Author Topic: Won't start  (Read 7017 times)

Offline JDM

Re: Won't start
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »
Finally had to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer who did diagnose the clutch switch as being bad as well as the contacts on the starter button needing to be cleaned. He did that work along with an oil change, coolant change and inspection for $243. I don't think that was too bad.  8)

Thanks for letting know what was causing it.  JD
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 06:28:23 AM »
I have never had a cleaning of the clutch switch  last very long. Same thing goes with the brake switch.
I just replace them. Very easy to diagnose those.  I also replaced the whole  kill switch assembly. They are cheap on ebay.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 12:08:06 PM »
I have cleaned clutch and sidestand switches many times with major wd40 douching... always worked.
Sidestand usually has a sticky rod actuator, slip the red snooter tube under the rubber boot, or poke a hole in the boot to accomplish the same, and spray away..
Also diassembled ad scrubbed starter button wkith exceptional success.
$243 for that seems a bit high.... :P

Fyi, if you suspect a bad clutch switch, simply pull the wires, bend the tangs on a crimpon spade lug 90* to emulate a "plug" and use it as a jumper to connect the 2 poles in the harness socket. The circuit will then work all the time, you have defeated the switch.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..