Author Topic: My next GPS  (Read 41298 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: My next GPS
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »
So, got the GPS paired with the Chatterbox (CB).  The issue was the phone uses both the hands free and audio channels on the CB.  Turned off the phones Bluetooth (BT) and they paired right up.  I have no desire to take or make calls on the bike so this is the perfect setup for me.  I have things setup to charge at night when I setup camp in the tooleys from the bikes power.  Things are looking up for my AZBDR trip in March  ;D ;D ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2014, 03:39:04 PM »
I can certainly understand not wanting to drop the big coin on a MC specific unit, been there, done that, but in the end I believe a dedicated unit will end be a bigger value.

Sometimes I think I am crazy to have spent what I did on the Zumo.  It does have some very nice, compelling features, but it doesn't seem to be priced all that sane compared to the other non-MC units out there.  But... supply and demand.  They can and do draw customers, even at the high price.  And like you, I can attest that it is generally a better solution for what it does to have a dedicated type unit.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2014, 03:43:12 PM »
Yeah, but this one isn't even bad.... trust me on that Dan :-)

On its worst days, this forum is better than most forums are on their best days.  That says a lot.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Son of Pappy

« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2014, 04:12:45 PM »
Sometimes I think I am crazy to have spent what I did on the Zumo.  It does have some very nice, compelling features, but it doesn't seem to be priced all that sane compared to the other non-MC units out there.  But... supply and demand.  They can and do draw customers, even at the high price.  And like you, I can attest that it is generally a better solution for what it does to have a dedicated type unit.
My wife thought I was nuts buying the 550, I don't even want to know what she thinks about that + the Montana and Monterra.  Don't even mention the 24k Topos or City Navigator North America (x2), and the lifetime maps for the 550.  Add in a total of 4 RINOs, and an ETrex 30.  Lucky for me the 24k Topos are unlocked and can be used on multiple units.
Some may ask why so many?  If I were doing %100 paved trips I would only have the 550, but I don't and I like being able to overlay Birds Eye and topo for my off road adventures.  The Montanas biggest shortcoming is no wireless audio, which is big on a DS, too much off seat (and occasional off bike) time.  The Montana also has issues with sat reception in the thicker bits of trail.  The Monterra fixed these two issues and gave me much more, in a far easier to use system.  Like Brian, I always travel with a backup GPS, which is where the ETrex comes in handy, I also use the ETrex on the dirt bike when I am exploring new single track.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2014, 04:39:06 PM »
My wife thought I was nuts buying the 550[...]Some may ask why so many?  If I were doing %100 paved trips I would only have the 550, but I don't and I like being able to overlay Birds Eye and topo for my off road adventures.[...]

My biggest complaint about the Zumo is that I just find it very difficult to figure out where I am at times.  I tend to keep a map in my head and sometimes I just need to zoom out enough to get my bearings and it can be a bit frustrating and slow to zoom out enough and back and even when zoomed out, the tiny screen's map seems to not offer enough landmarks and detail for me to "get it".  I have the same problem sometimes with the G37's GPS, although not as badly (probably because it is a larger screen).  I don't have that problem ever with Google Maps.... even on a tiny phone screen.  I have even been known to whip out the phone at a rest just to get a better idea of what the hell did I do, but would not really want to have my phone mounted there instead of the Zumo.   So I "get" (understand) why someone would want to use/have multiple devices... each has their own strengths and weaknesses and nothing is perfect.  [The Zumo's routing and other features work very well].  I doubt ANY device would ever make me really happy, but I tend to be really demanding (and even picky, if you can believe that... nah, you can't believe that).

Since I don't travel with purpose a lot, I usually just don't care.  I just drive around and explore, confident I won't ever get lost because I can just press "home" or whatnot and get routed back easily (or enter a destination and get there too).  That is one of the best things about GPS, losing the fear of getting lost or not being able to find something.

I hate to admit it, but if they came out with a Zumo that had a much larger screen, was faster, and some other features I would like, I would probably drop a big coin on it without much thought.

Offline ssbraun

« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2014, 05:39:48 PM »
Tried out the Copilot app and it gave precise turn-by-turn directions. It seems pretty good to me (especially considering the price!). While it may not suit everyone (esp. those riding off-road) I'm going to give it a more thorough tryout in the hope that it will be good enough for me.
Ayrton Senna ... "Oh, dat fla tie rella fack up ebertang!"
Past rides...'83 GS750ES,'84 GS750SE (Canada only),'85 FJ1100;'98VTR1000F Firestorm;'07GSX-R1000
Current ride...'12 C14 Candy Arabian Red (even faster than black and silver!!)

Offline Bill_P

« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
It has been my experience that CoPilot is only as good as the GPS receiver built into a phone.  I to have had good results with this app.  Like most things these day.  It takes a little fumbling around to figure out all of the features.  One of the nice things about Copilot is that the maps are updated routinely.  Currently I am looking forward to the Sena 20S which is 4.0 bluetooth (version on my phone).  Then my search for a M/C entertainment / communication system will be complete.

Tried out the Copilot app and it gave precise turn-by-turn directions. It seems pretty good to me (especially considering the price!). While it may not suit everyone (esp. those riding off-road) I'm going to give it a more thorough tryout in the hope that it will be good enough for me.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2014, 10:29:25 PM »
It has been my experience that CoPilot is only as good as the GPS receiver built into a phone.  I to have had good results with this app.  Like most things these day.  It takes a little fumbling around to figure out all of the features.  One of the nice things about Copilot is that the maps are updated routinely.  Currently I am looking forward to the Sena 20S which is 4.0 bluetooth (version on my phone).  Then my search for a M/C entertainment system will be complete.

