Author Topic: Show us your Canyon Cage  (Read 143457 times)

Offline danl

Re: Show us your Canyon Cage
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 09:04:08 AM »
Danl, can you show us this helmet lock?  That sounds brilliant, a helmet lock on the bars.....I'd love to see it.

This is the one we have:
https://www.denniskirk.com/kuryakyn/universal-helmet-lock.p327121.prd/327121.sku

I'll probably spray paint it flat black. It'll get nicked up after a while but that's easy enough to touch up.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 09:30:49 AM »
Question - I have a toy hauler, but have not used for my Concours as I have been hesitant about tie down options. For those of you who have installed the canyon cages, do you think they might serve as points for strapping the bike? Or are they too low to hold bike vertical?

I've considered adding a detachable wheel chock to help, but even then I end up with the mounting rail in my living area, so I haven't even done that yet. And don't think canyon dancers are a good option with the aluminum bars.

Thoughts?
The Connie is much to heavy and the bars are to low to use as the only point of support. It may possibly work with a wheel chock, and tie downs on the canyon cages as well as on the saddle guards.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 09:55:45 AM »
Is he already shipping????  I have heard nothing and was one of the first in the preorder!  I want mine!

You ordered chrome, correct? The chroming process takes quite a bit longer than powder coating due to the "triple dip" process so that's the reason for the delay in shipping the chrome sets out. We're picking up both today though so hopefully we'll have most of the black sets from batch two and all the chrome sets sent out by the end of this week!

Dalroo and I were orders 6 and 14 and we won't be shipped until the 3rd batch if we read it correctly in the thread.

I apologize for the delay in getting your guys' orders out but I believe you were the two that ordered raw, correct? That's most likely why your guys' sets haven't gone out yet. We're picking up batch number two today though so number three isn't too far away.

EDIT: I actually just spoke to my shipping manager and he seems to think we're shipping the two full raw sets out TODAY! He's double checking on that right now but I'll let you guys know later on if they ship today! Woooo!

Question - I have a toy hauler, but have not used for my Concours as I have been hesitant about tie down options. For those of you who have installed the canyon cages, do you think they might serve as points for strapping the bike? Or are they too low to hold bike vertical?

I've considered adding a detachable wheel chock to help, but even then I end up with the mounting rail in my living area, so I haven't even done that yet. And don't think canyon dancers are a good option with the aluminum bars.

Thoughts?

We usually transport our Connies in an enclosed trailer and generally have no problem tying it down. I guess it all depends on where the available spots to latch onto in your trailer are, though. Anyway, I'm not sure how to describe the location that we latch onto exactly but we run soft ties up through the fairing parallel to the front forks on either side of the front wheel. You loop the soft ties around a solid spot (if memory serves me correct I think we use a location near the triple clamp or in that general area) then hook the tie down itself to the soft tie. This way it's high enough on the bike to hold it firmly vertical. Just avoid wrapping the soft tie around the handlebar itself as it's aluminum and has had a tendency to bend or even crack/break under enough pressure. Doing it this way has worked out great for us and we've never had an issue transporting a bike.

With that said, I'd avoid tying the bike down via the Canyon Cage for a few reasons. For one, it hasn't really been tested for that although I'm sure it's strong enough to hold up to the pressure. My real concern is that the Canyon Cage may be positioned a bit low on the bike to really hold it steady. I'd probably explore other options before tying down via the Canyon Cage...
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »
Ryan,
 I just wanted to say that through all these threads and reply's you have been the most respectful guy I have seen in a while.  You explain and answer members questions without an attitude and that is outstanding.  When I had a rear bar arrive with a small defect you were first class in handling the issue.  I look forward to making a front bar purchase. 

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 10:29:41 AM »
Ryan,
 I just wanted to say that through all these threads and reply's you have been the most respectful guy I have seen in a while.  You explain and answer members questions without an attitude and that is outstanding.  When I had a rear bar arrive with a small defect you were first class in handling the issue.  I look forward to making a front bar purchase.

