Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 672835 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #3420 on: October 03, 2020, 06:56:40 AM »
That's interesting as when I hear the work Indians, I think of our indigenous populations, not the ones external to our country.  Yet another word's meaning that has morphed somewhat.

That one should be morphed, though.  Indians are from India :)  If you say "Indian" out of context, one will not know what was meant in the USA.  And everywhere else in the world, they would rightfully assume you mean Indian and not Native American.  I have never met a Native American, but I have met many Indians.

Of course, Native Americans are actually from Asia.  And if you go back far enough, everyone is from Africa.

Meanwhile, if one uses ANY term with a hyphenated (or unhyphentated) "[Area]-American" (African-American, Asian-American, Native-American, Hispanic-American, Arab-American, etc), I *insist* they call me "European-American" and not "White."  (I actually don't care what you call me, I only care that terms are at least roughly equal and like to point out the hypocrisy, PC, and virtue signaling).

Of course, eventually, all this obsession with "race" and its description and nomenclature will hopefully die, because it really doesn't make any sense.  If you are 1/8 this and 1/4 that and 2/3 who knows or cares, no term works, anyway.  Your skin color, eye shape/color, hair type/color, height, nose size, etc, say absolutely nothing about who you really are, what you value, or how you think or act.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3421 on: October 03, 2020, 08:18:52 AM »
That's only the Plains Indians.  I don't think the ones on the East or West coasts used horses...much.  I associate Indians with bows and arrows and sneaking up on you.

Really?...I'd think you would associate Indians with an overpriced motorcycle company.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3422 on: October 03, 2020, 08:20:58 AM »
That one should be morphed, though.  Indians are from India :)  If you say "Indian" out of context, one will not know what was meant in the USA.  And everywhere else in the world, they would rightfully assume you mean Indian and not Native American.  I have never met a Native American, but I have met many Indians.

Of course, Native Americans are actually from Asia.  And if you go back far enough, everyone is from Africa.

Meanwhile, if one uses ANY term with a hyphenated (or unhyphentated) "[Area]-American" (African-American, Asian-American, Native-American, Hispanic-American, Arab-American, etc), I *insist* they call me "European-American" and not "White."  (I actually don't care what you call me, I only care that terms are at least roughly equal and like to point out the hypocrisy, PC, and virtue signaling).

Of course, eventually, all this obsession with "race" and its description and nomenclature will hopefully die, because it really doesn't make any sense.  If you are 1/8 this and 1/4 that and 2/3 who knows or cares, no term works, anyway.  Your skin color, eye shape/color, hair type/color, height, nose size, etc, say absolutely nothing about who you really are, what you value, or how you think or act.

blah...blah...blah    Didn't you ever watch The Lone Ranger?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3423 on: October 03, 2020, 08:25:23 AM »
Really?...I'd think you would associate Indians with an overpriced motorcycle company.

ooooh...  "oh no you didn't!!!"

blah...blah...blah    Didn't you ever watch The Lone Ranger?

No.  I found "Westerns" completely uninteresting.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #3424 on: October 03, 2020, 01:46:42 PM »

:rotflmao:

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3425 on: October 03, 2020, 04:02:15 PM »
There have been and still are many religious groups and sects throughout the world. A pretty common tenant of at least some religions is to 'be fruitful and multiply', which basically means that group will be expanding. One particular group went the opposite way though and actually did it quite well.

The Quaker Shakers, or just the Shakers, are a religious group that preaches and practices, among other things, celibacy. And they practice celibacy regardless of gender or even married state.... many Shakers were married but all were celebate. Of course when done properly (read: done) it is a very effective means of population control, unlike some methods practiced by some of our own members (shiver me timbers!). Of course this has had the easily predictable result, there are fewer and fewer Shakers around. Founded in England in the mid 18th century, the settled in America right around the time of the American revolution. Reaching a peak population in the mid- 19th century, they 'celebated' (which sounds like celebrated but is missing both the 'R' as well as sex) their way down to a single community of what appears to be two members, a male and a female though the female is far beyond child bearing years, assuming they even tried to rearrange some of their beliefs before it is too late.

Just about everything all living species do is designed to first survive and then expand that species' numbers. The Shakers went the other way and apparently were successful.

