Author Topic: Looking for brake mods  (Read 2975 times)

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
Looking for brake mods
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:07:02 AM »
I've only found a couple posts on this.  What are my options for front brakes?  Are the adaptor brackets still made?  Are there any better calipers that just bolt on?  Do I need to go with bigger discs?
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Looking for brake mods
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 05:28:05 PM »
There are no "better" calipers that just bolt on; nor can you just install larger rotors without installing brackets of some type. Check with Murph as he has been known to be able to put his hands on caliper adapter brackets that allow the use of the common 4-piston calipers used by a stink load of other bikes. Another option that greatly improves braking feel is putting on a set of stainless steel brake lines as well as a set of HH rated EBC brake pads.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 06:03:27 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:57:51 PM by knight_mare »

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 06:43:50 PM »
After you get the 4 pots on the front if you really want more brakes you can put a two pot Tokico on the rear. TCro put me onto that idea a few years ago, now I have 4 pot fronts with 320 rotors and 2 pot rear, needless to say the braking is awesome.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 11:59:13 PM »
And I found that stainless steel lines did not do as much as advertised for improving brake feel.

Maybe you're immune to the "Farkle Effect" :)
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 07:12:14 AM »
As for pads, I never use HH brake pads,  but I also never play games on the bike...

There used to be a list of calipers from other bikes that can be used on the zg1000, but I think that may have disappeared when the old forum went away a year and a half ago...

Ever ran stock pads? If so then you've run HH pads; or at least Big K's version of them.

As I commented above there is no other brake caliper that is any better that will "simply bolt" on; and sadly at this time no one is making adapters. I'm not complaining but it takes a lot of time, effort and investment of money to offer upgrades to a diminishing market; ask me how well I know.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010