Why thank you, Alpha! I really appreciate you saying that! Although I must say I'm only feigning respect and tolerance because I'm representing a company, I'm actually an ass in real life. HAH! Juuuust kidding! Honestly, though, I think our customer service here from all our Reps is one of the reasons people actually like doing business with us. We try to be as fair as possible and strive to actually satisfy our customers. I'm just glad people actually notice the effort!  :D
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 12:03:55 PM »
Thanks for the info Ryan - and the update on the raw bars!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 03:41:38 PM »
Ryan,  I just wanted to say that through all these threads and reply's you have been the most respectful guy I have seen in a while.  You explain and answer members questions without an attitude and that is outstanding.  When I had a rear bar arrive with a small defect you were first class in handling the issue.  I look forward to making a front bar purchase.

+1  !!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 03:54:38 PM »
I can't wait for mine to arrive. I have a helmet lock that I took off my wife's highway bars I'm going to install on them so I don't have to keep a bag empty to secure my helmet.

Danl, can you show us this helmet lock?  That sounds brilliant, a helmet lock on the bars.....I'd love to see it.

More betterer! --->  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=293.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline danl

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 05:27:34 PM »
The thing is, I already have the one I linked. I did look at the license plate mount one a while back, and would have bought it if I didn't think the one I have would work on the cages. We'll see, maybe it won't fit right.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 05:43:11 PM »
The thing is, I already have the one I linked. I did look at the license plate mount one a while back, and would have bought it if I didn't think the one I have would work on the cages. We'll see, maybe it won't fit right. 

Yikes- what I showed you was NOT a wimpy license plate helmet lock!!!

Breaker19

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 07:07:01 PM »
Why thank you, Alpha! I really appreciate you saying that! Although I must say I'm only feigning respect and tolerance because I'm representing a company, I'm actually an ass in real life. HAH! Juuuust kidding! Honestly, though, I think our customer service here from all our Reps is one of the reasons people actually like doing business with us. We try to be as fair as possible and strive to actually satisfy our customers. I'm just glad people actually notice the effort!  :D

Yup! Ryan rocks! Now, just one question:

:rotflmao:

Offline danl

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 07:19:35 PM »
oops, I see now- i hadn't enlarged the pic. Yes, that is definitely nicer than what I have but I wonder if it would fit with a Givi rack installed, it has brackets that run in that general area.

I could probably drill a hole in the Givi bracket and use a padlock for the helmet.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2012, 11:22:08 AM »
(with proper tools, I wouldn't want to try that inner nut without a quality fine tooth ratchet wrench)
Ryan, this should be added to the tools required. As Kinetic said, I am not so sure I could of installed these without the right tools.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »
Ryan, this should be added to the tools required. As Kinetic said, I am not so sure I could of installed these without the right tools.

Good call. I'll add that to the mounting instructions right now before I forget! Thanks for the heads up!

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 12:05:01 PM »
By "quality fine tooth ratchet wrench" do you mean like a gear wrench?  A socket won't work?  What's the story?  Can you take a picture?
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 12:05:49 PM »
Received my UPS gift this morning (exactly 1 week from CA). Hope to get them mounted up later, but summer decided to move in with 95 degree temps and extreme humidity. VA summers suck!
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 12:25:42 PM »
By "quality fine tooth ratchet wrench" do you mean like a gear wrench?  A socket won't work?  What's the story?  Can you take a picture?

Yes a gear wrench. I was able to get a socket on the left side from underneath, but no way can you get a socket on the right side.

http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wrenches/ratcheting/combination/stockdetails.jsp?view=SAE&part=9020

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 12:46:24 PM »
Yes a gear wrench. I was able to get a socket on the left side from underneath, but no way can you get a socket on the right side.

http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wrenches/ratcheting/combination/stockdetails.jsp?view=SAE&part=9020
So what's the bolt size that need the gear wrench? I'll be near Lowes today and can pickone up.
Thanks
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »
So what's the bolt size that need the gear wrench? I'll be near Lowes today and can pickone up.
Thanks
5/8 just like the link shows  ;D

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 12:55:36 PM »

Someone called about this yesterday and I was having a hard time understanding him. Can't you just use an extender on a normal socket wrench and cinch that bad boy down? He was saying there wasn't enough room for him to twist his normal socket wrench to tighten the bolt down but I believe he was trying to tighten it from inside the fairing. All you need to do is access that bolt from the exterior of the fairing with a basic socket wrench extender. Unless, of course, I'm missing something. This has already come up a few times though so I would like to completely understand what the problem is. Maybe someone can take a photo of the issue at hand?