, is it an option people use?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:45:32 PM by B.D.F. »
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Mojoh

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 12:27:41 PM »
No current GPS offers both bluetooth and a cable connection for a bike's intercom system......

Isn't that how the Zumo 660/665 function?  I only use mine with BT, so I'm not familiar with its wired options, so if I'm way off base my bad!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 12:45:14 PM »
Yep, typo on my part- I meant no auto GPS has those things. Motorcycle GPS's do. I will fix the original post.

Brian

Isn't that how the Zumo 660/665 function?  I only use mine with BT, so I'm not familiar with its wired options, so if I'm way off base my bad!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline BobK

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 01:23:07 PM »
I have been using a Garmin automotive unit for a few years after mike bike unit $600. + failed and I didn't feel like spending that much coin. Yes they are a little harder to see but they work for me and for $75. you can buy a lot of them if they break.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 01:34:30 PM »

Offline chap

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »

That's what I do. I have a water resistant case for it. I have used it in torrential downpours no problem. Sure it isn't as good as the  Zumo etc. but it functions really well for what I want. I don't have the audio on, so just look at the screen for the info i need.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline spatten

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 02:34:20 PM »
Thanks for answering my question.

Sounds like I should at least try my auto GPS.  I won't use it much, but for a long trip it would be handy.

Offline clogan

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 03:51:17 PM »
Anybody use the mapping/navigation apps on their smart phone instead of a GPS?

My old eyeballs aren't good enough to see any sort of GPS without my glasses, which I do not/cannot wear inside my full face helmet. So I'm just asking out of curiosity.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
Maps are cheap, you can see them during the day and you never have to program them.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 05:57:19 PM »
Thanks for answering my question.

Sounds like I should at least try my auto GPS.  I won't use it much, but for a long trip it would be handy.
I'm Brian's casual user type. I velcro'ed a powered lapel mic to the back of the gps and plugged the mic and my radar into a mini amp and ran a wire to a $5 helmet speaker.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 06:03:21 PM »

I use a Garmin NUVI 3450 and love it. Don't need to hear it.

But on topic, this new Monterra sounds like it does both roads and topo. I want one! I used to have a Magellan Crossover and liked it. It's biggest problem IMO was that the topo mode was completely different software from auto road mode. I have no idea why they had to have 2 different interfaces. Eventually the thing died but I've been waiting for the idea to reemerge especially for ADV riding.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 06:04:02 PM »

I have my Nuvi whatever number it is mountable to the bike with a RAM bracket...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RickC14

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 10:36:38 PM »
Been using a Garmin NUVI 3490 all summer and I'm very pleased with it. Have not had any problems seeing the screen, and the screen works with leather gloves. Very rarely do I get caught in the rain, so that's not an issue for me.

Offline RickC14

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 10:37:53 PM »
I have my Nuvi whatever number it is mountable to the bike with a RAM bracket...

+1

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 08:56:25 AM »

+2
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline mntbiker-junkie

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 09:05:11 AM »
I bought a used Nuvi 765 off Ebay for about $90.  It has BT and also can store music.  It's not perfect but its cheap and seems to work just fine.  As others have said, a baggie in the rain does the trick

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 09:17:33 AM »
I use a Nuvi and a smartphone and the NUVI sux.  I didn;t use it at all on my recent 7500 mile trip. 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine