Author Topic: Contemplating buying 08 rebuilt C14  (Read 7532 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Contemplating buying 08 rebuilt C14
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 03:39:15 AM »
What is it you guys discussed about modifying something to allow you to still start the bike?
That was about bypassing a stuck ignition activation switch.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 04:03:23 AM »
I think that there may be a Youtube video where someone got a real key with an rfid chip in it to work but no one else has been able to duplicate that.  The ignition housing actually has to be touched by either the fob (if fob battery is dead) or the credit card spare key to activate the bike.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 06:09:38 AM »
Unless the frame of the bike has been certified, I wouldn't touch it.  Frame /risk of damage is the #1 reason insurance companies quickly total bikes.

They'd rather total it than risk it being compromised after an accident.  And the labor cost to certify is higher than the bikes value, frame has to be stripped.

A lot of times the frames are good. But one can't tell just by looking at it or making sure nothing weird feeling happens on a ride.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 06:13:10 AM »
Steve has a very good point.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 08:08:59 AM »
Looking at a 08 C14 ,has 28000 miles on it with a rebuilt title .The seller was the told by the original owner that damage was superficial fairing,fenders and as such was a insurance write off.Checked out the motorcycle couple of days back,it appears in decent shape other than scratches on hard-bags.
Needs new tires front-rear & TPMS is not working and my main concern was noticed small oil leak onto exhaust header (nearest to coolant reservoir tank). Is this oil leaking common on C14 or where do you guys think could likely be leaking from,the seller is reluctant to open the fairings to let me have a look into origin of leak.
The seller is asking $5K,what would be a good price for the motorcycle in this condition.Taking it for a test ride today,is there anything else that I need to check before buying the bike.
Thanks

Seems like I've seen 08 never wrecked with clean title for not much more than 5k.

Offline tenere

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 07:50:52 PM »
Ended up buying the motorcycle for under 5k and only thing will that will add is the 7db tip for Two-brothers exhaust .

jirod

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2015, 09:26:17 PM »
Nice bike. Congrats! I like the lowers painted to match. Enjoy it

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 10:06:51 AM »
Ended up buying the motorcycle for under 5k and only thing will that will add is the 7db tip for Two-brothers exhaust .

Looks nice! Congrats!