Author Topic: My next GPS  (Read 41302 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: My next GPS
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 09:31:14 AM »
I use a Nuvi and a smartphone and the NUVI sux.  I didn;t use it at all on my recent 7500 mile trip.

Which NUVI? My 3450 works fantastic. I use it all over Europe and the US. I like it over the smart phone because you don't need to be in 3G or 4G coverage. I big problem on back roads here in the west.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 02:34:04 PM »

Which NUVI? My 3450 works fantastic. I use it all over Europe and the US. I like it over the smart phone because you don't need to be in 3G or 4G coverage. I big problem on back roads here in the west.

Mine is either 500 or 505. I hate it.  My real ZUMO motorcycle GPS I had broke twice out of warranty and I scrapped it.

And the new smartphone apps don't need 3G or 4G coverage and have both topo and real updated road maps (which my NUVI hasn't) and bluetooth with turn by turn directions inside my ear drum (which my NUVI doesn't)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »
One can't compare a NUVI to the new GPS Monterra Chet put as the thread topic.  It does crazy things beyond topo, such as collect tracks.  A guy used that feature in the desert to help us find our way back to camp from being lost at least 50 miles from the nearest human. We simply followed the bread crumbs in his GPS back.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline RickC14

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 02:49:54 PM »
My NUVI has the track feature. 

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 03:08:36 PM »
Zumo's can save a TRACK and once  you do a ride- save the TRACK and your supposed to be run the TRACK in reverse.  I know I have bread crumbs turned on and I can see where I have been so it makes it easy to go back.
Years ago I was able to manually load a topo -partially transparent map on stop of the regular maps on my Zumo. It worked cool in Florida but when I got into the mountains it sure got busy looking and Ii had to turn down the 'details'.
Steve, did you say you 'scrapped' your Zumo' ? where are they? I can repair them. Usually it is just the digitizer that wears out.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Son of Pappy

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »
One can't compare a NUVI to the new GPS Monterra Chet put as the thread topic.  It does crazy things beyond topo, such as collect tracks.  A guy used that feature in the desert to help us find our way back to camp from being lost at least 50 miles from the nearest human. We simply followed the bread crumbs in his GPS back.
So, you in on this?  I almost bought one last night, but I need to teach a couple classes to buy one.  Mamma said new couch or GPS.  My couch is shot and the Montana still works.  Next month is only days away ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 03:25:38 PM »
OK, a little off-topic but not too far: If you can repair them, then I assume you can swap the displays. If you can swap the displays, can you get a new Zumo display screen, preferably a 6XX series? Now for the real question: can you get a Zumo display screen AND put it in a Nuvi, any Nuvi? ?? ????

Brian

Zumo's can save a TRACK and once  you do a ride- save the TRACK and your supposed to be run the TRACK in reverse.  I know I have bread crumbs turned on and I can see where I have been so it makes it easy to go back.
Years ago I was able to manually load a topo -partially transparent map on stop of the regular maps on my Zumo. It worked cool in Florida but when I got into the mountains it sure got busy looking and Ii had to turn down the 'details'.
Steve, did you say you 'scrapped' your Zumo' ? where are they? I can repair them. Usually it is just the digitizer that wears out.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 03:52:30 PM »
Mine is either 500 or 505. I hate it.  My real ZUMO motorcycle GPS I had broke twice out of warranty and I scrapped it.

And the new smartphone apps don't need 3G or 4G coverage and have both topo and real updated road maps (which my NUVI hasn't) and bluetooth with turn by turn directions inside my ear drum (which my NUVI doesn't)

I'm going to have to look into that. Which apps do you use?

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 07:34:02 PM »
But the single biggest detriment is that no auto GPS is daylight readable so they cannot be seen well at all during daylight hours under any circumstances, and not seen at all in direct sunlight.