See Marty, this ^^^^ is an effective way to prevent people.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3426 on: October 03, 2020, 05:58:15 PM »
See Marty, this ^^^^ is an effective way to prevent people.

I'm no Shaker. Well maybe at the urinal I am, but that's off topic..Oh wait, no it isn't. 8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3427 on: October 03, 2020, 06:58:42 PM »

Well, for an over priced company they're doing pretty damn well (in fact, the best year ever), unlike the other one with one foot in the grave.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3428 on: October 03, 2020, 07:25:11 PM »
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" 

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #3429 on: October 04, 2020, 06:47:15 AM »
My Indians were eliminated from the playoffs by the overpaid Yankees this past week. :)
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3430 on: October 04, 2020, 09:02:11 AM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3431 on: October 06, 2020, 10:20:00 AM »
I always laugh out loud when I hear someone saying "I'm pure English".
What the  :censored: does that mean really?
What it means is that you are an uneducated, narrow minded, nationalistic bore.

What you actually are is ?% Celt, ?% Pict, ?% Briton, ?% Roman (and they sent troops from every part of the Empire to England), ?% Saxon, ?% Angle , ?% Jute,  ?% Viking, ?% French, and probably ?% African/Caribbean, ?% Middle-eastern, ?% Asian, etc. so you are in fact a mongrel, just like the rest of us.
Only the percentages change.

"Pure" blood only comes from inbreeding, which come to think of it would explain a lot.  :rotflmao:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3432 on: October 06, 2020, 01:41:55 PM »
I'm certainly not pure English.  Strong roots in East Anglia, but 52% England and Northwestern Europe (Netherlands, Belgium, Northern France, and Luxembourg with maybe a scoche of Swiss), Scotland 16%, Norway and Wales 12%, Germanic Europe 5%, Sweden 2% and Finland 1%.  Hey Boomer, maybe we're related LOL! The British Isles have been successfully invaded many times.  I guess that people forget that fact.

I really don't understand this as my wife is more 'English' than I am and I had an English mother!  She's 65% England and Northwestern Europe and 28% Scottish!  I can only assume that the Vikings didn't get their hands on her very distant relatives unlike mine.

Over here the big thing in both mine and my wife's family are the rumours of Indian (not the ones in India) DNA...   Well ha ha to both our families in that there is none.  DNA don't lie.  Family members on both sides refused to believe the DNA results.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3433 on: October 06, 2020, 02:45:03 PM »
We are ALL related, no matter if you believe in evolution or creationism (I think it is called 'intelligent design' these days?). The lines back into our past converge, if not down to one couple then down to a handful of couples that were related. That makes all of us related. Even when you meet someone and really, really, really do not want to believe that.....  :rotflmao:

<snip>

Hey Boomer, maybe we're related LOL!

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3434 on: October 06, 2020, 03:40:33 PM »
Quite!

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3435 on: October 07, 2020, 01:26:27 AM »
We are ALL related, no matter if you believe in evolution or creationism (I think it is called 'intelligent design' these days?). The lines back into our past converge, if not down to one couple then down to a handful of couples that were related. That makes all of us related. Even when you meet someone and really, really, really do not want to believe that.....  :rotflmao:
Oh no, now I feel dirty!  :rotflmao:
Not over anyone on here (put that sword down Jim!) but quite a few people I can think of.
I'm off for a shower,..... in Chlorox.  :yikes:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3436 on: October 23, 2020, 02:18:47 AM »
The material that is most recycled on Earth is asphalt. Yep, old roads are ground up, mixed with a new binder and then put back in place as new roads.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3437 on: October 23, 2020, 08:32:37 AM »
The material that is most recycled on Earth is asphalt. Yep, old roads are ground up, mixed with a new binder and then put back in place as new roads.
They are now also padding out the asphalt with waste plastics for an asphalt that is more flexible and resistant to water/potholes as well as reusing waste plastics.
https://www.macrebur.com/
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3438 on: October 23, 2020, 03:29:41 PM »
And now one for all you orthodox, observant Jewish Concours riders out there: are deer and other members of the deer family kosher? Well, kinda' but practically not likely. Yeah, it is one of those subjects that I figured would be great to show the difference between kashrut law (Jewish dietary law) and the US voting system because voting is so clear and precise.....

The family of animals in the deer group are kosher (meaning OK to eat... and Easy Boys!!!). But the rub is, and I do not mean a deer BBQ rub here, you cannot shoot the animal to kill it not take it with an arrow or bolt. Kashrut law states that the animal must not be traumatized or shocked just before or when it is killed 'cause that would cause a large dose of adrenaline to be introduced into the animal's body. You have to cut the jugular vein, carotid artery, windpipe and trachea in one stroke so the animal dies without pain. Not many hunters take game animals that way 'cause it is tough what with all the sneaking up on them, cutting their throats without them noticing you and so forth. Theoretically meat from a deer farm could be consumed but again, it is not likely they kill or butcher the animals according to kashrut law.

So with less than two weeks to go, most Americans can bask in the fact that voting is so simple and straightforward. Just pick a candidate and go vote. Or vote from home. Hey, how about both?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3439 on: October 26, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »
Speaking of meat, what is corned beef? How about pastrami?

Both start with the same cut of meat, and that is a primal cut called the brisket. The pectoral muscles between the steer's front legs. This is a rough, tough cut of meat with a lot of connective tissue in it so unless really beaten down with heat, it is almost inedible. The brisket (called a packer brisket when it is still whole) is a large piece, made of two sub cuts, the 'flat' and the 'point'; the flat is relatively lean while the point has quite a lot of intramuscular fat. The whole brisket or packer cut briskets are almost exclusively used for BBQ where they are both smoked and cooked for a long time at very low temperatures so the connective tissue is broken down. Brisket can be an excellent piece of beef but it does not forgive lousy technique. It is also a large cut, weighing in the range of 12 to over 20 lbs.

Corned beef is a piece of beef, almost always the brisket, that is brined and cured in both table salt as well as 'curing' salt or sodium nitrite. The table salt used a long time ago was in the form of very large crystals or "corns" of salt, hence the name corned beef (there is no corn used in the process). The sodium nitrite is pink in color and gives the corned beef its dark pink color. The brining / curing process takes around 8 days and at the end you have a piece of brisket, usually the flat or point alone as they are separated before curing, that is cured, salted and still raw. It is typically cooked by boiling for a long time and has a unique taste.

Pastrami is a little more involved and starts off with a piece of brisket, usually the flat, that has already been 'corned'. So to make pastrami, one needs corned beef rather than a raw piece of beef as it was butchered. The corned beef cut is covered in spices (no salt- it is already quite salty) which are almost always pepper based. Then the beef is smoked at low temps., perhaps 225 to 275F for at least several hours and often closer to a full day. It can be consumed right out of the smoker but it is more commonly left to cool completely and then sliced cold and either eaten that way or re- heated by steam if done in a restaurant that specializes in that type of product. Again, it has the pink color from curing but is somewhat darker than the original corned beef and again is a unique flavor not really similar to anything else including the corned beef it was made from.

Barbeque started in the Caribbean and maybe also in Florida. Europeans picked it up in a big way when they got to the new world. As old world people moved west in America, they took barbeque with them. But it was done using pork and when BBQ got to Texas it started to include beef, again usually the rougher, tough, other wise pretty useless cuts such as brisket. BBQ'ing beef came with its own problem though in that the meat did not have enough fat to fully cook without tending to dry out so they started to use what is called the 'Texas crutch', which is smoking the meat until it reaches between 150F and 170F internal temp. and then wrapping it in foil or paper and putting it back on the pit to finish cooking without smoking as it is now covered. Most cuts of meat are brought up to just over 200F but they slow way down in temp. rise around 160F, which is called the 'stall' and wrapping it pushes it through this stall to the final temperature. So brisket is a long, two step process to smoke, and that does not include prepping the meat which takes a lot of trimming or injecting and / or seasoning the outside (called the 'rub').

All three ways to use a brisket can result in some really desirable end products but none are quick or easy like, say, a piece of sirloin is to prep. and cook. And the full packer brisket looks like someone cut it out of the steer's carcass with a dull chainsaw. But given the time and a bit of learning, it does make a very nice finished meal that is not really like any other cut or process type of beef.