Poll

were your plugs and valves fine or needed replaced and adjusted?

valves needed adjusted and plugs needed replaced
2 (4.9%)
valves needed adjusted but plugs were fine
9 (22%)
valves were fine but plugs needed replaced
2 (4.9%)
valves and plugs were both fine
10 (24.4%)
rolled the dice and didn't do the 15k mile service
18 (43.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: 15k mile service  (Read 10980 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
15k mile service
« on: March 27, 2014, 09:56:25 AM »

I'm at about 13k miles right now but am possibly doing a 2k+ mile trip at the end of May, so I'm thinking just have them do the 15k mile service next week while my bike has all the bodywork off for my next body swap, thus saving me at least some cost on the 15k mile service related to the labor...  :-\

I see a lot of posts that this 15k mile service is a waste of a $1k and that most valves and plugs are fine, so as much as I don't think it all that necessary per say I'm not about to roll the dice on my warranty...  :-\

So I'm curious how many folks actually needed valves adjusted or plugs replaced...  :-\

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: 15k mile service
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 10:01:12 AM »
I did not even check mine until 25K miles and all valves were w/in spec. and the plugs looked new.

But on a more important concern I have about your bike: you must be at or past the 15,000 times mark as you have removed the bodywork fasteners at least that many times now, shouldn't you be replacing all of them? And how about the holes in the frame- they must be worn out too.... time for some HeliCoils or thread sleeve inserts? And then the tools you have been using- they must be pretty rounded by now too.

:rotflmao:

Brian

I'm at about 13k miles right now but am possibly doing a 2k+ mile trip at the end of May, so I'm thinking just have them do the 15k mile service next week while my bike has all the bodywork off for my next body swap, thus saving me at least some cost on the 15k mile service related to the labor...  :-\

I see a lot of posts that this 15k mile service is a waste of a $1k and that most valves and plugs are fine, so as much as I don't think it all that necessary per say I'm not about to roll the dice on my warranty...  :-\

So I'm curious how many folks actually needed valves adjusted or plugs replaced...  :-\
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 10:14:32 AM »
But on a more important concern I have about your bike: you must be at or past the 15,000 times mark as you have removed the bodywork fasteners at least that many times now, shouldn't you be replacing all of them? And how about the holes in the frame- they must be worn out too.... time for some HeliCoils or thread sleeve inserts? And then the tools you have been using- they must be pretty rounded by now too.

:rotflmao:

Brian

:rotflmao:   Each set of plastics have their own fasteners, so all is well Brian.  ;D :chugbeer:

I did not even check mine until 25K miles and all valves were w/in spec. and the plugs looked new.

I thought you had to do all the required services for warranty? Just like on cars etc...  ??? :-\

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 10:19:11 AM »
when I checked at 15k, everything was ok, but valves were on the tight side.... I buttoned it back up, and waited till I was around 22k, and then did the complete job. I did need to re-shim at that time.
plugs were on my bench from the first check, so I replaced them on G. P., and retained the ones I pulled for future use.

even though lots of folks say thiers was fine, and needed no adjustments, I still think it's wise to jump in there and inspect, just for the principle of it....

as I do my own service, I always mark the date and my initials inside the cover just in case there is a dispute... hate to void a warranty....

the bummer part about having someone else do the work is getting the data (shim map and measurements) on a signed off tech sheet.... the dealers just seem to neglect to do this, and cause everyone to start from scratch every time.... bastiches.... ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:54:01 AM »
Did my valve check at 23k miles. None out of spec, five on the tight side, and replaced the with shims to bring them on the loose side of nominal. Plugs were in excellent condition. Hit them with a spark plug brush and put them back in. I wouldn't waste another second of thought on this service interval before taking your trip. The bike is fine.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 11:04:10 AM »
I wouldn't waste another second of thought on this service interval before taking your trip. The bike is fine.

I'm not concerned at all about doing it before my trip, I was only thinking do it next week while all the bodywork is already off to save me some $ on the labor vs having to do it in June when I get back.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 11:40:50 AM »
Well, it could be a consideration but there are several reasons why I was / am not concerned about it (my bike is still under warranty): 1) the warranty issue would have to be something related to the valvetrain for that to even come up or be a valid thought. If the front rotors warp, it is of no relevance if the valve train maintenance was done / done on time / done correctly, etc. So the odds of having any warranty issue having anything to do with the valve train are remote. 2) Even if it were something that could be somehow related, the burden is on the issuer of the warranty, not the owner, to show cause why the warranty should be invalidated. For example, if an engine throws a rod, and the crankcase oil turns out to be this thick, black sludge, then the mfg. has a reasonable stance on claiming reasonable and recommended maintenance was not done. 3) I have a good dealer and they are quite reasonable. I do not believe we (myself, the dealer and perhaps Kawasaki) could not reach some kind of reasonable and fair accord on any major warranty issue. A lot of warranty claims are a gray area in my opinion so a reasonable attitude and expectation go a LONG way to having a good result.

But then again, nothing at all wrong with having your valve lash checked at the specified interval, and you are right in that with the clothes off the bike, a great deal of the work is already done.

It is my opinion that 25K or so miles is a much more reasonable interval for valve lash checks, just as the service manual states (actually 26K miles) for all non US / Canada bikes. I believe the shorter interval is driven by an agreement between Kawasaki and the EPA and has absolutely nothing to do with the mechanical needs of the bike. Or even actual emissions for that matter. But I am not on a horse screaming that everyone / anyone should NOT do a lash check at 15K miles either; I really do not have any stake in the matter other than on my own bike and then only so far as wasting time and effort on my part goes.

But I am surprised you only have 15K on your bike- that is not even 1,000 miles per color, is it?   :-)

Brian

I thought you had to do all the required services for warranty? Just like on cars etc...  ??? :-\
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 12:20:43 PM »

But I am surprised you only have 15K on your bike- that is not even 1,000 miles per color, is it?   :-)

Brian

;D :chugbeer:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »

Did you replace your plugs at 7500?  I think that is even more of a joke.  I am overdue for that service now and I am going to skip plugs at 7500 and probably 15000 too...  Valve check?  Probably going to wait a loooong time for that.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 04:23:42 PM »

No.  That has been covered many times in the forums.  They can only deny warranty work if they have proof or evidence that not performing a *recommended* service was the direct cause of the problem.  The burden is supposed to be on them.  For example, not replacing a spark plug will not cause a valve failure.  Not checking/adjusting the valves cannot cause a problem with the transmission or a fuel injector.  But not replacing a spark plug COULD cause a plug to seize in the head and break when later replaced...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Stubby

• 2011 Silver ABS Concours 1400
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 04:24:47 PM »
I'm with BDF on this one my mechanic says go to 25K before cking the valves according to him the Euro model calls for it at 25K and it's the same motor so that's what I'm going to do. YMMV
it's better to ask forgiveness than permission..... So I have been told

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 04:37:14 PM »
I'm with BDF on this one my mechanic says go to 25K before cking the valves according to him the Euro model calls for it at 25K and it's the same motor so that's what I'm going to do. YMMV

+1

Actually the nearest service interval would be 22.5K miles (36K Kilometers).  At 22.5K I might have the valves and spark plugs checked.  Even that is probably too soon, but at least it is far more reasonable than having the plugs replaced THREE TIMES already in that period (my car calls for 105,000 miles on plugs... that would be 15 times on the Concours???).

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 09:33:32 PM »
Had to change the valve cover gasket at 50000 kilometers. (approx. 31000 miles).
Checked the valves and they were in spec. The plugs were like new but I changed them anyway because it's a pain to get in there.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 09:50:32 PM »
If you have the plastic off, maybe. You will probably have it off at 15K too! Probably only cost a couple hun to get it done now. My first was at about 15K and most were out of spec. The second was in Dec. at 29K and several were out again. The plugs - fugitaboutit. I changed mine at 15K and didn't need to. Didn't even pull them last time.

Offline st2sam

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 06:34:12 AM »
My two cents.
Does the bike start quickly hot or cold?
Does the bike idle OK?
Does it have as much power as when new?

If you answer yes to all of these, IMHO save a few bucks and wait until 30,000mi. or so...

I have not opened mine up yet and over 50,000mi. on my '09, it runs as good as new. (if not stronger) :thumbs:
 I'll probably get some flak for this but I'm sticking with the majority, 15,000mi. is a little early.
2009 Kawasaki C14
1993 Ducati 907ie (for sale)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 06:02:55 AM »
+1

I'm in Europe, and enjoy the anal attention to precision that the German mechanics are known for, and I've got the valves checked at 48 000 km for the first time, that's like 30 000 miles. 7 of the 16 valves were very little out of spec on the loose side. Spark plugs are being changed every 24 000 km (15 000 miles) and they always come out fine.
I'm still a couple of oil changes away for a second valve check, looking forward what the values will be then...

BTW, I take care of her and don't drive like a madman, but when I go the Alps I do let her flex her muscles and rev to 10 000 rpm every now and then.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:33:29 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 07:59:21 AM »
 I have done a couple C14's and just like every other motorcycle I have ever done valve adjustment service on, which counts in the thousands, there has never been a single bike ever to not need atleast soem of them adjusted! Never not one!

There is simply no way no how that anyone on this forum or anywhere can make such a ridiculous claim as to say that your bike doesn't need them adjusted or that it is a waste of time and money or even that their own bike without having it doen runs as good or better than it did new. Those are ridiculous claims and I would love for some proof of those claims- they will offer nothing but conjecture and seat of the pants bullshit rhetoric, and when that fails them they use logic that isn't logical in that there gas mileage hasn't changed or got better or some other such non sense that doesn't proove a thing

The very first valve adjustment is by far the most important and I actually recommend and can't stress enough it is certainly worth doing and even worth doing early. ON average on a 16v shim under bucket engine I replace 10 or more shims either due to them being actually out of spec or right at the very edge of spec.

Just because technically the very edge is "in spec" doesn't mean to put on blinders and say they are in spec so all is good. Kawasaki (or any oem) didn't send the bike out the door with them near the edge......How do I know, I have taken apart and inspected valve clearances on dozens and dozens of bikes with under 50 miles on them for race bike prep and they go to great pains to have them set pretty much dead center. So much so they use shims that are sizes like 3.01mm, 3.04mm etc, sizes you and I can not even buy from anyone. So if you feel them moving a couple thousandths tighter or looser and being near the edge is fine, where do you suppose they will be in the next interval?

So I find the "advice" of some or the mere suggestion to bury your head in the sand and assume it is fine and all is good etc ridiculous and actually pretty fricking offensive and ignorant, since I know for fact what goes on inside these engines and most of the ones screaming the loudest how great their bike runs without doing anything or don't need this or don't need that don't have a clue.

Sure will the bike run, you bet it will run right until it doesn't, will it run how it is intended or near the peak of performance certainly not, not even close.

Make certain to adjust the TPs and synchronize the throttle bodies too plus there are other electrical sinsor components worth checking at the same time.

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 10:49:15 AM »
So when getting a valve adjustment done, I should also consider getting the TPs adjusted, synchronize the throttle bodies and now having "other electrical sinsor components" checked.

What other "electrical sensor components", are you referring to?
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

omcrider

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »
I bought my Connie with 30k miles on it already. When I installed the K&N filter it didn't look like the air filter had ever been cleaned so I doubt the valves were ever checked. I am pretty mechanical but doing valves always makes me really nervous. Do many on this board do there own and if I was going to what should I be aware of beforehand.  If I took it to a dealer I would certainly want the spec sheet of what they found. Anyone in the Sf bay area know a dealer or mechanic shop that does a great job of this? I get the feeling some dealers if they are in spec wehter slightly loose or tight just leave them there istead of setting them back to a more centered spec.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 04:43:18 PM »
I take mine in for all valve adjustments so I know they replace the plugs, but they did mention the valves didn't need adjusting at 15k or 30k. Within spec both times.

Good job ZG for reaching 15k 13k!
Keep up the good work, maybe by 2030 you'll reach 30k!
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"