Author Topic: How do you "clutch"  (Read 9940 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: How do you "clutch"
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 05:36:07 AM »
Max,  I was just making a statement not an accusation.

No prob

I was saying that was the worst case of abuse, but even so however briefly the shift is done, it will cause more wear than using the clutch. It may be so minor as to make the whole thing an exercise in microns but the two gears have to be at the same speed and that is more efficient if the clutch separates the engine from input of the transmission.

I could agree with that.  But what I was saying is that using the clutch puts some wear on the clutch.  So which do you think is more total wear on the two systems combined?  Perfect (or consistently good) clutchless shifting or regular clutch shifting?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 10:57:14 AM »
Many bikes come stock today with quick shifters already that bypass any hand clutch action.

Doesn't hurt anything.  Street or track. Do it, many of us do with no probs and mega-miles
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 12:37:37 PM »
After you master the dynamics and everything is working in harmony, it is almost second nature to upshift w/o the clutch, especially on a butter smooth unit like the C-14. Kawasaki's seem to upshift so smoothly with no effort; the Yamaha's and Honda's always seem a little more clunky. Downshifting w/o a clutch is more of a chore, and I'm not as comfortable doing that unless in an emergency. Been doing this 45 years with cars, bikes, and tractors with nary a clutch replacement ever.

My bike must be different.  I've found the transmission to be very clunky compared to my Hondas.  Both of my Hondas had very smooth transmissions.  I think that's been the hardest thing to adjust to on my C14...  The clutch is great, but the shifter is not smooth, at all.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 12:39:11 PM »
My bike must be different.  I've found the transmission to be very clunky compared to my Hondas.  Both of my Hondas had very smooth transmissions.  I think that's been the hardest thing to adjust to on my C14...  The clutch is great, but the shifter is not smooth, at all.

you may want to have that peeked at, both my old ZX14 and C14 shift like butter. almost scary smooth
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 02:18:35 PM »
 Max, since I have never worn out a clutch on anything I have driven, and since the clutch is pretty easy to get to I would much rather do a clutch.  But if careful either method should provide safety.  I spent 20 years in car service with BMW and M-B and I have seen it all. 
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »
Move your shifter down.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline AZBob

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 04:26:04 PM »
Though I am sure you can do it without damaging anything, I'm not sure what you gain.

The shift is smoother and faster when done correctly. Not a huge gain.

Offline PH14

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
you may want to have that peeked at, both my old ZX14 and C14 shift like butter. almost scary smooth

They become buttery smooth after shifting without the clutch for a while.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 09:18:58 PM »
Many bikes come stock today with quick shifters already that bypass any hand clutch action.

Doesn't hurt anything.  Street or track. Do it, many of us do with no probs and mega-miles
Steve is correct. I ride clutch-less up and down on all my bikes, KLR650, C10- with over 110k miles, C14 and the Gsxr1000 track bike. Never an issue including bikes I owned in the past.
My old Eddie Lawson Replica shifted butter smooth.
I recently broke my wrist and have been riding any chance I can. It hurts like heck at stop lights  and starting out from a  stop but after that  I go clutchless.
 I   can shift  smoother without than with the clutch. Maybe it takes practice or maybe it is not meant for everyone.
I would feel silly on track days using the clutch all the time. My hand would fall off after 2 days of track time.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline PH14

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »

I recently broke my wrist and have been riding any chance I can. It hurts like heck at stop lights  and starting out from a  stop but after that  I go clutchless.

I did the same many years ago. I had an accident and crushed my left wrist, the index finger knuckle and broke the thumb at the joint all on the left hand. Needless to say, I had a bit of problem with the clutch for a while. I would use it of course to get going but went clutchless for everything else. Works fine.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 05:26:50 AM »
My old Eddie Lawson Replica shifted butter smooth.

ZRX!  That was my last bike (and the correct color too, Kawasaki green) :)  And the shifter felt just like the C14.

I can shift  smoother without than with the clutch.

Me too
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 03:34:09 PM »
the correct color too, Kawasaki green

Finally!!! After 3320 posts Max finally says something I agree with...  ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 03:56:41 PM »
Finally!!! After 3320 posts Max finally says something I agree with...  ;D

Give me a break!

Anyway, here she is (or was)....

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 05:06:17 PM »
No not the ZRX.. The REAL ELR. mine was the last air cooled model in 1984- 1100
Like this one. It was THE bike to have back then.  A V-Max could not keep up with mine. ( I had some work done to it.)
Eddie lawson Kz1100r Gpz1100 b1 kz1000r

I even had the fancy gold chain to match the rims. I miss that bike.
http://tinyurl.com/lhxb56c
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 09:59:55 PM »
Like this one.

Neat

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2013, 11:57:02 PM »
Max, you da man! I almost bought an ELR last year, but the guy would not budge from an outrageous asking price. I also have an original '74 Z-1B that ruled the road back in the day. It still starts with 1 kick- that's right, 1 kick ( or push button). That bike is bulletproof and I survived somehow..

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2013, 06:35:34 AM »
Max, you da man! I almost bought an ELR last year, but the guy would not budge from an outrageous asking price. I also have an original '74 Z-1B that ruled the road back in the day. It still starts with 1 kick- that's right, 1 kick ( or push button). That bike is bulletproof and I survived somehow..
How about some pics? Coffin fuel tank?
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2013, 09:24:50 AM »
Like this one. It was THE bike to have back then.  A V-Max could not keep up with mine. ( I had some work done to it.)
Eddie lawson Kz1100r Gpz1100 b1 kz1000r

I even had the fancy gold chain to match the rims. I miss that bike.
http://tinyurl.com/lhxb56c

Sweet!  8) :thumbs: