Author Topic: air wings for your hands  (Read 43276 times)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
Re: air wings for your hands
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 06:59:32 PM »
Why don't they integrate those in the windscreens?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 07:19:45 PM »
Why don't they integrate those in the windscreens?

I' don't think I'd like that, I like them on in the colder months and off in the warmer ones...

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 07:21:08 PM »

I' don't think I'd like that, I like them on in the colder months and off in the warmer ones...

You must not live where I live..... ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 07:24:59 PM »
You must not live where I live..... ;D

I've been to Madison before in the summer and it was quite nice...  8)

I liked how everything was deep-fried, until I came home and had to try and burn it all back off...  ;)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 07:27:04 PM »
Deep fried is berry berry good........

Offline riverbound51

• It's all about the ride.
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 11:20:18 PM »
I think they look pretty good.  Never thought about taking them off in summer. 
2008 Concours 14
Always looking for the road less traveled
www.odysseymotorcycletouring.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 11:49:51 PM »
I think they look pretty good.  Never thought about taking them off in summer.

The point of having them in the cooler temps is to keep the wind chill off your hands, but in warmer temps the extra breeze is nice...  8)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 06:32:43 AM »
Well, summer is finally coming into the Pac NW, today I removed my air wings and wore my summer gloves!  :thumbs:
 8)   ;D

I love these wings but I'm hoping I don't have to put them back on for another 6 months if you know what I mean...  ;)

I've been wearing my summer gloves for a couple of weeks now. Gonna take my air deflectors off today. I do know what you mean about the 6 months!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 05:30:08 AM »
We went for a nice long ride yesterday and we were in an unfamiliar area checking out some twisties. That got me to thinking when I got home about getting a mount of some kind for my GPS. I just removed my air deflectors and I was looking at the mounting brackets from those. I'm gonna put together a mount for my GPS using the mounting bracket from one of the air deflectors and piece of plexy. The suction cup mount from my Garmin sticks very nicely to the plexy of the Motax and it's in a nice location for viewing the screen. I just need to make it a lil more secure.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2011, 07:06:33 AM »
I just put my ProjektD hand wings on last night and this morning on the way to work it felt great.  I was wearing my summer gloves with the grip heater on 40% and my hands were toasty at 39 F.  Yesterday I had to have the heater turned to 75% for the same effect, I call that an inprovement.  I could feel the wind hitting my arm around the crook of my elbow so they perform as advertised even with Murph's risers.  I blacked out the hardware and it looks purty darn good IMO.  I will post a couple pics this evening.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2011, 08:32:09 AM »
I just put my ProjektD hand wings on last night and this morning on the way to work it felt great.  I was wearing my summer gloves with the grip heater on 40% and my hands were toasty at 39 F.  Yesterday I had to have the heater turned to 75% for the same effect, I call that an inprovement.  I could feel the wind hitting my arm around the crook of my elbow so they perform as advertised even with Murph's risers.  I blacked out the hardware and it looks purty darn good IMO.  I will post a couple pics this evening.

:thumbs:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2011, 10:16:54 AM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
I have Helibar risers and there is a LOT of air on my hands.  I never noticed it yet, since my bike is new and has only seen mostly warm weather.  But it suddenly got cold, and now I know :)  This is my summary of what I saw:

Project D:  It would appear the Projecktd is ONLY for the older 2008/2009 model, and I assume not compatible with the higher mirrors of the 2010/2011/2012.  No mention of easy removability.  Looks like mirror-folding compatible.

Metalbender:  Not made.  And even so, they would be useless to me because they would interfere with folding the mirrors, which is REQUIRED for the CycleShell.

Baker:  (CON14HW?? ) No tech or other info on page, no year compatibility info.  No mention of easy removability.

Motax:  French- no English.  No mention of easy removability.  Looks like they will not interfere with folding the mirrors.  Silver hardware instead of black.  Not USA.

Flathead: Good price, no mirror interference, 2010+, USA... but without a support bracket plus three instead of two holes (not quite what I am looking for).

