Author Topic: Rider gets blown off of road (video link)  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Rider gets blown off of road (video link)
« on: May 05, 2018, 03:44:27 PM »
Saw this today and I thought it might make for good “food for thought”.  At worst, it make make us rethink how we ride in heavy winds.  I’m not posting this to harp on this rider, he makes some obvious errors in his riding, but, to his credit, he doesn’t overreact to being blown into the grass median and keeps the bike upright.

Questions: 
What factors contributed to him getting blown off of the roadway?
Could this happen to us on our C14s?
How would you react if this happened to you?
What would be the best way to prevent this?

https://youtu.be/38N7UKh4phU
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Rider gets blown off of road (video link)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 03:58:49 PM »
IMO:
Operator error- he should have leaned further to the right. He had plenty of room left to lean and was increasing his lean angle but not fast enough. NOTE: that said, he did maintain control quite nicely transitioning first over the rumble strip at 80 MPH +, and then onto the grass, and doing it quite gracefully.

Yes, it could happen on a C-14. All you need is the bike, and to be riding on I-90 in the state of South Dakota (seriously). I rode for hours in such cross- winds that they actually blew my glove box cover off the bike (the cover and mount, not just opening the lid).

That rider actually did exactly what I would have done in accelerating and moving slightly to the left side of the lane in preparation of passing that truck. He did everything fine IMO, just not quite enough 'right rudder' quickly enough to stay on the pavement.

Be prepared for make more significant corrections as needed. Seriously. The C-14 is a great bike but with a large windshield and a big top box, it would have been blown farther, faster than the bike in the video. Either more aggressive and faster steering inputs, or go the other way and simply slow down and do NOT pass large vehicles, and if possible, do not let them pass you.

Excellent video- thanks for posting that. It makes it extremely clear how small under or over- corrections can add up fast and have the whole thing get away from the rider. IMO that was not a gross error or even operator error, just a rather small mistake that the situation would not allow. Same thing would go if one was driven off to the shoulder of pavement where the sand is- a fairly common situation.

Brian

Saw this today and I thought it might make for good “food for thought”.  At worst, it make make us rethink how we ride in heavy winds.  I’m not posting this to harp on this rider, he makes some obvious errors in his riding, but, to his credit, he doesn’t overreact to being blown into the grass median and keeps the bike upright.

Questions: 
What factors contributed to him getting blown off of the roadway?
Could this happen to us on our C14s?
How would you react if this happened to you?
What would be the best way to prevent this?

https://youtu.be/38N7UKh4phU
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 06:39:27 PM »
Would have had more room if he was in the right lane.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 09:16:49 PM »
At 80 MPH, I don't think he was prepared for the blast after leaving the "protection" of the large vehicle in the right lane.  An honest mistake, but 100% preventable.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 10:14:06 AM »
+1.  I've ridden out west through those winds on a C14, it wasn't pleasant and you always have to think about where a crosswind might suddenly appear like in passing a truck.  Heck, I've seen that here between King George and Fredericksburg on route 3.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 09:27:36 AM »
When passing a truck or trailer like that in high winds, I'm prepared for the onslaught as you get passed it. Start from the left and start pointing the nose to the right as I get past the wind break. And I agree with Brian, plenty more lean angle available. That said, nice job not panicking and keeping the rubber side down as he went into the median.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 10:09:59 AM »
This guy missed his chance at 'winning' that day's Darwin Award. And he was so close!  :thumbs: