Author Topic: WoW Suzuki stepped it up!  (Read 10886 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: WoW Suzuki stepped it up!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 04:55:07 PM »
Nice! Priced about $2100 below the Tenere. Yes the Terere has 200cc more engine but it also has 75 lbs more weight!  :yikes: I rode a Tenere last year on road and I wasn't impressed. I couldn't imagine taking that thing on any serious off road. I'd like to take this new V-Storm for a ride. But I'd still really really LOVE to take the KTM 1190 ADV R for a ride.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
As much as I love my current steed, THIS has me quite moist!!!!!

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 05:55:41 PM »
I'm crazy about it, thats a lot of bike for 12-13K, I think Suzuki knocked it out of the ball park with this one.

Yeah that Tenere is a HEAVY HEAVY bike, I suspect thats why it hasn't done well. They make a Tenere 600-sumthin CC, but you know how it is Americans want SUV style vehicles so they don't bother to sell it here  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 06:00:30 PM »
As much as I love my current steed, THIS has me quite moist!!!!!

Here you go Poke....

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 06:04:13 PM »
The adventure model I just posted looks so sweet, and I cannot wait until SW Motech and Tourtech debut all the goodies they will be coming out with. I too think it is going to be a homerun, and they for sure made some nice changes to the engine.......this is not a rebadged and massaged Vstrom 1000, this is a totally different bike.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 07:03:48 PM »
Saw one in person-for some reason they chose to put the header pipe WAY out there, WAY WAY out there.  The skid plate needs to be super stout, I can see the one posted in a bad way from one log crossing, or UT rock.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »
Saw one in person-for some reason they chose to put the header pipe WAY out there, WAY WAY out there.  The skid plate needs to be super stout, I can see the one posted in a bad way from one log crossing, or UT rock.

Not made for that, and neither is a GS.  ;)  Gravel, hardpack, very rough roads, and the twisty stuff......THAT is what this bike will excel at, just like the one I have now.  8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 09:25:56 PM »

Not made for that, and neither is a GS.  ;)  Gravel, hardpack, very rough roads, and the twisty stuff......THAT is what this bike will excel at, just like the one I have now.  8)
So, what you are saying is a 51yo, bad back and all guy shouldn't do this-http://stumpjumpers.org/desert100/ on a GS?  After doing this-http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/News/Press-Release-Wickenburg-Desert-Ride-a-BDR-Fundraiser-March-20-23-2014 and this- http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/AZBDR and of course since it's on the way this- http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/UTBDR ?  Looking at some 4000ish miles mid March to the 30th, pack up the trailer (tin tent, 450EXC for the fun run, and GS for the race), and head to Odessa.  We are starting the riding season by heading to Boise for the premier showing of the AZBDR, on the bikes if the weather permits.  Hell of a way to start off the season ;D  I also have these planned, http://pssor.com/pssor-adv .

Don't be a hater, retirement aint for the faint of heart ;)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 11:43:48 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqcEZB25Kqg
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 03:26:44 AM »
OK, guys - so why do all these SUV bikes have that beak?  What does it do besides look ugly?

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 08:13:32 AM »
Nice! Priced about $2100 below the Tenere. Yes the Terere has 200cc more engine but it also has 75 lbs more weight!  :yikes: I rode a Tenere last year on road and I wasn't impressed. I couldn't imagine taking that thing on any serious off road. I'd like to take this new V-Storm for a ride. But I'd still really really LOVE to take the KTM 1190 ADV R for a ride.

But the Tenere is truly an adventure bike.  Not a street bike in adventure clothing like the Vstrom.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 09:24:31 AM »
But the Tenere is truly an adventure bike.  Not a street bike in adventure clothing like the Vstrom.

Maybe. I've never had either off road. To me an adventure bike is a dirt bike with enough comfort to ride a long way on pavement to get to the dirt. Tenere certainly fits the long distance comfort bill but how does it do in the dirt? When I rode one it seemed more like an anemic version of my C14 than a dirt bike.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 10:03:10 AM »
Uh, no.  Your KLX is far more of an adventure bike than the Tenere, heck, it is more of an ADV bike than my 800.  What does the Tenere lack that my 800 has?  Suspension travel.  If I were to do a RTW type trip I would be on a 450 class bike and pack in an entirely different way.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »

You are fooling yourself with that statement, I can assure you of that. Buddy of mine has a Tenere and also had a V-Strom 1000 for years, he could take that Strom everywhere he takes that Tenere now. His nickname is "Dirtdad" if that tells you anything. ;) There are so many upgrades and bolt ons for a Strom it is just craziness, you can make them pretty much whatever you want them to be. It is all about the rider more than the bike, you of all people should know that.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 10:50:17 AM »
Uh, no.  Your KLX is far more of an adventure bike than the Tenere, heck, it is more of an ADV bike than my 800.  What does the Tenere lack that my 800 has?  Suspension travel.  If I were to do a RTW type trip I would be on a 450 class bike and pack in an entirely different way.

We obviously have different versions of adventure and going off the beaten path, but on the big ADV bikes you can actually ride all over the country in "comfort" and search of mild off-road excursions and other adventures. There is no 1 bike that does it all, but most of the big ADV bikes come pretty damn close in many ways.

I have a WR for the more aggressive and tight stuff, having multiple weapons choices is a beautiful thing. Many can only have 1 bike, and bikes like the Strom and GS fits the bill for many styles of riding.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 12:01:45 PM »
Weight, ease of maintenance (thumper, air cooled), and agile. The 800 is my compromise bike, capable everywhere, yet nothing great.  Not being a wealthy guy I would be on the bike that presented the lowest cost per mile.  Heck, I would have a silk tarp and tyvex ground cloth for shelter.  My camp stove (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431851) will be an alcohol burning beer can (on their way, I will be using these on my next trip), my biggest luxury will be a coffee pot, which also doubles as my cooking pot.  My plate will serve many functions, frying pan, sand shovel, and for entertainment, Frisbee.
ADV riders of the current genre have very little in common with the ADV riders of old.  I like comfort as well as the next guy, that is why I ride the F8, my tent is a Redverz and is so so nice.  The winch?  Insurance for a guy with a bad back, but it really is a convenience, I have rope and a couple of pulleys to setup a Z Drag.

We at the school broke it down this way, ADV Riders cross borders as minimalists, DS Riders do paved and unpaved, Dirt Riders ride dirt.  It has been said that some %70 of the roads on the world are unpaved.  I have a hard time wondering why so many confine themselves with the often overcrowded paved bits?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 01:01:39 PM »
Time and money.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 01:13:50 PM »
Time and money.
There is that.  Although I have heard from those that have done the RTW time is an excuse and money can be made along the way ;)  We can exist for work or work to exist.