Any other options out there??    (updated for corrections 09-05 9pm)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:08:13 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2011, 05:28:52 PM »
I have both Metalbender's and Baker's hand wings: The Metalbender's block air better but the Baker's fold inward to push air into the cockpit in the summer. I have not reinstalled Metalbender's since getting the Baker type. The Baker type goes on with one fairing screw, at least on the '08 and '09s. Not sure what is available for the 2010's and later but if available, I would go with Baker's.

Brian

I have Helibar risers and there is a LOT of air on my hands.  I never noticed it yet, since my bike is new and has only seen mostly warm weather.  But it suddenly got cold, and now I know :)  This is my summary of what I saw:

Project D:  It would appear the Projecktd is ONLY for the older 2008/2009 model, and I assume not compatible with the higher mirrors of the 2010/2011/2012.  No mention of easy removability.  Looks like mirror-folding compatible.

Metalbender:  Not made.  And even so, they would be useless to me because they would interfere with folding the mirrors, which is REQUIRED for the CycleShell.

Baker:  (CON14HW?? ) No tech or other info on page, no year compatibility info.  No mention of easy removability.

Motex:  Can't even find site.  No year compatibility info can be found.  No mention of easy removability.  Looks like they will not interfere with folding the mirrors.  Not USA.

Not looking so good.  Any other options out there??
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
I'll get this thread going so that it's available by search later in time, even though this is about the time of year that folks start pulling these off, but in the winter man are they nice...  :hail:

There's a couple options out there... I'll let others post up what they use.

I went with the ProjektD ones and was very pleased, they really take the wind off your hands and keep them warmer in the winter months.  :thumbs:

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_58&products_id=178

Here's some pics of mine.

Thanks Jeremy for bringing this thread back to life!  :chugbeer:

Here's some updated pics of my ProjektD ones that I got for last winter year, I just painted the hardware black before remounting them the other day for this winter, I think they look much better now...  8)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 07:13:25 PM »
Thanks for saving me from having to post pics.  Mine turned out just like your's, ZG.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 09:42:39 PM »
Thanks for saving me from having to post pics.  Mine turned out just like your's, ZG.

All good brutha!  :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2011, 04:53:23 AM »

Motex:  Can't even find site.  No year compatibility info can be found.  No mention of easy removability.  Looks like they will not interfere with folding the mirrors.  Not USA.

First off, it's MOTAX, that might help you find their site. They make models for both the '08/'09s and the '10/'11/'12s, or at least they did. The mirrors on my '08 fold up just fine with the air deflectors installed. As for removing them easily? 4 screws and they're off/on.

'08/'09s  http://www.motax.fr/sommaire_Kawasaki/accessoires_1400_GTR/1400_GTR_07_09_deflecteurs_/1400_gtr_07_09_deflecteurs_.html

'10/'11/'12s  http://www.motax.fr/sommaire_Kawasaki/accessoires_1400_GTR/1400_GTR_10_11__deflecteurs/1400_gtr_10_11__deflecteurs.html

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2011, 05:55:59 AM »
First off, it's MOTAX, that might help you find their site. They make models for both the '08/'09s and the '10/'11/'12s, or at least they did. The mirrors on my '08 fold up just fine with the air deflectors installed. As for removing them easily? 4 screws and they're off/on.

'08/'09s  http://www.motax.fr/sommaire_Kawasaki/accessoires_1400_GTR/1400_GTR_07_09_deflecteurs_/1400_gtr_07_09_deflecteurs_.html

It is just to bad that 69 euro is roughly equivalent to 17,000 of our American dollars.  ;D 

Everytime I would go out with my wife in Germany we would pull 100 euro from the atm, and at the bottom of the receipt it would show the US equivalent, and it was like I got punched in the stomach.  There were times when we were paying 50 euro cents to the dollar.  Now that the Euro is weak along with the dollar it isn't so bad.  It is 75 euro cents to the dollar right now so those hand wings will cost around $95, then tack on international shipping and it won't be cheap.  They do look very nice though.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2011, 09:22:30 AM »
It is just to bad that 69 euro is roughly equivalent to 17,000 of our American dollars.  ;D 

Easily worth twice that price when your hands are freezing.    ;)