Author Topic: BMW "light truck" pros/cons  (Read 2115 times)

Offline DeansZG

BMW "light truck" pros/cons
« on: August 25, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »
Looking into the possibility of a bmw k12LT for 2-up touring duty.  Yes, I'm aware of their "reliable" drive train issue, but I'd like to know about other issues, if any.
NO I don't even want to consider the whang thang, no bargains out there for those in the latest version. 
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: BMW "light truck" pros/cons
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 04:08:37 PM »
I rode one. Thought it was lacking power but that's probably because I ride a C14.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MIST

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 04:22:24 PM »
I had an '03 model and an '06 model. At the time I was riding the '06, my riding buddy was on a Wing. Overall I liked my LT better than his Wing. On the LT seat comfort was top notch for both the rider and passenger. The top case provided a good backrest for the passenger. I liked that the top case could be removed and replaced with the "Fort Worth" rack in minutes. The electric windshield was great, allowing ease of adjustment depending on whether you're one or two up. The sound system was loud and clear, even at highway speeds. The electric center stand was great and worked easily even two up. I was comfortable riding it around town or several hundred miles a day on the Interstate. I rode mine a few times from south Florida up to Tennessee and back. It performed flawlessly on the Dragons Tail, Cherohala Skyway, Foothills Parkway, etc. The engine wasn't as strong as the Wing, but it had plenty of power to suit me. The only thing I didn't really care for was the placement of the reverse switch. The motorcycle is a little top heavy and care has to be taken when maneuvering through parking lots at slow speeds, especially two up. As long as you remember throttle / clutch / brake it's not a problem. Never experienced any mechanical problems. All in all I really liked mine and only got rid of it when my wife decided she'd had enough of motorcycling so my two up days were over. Lots of information on the LT board.   
Mike
'10 C14ABS

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:47:53 AM »
I agree on the parking lot handling. The bars don't turn far enough.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:27:14 AM »
Test rode one from the BMW factory demo truck. Very comfy and handles much better then a bike that size ought to. But just didn't have enough oomph for me.