Brian

Although Brian(BDF) is a well respected contributor to the forum, he is off base on this one.  I have had a Garmin 3790LMT on my bike for 2 yrs. now and I assure you that it is readable in daylight and in direct sunlight.  The 3790 has a glass screen as opposed to the plastics or acrylics.  It is not waterproof and it is not recommended for Motorcycles.  The 3790 was one of Garmins high end units and can be used in both Landscape and Portrait mode.  The portrait mode is great for highway use, as you actually see further down the road.

Fred

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 08:17:07 PM »
My NUVI has the track feature.

Wow maybe mine does too, I didn't know that thanks!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
Silverdammit, a "couch"?

Bet the couch doesn;t do android like the monterra, take pics, nor does it wi-fi!    ;D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2013, 08:52:31 PM »
Silverdammit, a "couch"?

Bet the couch doesn;t do android like the monterra, take pics, nor does it wi-fi!    ;D
Leather, reclining, and a great price from the exchange on "Blue Friday" ;D  Back issues and all that.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2013, 09:28:04 PM »
Thanks for the thought toward my feelings but really, go right ahead and correct me- I appreciate it. Really.

Just checked that unit out and it looks like a current model. If that is the case then great as it may well be a viable alternative to a Zumo. I agree that the waterproof aspect is absolutely not a deal- killer as the unit can be put in a waterproof box or even covered with a plastic bag but to function well enough use on a motorcycle for me, it must be daylight readable. That particular unit is $400 so not much savings over a Zumo, and it does not have an MP3 player, which is something I use in a GPS whenever I ride but again, the display is the key to a unit's work-ability on a bike for me.

But the really neat thing about this unit is that it seems like it mirrors the newer style, multi- purpose GPS's such as the Montana. That leads me to believe that more and more units will come through with this newer style screen, and therefore more auto units will be fit for motorcycle use. That works great for all of us I think.

And maybe.... just maybe, if these screens progress through the lines of various GPS models, they can be retrofitted into something like a 765, which is functionally almost identical to a Zumo 550. I use a 765T on my bike as a secondary unit but again, it is just not readable for far too much of the time during the day.

Thanks for pointing this unit out Fred, and thanks for your concern about correcting me- it is appreciated.

Brian

Although Brian(BDF) is a well respected contributor to the forum, he is off base on this one.  I have had a Garmin 3790LMT on my bike for 2 yrs. now and I assure you that it is readable in daylight and in direct sunlight.  The 3790 has a glass screen as opposed to the plastics or acrylics.  It is not waterproof and it is not recommended for Motorcycles.  The 3790 was one of Garmins high end units and can be used in both Landscape and Portrait mode.  The portrait mode is great for highway use, as you actually see further down the road.

Fred
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline RickC14

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2013, 02:04:27 PM »
Wow maybe mine does too, I didn't know that thanks!

On the NUVI 3490 it's located at: Settings - Map & Vehicle - Map Layers - Trip Log

Offline jayke

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2013, 02:33:18 PM »
I had a glare issue with my Zumo 660 which was mounted between the handlebars facing up.  I tried a glarestomper , only helped a little.  Then I bought a GPS hood from Robin Hoods which helped a lot maybe 80% improvement after raising the GPS and making the screen face me more,

Robin Hoods  http://www.priushood.com/

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, 02:36:37 PM »
I may get the hood for my 2013 Prius.  Looks quite nice.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline concoursbdh

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2013, 07:46:57 PM »
I have an older Nuvi 785 I believe and it works great on the bike as well!  I plug it straight into my J&M unit and let it tell me every turn to make on the route I put in it.  I listen to my music as well, but keep the phone disconnected as I don't want to take calls while riding!  I do have to keep my baggie and wire tie handy for the rain though...  no need to see the screen while riding as it tells you what to do.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2013, 07:58:24 PM »
I may get the hood for my 2013 Prius.  Looks quite nice.
Your Prius doesn't have a hood?  :o

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2013, 08:12:32 PM »
Your Prius doesn't have a hood?  :o

It's called a battery cover...  ;D

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2013, 12:55:53 AM »

It's called a battery cover...  ;D

:rotflmao:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.