Thats only seems NICE (instead of expected or normal) because Garmin blows bahaha

Garmin set the gps/map standards so low its crazy.  And something that should be done by all seems "nice"  =)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2014, 02:27:51 PM »
This is one of the most basic things to consider about buying a GPS for motorcycle use IMO.

A lot of people just use a GPS casually, exactly as you mention. This is all fine and well, is no doubt the biggest group of users, and it really kicks the door open IMO to using the 'wrong' type (car) of GPS, or a cell phone, and everything else.

On the other hand, I bank on my GPS and need it to work and work efficiently and correctly. I need to see it in sunlight. I am counting on it to get me somewhere, often someplace I am not familiar with, in a fixed amount of time. On top of that, I use it to find things along the way, the most important being fuel. That is why I carry multiple GPS's with me on trips as Chet mentioned and why I get pretty cranky when they fail.... and I have had so very many fail (over 20 now). I have had them fail in far away places while depending on them to get me somewhere. I have had them fail in foreign countries while depending on them getting me to / from work and my hotel! Not good.

And that is where the value comes in. I would be the first one to suggest that the casual user use a cheap automotive GPS with a baggie thrown over it in the rain, or put in a weatherproof box (cheaply available). But if a person is going to really count on a GPS on a bike to get somewhere, I usually suggest a daylight readable screen, weatherproof GPS and the motorcycle units are really one of the few options in that arena.

I was telling the story of how I went through GPS after GPS at one of my first COG social events, a meet and greet in New Jersey. Now we were all sitting there laughing about it and I am sure some people thought I was telling tales..... When we walked outside, I could not get my few week old (!!!) Zumo 550 to power up! I handed it to one of the guys who had been thinking I was exaggerating (it happened to be Cap'n Bob actually) and asked him to power it up. He could not. Now I was in New Jersey, three states away from home, and had no idea where I was (road speaking) or how to get home. I whipped out ANOTHER GPS, powered it up and tie- wrapped it to the Zumo mount and made it back alive. I always travel with two functional, working GPSs but if going a long way, I carry three.

Brian

<snip>

Since I don't travel with purpose a lot, I usually just don't care.  I just drive around and explore, confident I won't ever get lost because I can just press "home" or whatnot and get routed back easily (or enter a destination and get there too). 

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2014, 06:38:06 PM »
Well... I reached my conclusion today.   After considering the advice of everyone on here as we'll as several other forums I finally purchased a Zumo 350LM.
GPSCITY.ca has the Zumo 350LM on sale right now for $499 + free over night shipping.
By the time I added up all the things that come free with the Zumo 350LM it seemed to me that was the bargain after all.   
Thank you all for you input and advice
Dan 

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2014, 04:40:24 PM »
I just installed the heated grips and snapped a picture of that install and the GPS as well. 
I don't have the GPS wired up yet.  I haven't decided if I will take it to the fuse block of take it to the battery tender lead instead   

Son of Pappy

Monterra-big mistake.
« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2014, 05:32:16 PM »
Just wanted to update everyone.  This unit is NOT ready for prime time.  Drops signal way too often and even chooses which language you need directions in.

Unless you really want a new gadget/expensive MP3 player/battery operated fish weight do not buy it yet.  Once things work as they should I will report back.

Garmin, shame on you.!!!!

Offline adrexco

« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2014, 08:29:26 PM »
Here's my solution. Twin TomToms.
Total cost including install for both, about $50 and a couple hours time for everything.

Older TomToms used a Windows Fat32 file system (Microsoft sued and now they are Linux).
They are easy to modify and update to any version Navicore operating system. These are cloned to TomTom Rider.The Rider version improves the touch screen for use with gloves, gives a hot icon for most used functions, large buttons, and more. They have a SiRF Star III gps chips which are by far the best for locking and holding a signal. They have a SD card slot and with a 16gig card you can hold more maps then you could ever ride. The latest maps are readily available and can be downloaded and installed from a PC with no charge. Once you have a operating system "image" they can be cloned in 20minutes. I just bought a 3rd off ebay for $15, that makes them a "throw away". So far I haven't had any issues with failures with about 3000miles on the original one. I see no reason to pay $100s for a gps.

Offline adrexco

« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2014, 08:33:33 PM »
I forgot to mention the TT One XLS also have integrated blue tooth.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2014, 09:42:31 PM »
Ouch!!!!!  And nice :)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Monterra-big mistake.
« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2014, 10:03:53 AM »
Just wanted to update everyone.  This unit is NOT ready for prime time.  Drops signal way too often and even chooses which language you need directions in.

Unless you really want a new gadget/expensive MP3 player/battery operated fish weight do not buy it yet.  Once things work as they should I will report back.

Garmin, shame on you.!!!!

Had a feeling you would end up not liking that GPS. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

Re: Monterra-big mistake.
« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2014, 10:41:06 AM »

Had a feeling you would end up not liking that GPS. ;)
I really want to like it....  I am holding my breath that Garmin will fix their Outdoor App as that is what is causing the issues.  Everything else works as it should.  Once they do it will be an awesome, just short of must have GPS for long distance ADV Riders.  Much easier to learn than the Montana, GLONASS sat reception, and Bluetooth.

Offline marku8a

« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2014, 09:05:13 PM »
I you are looking for an iPhone based GPS app you might consider what I am using...

http://drive.motionx.com/iphone/overview/

The unique thing about this app is that Pioneer and JVC support this with some of their automobile head units. I can take my phone and have GPS capability both audio and display in my truck and car through the head units. The turn by voice subscription is $10 per year. I am very impressed how well this works in my autos. It works with my Sena SMH-10 too. The down side for motorcycle use is the limitation of the phone display in direct sunlight.

Mark

2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?