Author Topic: British Knife Ban - SERIOUSLY!  (Read 14146 times)

Offline Bryn

• Leicestershire.... in the heart of England
Re: British Knife Ban - SERIOUSLY!
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 11:41:57 AM »
It's nice to see there are people more ignorant than Americans......and it appears to be the British.

Not your general population ( mostly).  Unfortunately people in power that are in a position to make stupid decisions that affect the rest of us..

P.S. I'm English  :D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 12:33:22 PM »
Not your general population ( mostly).  Unfortunately people in power that are in a position to make stupid decisions that affect the rest of us..
P.S. I'm English  :D
True everywhere.

P.S. Please excuse my cultural insensitivity but what's the difference?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »
All Fords are cars but not all cars are Fords....

All English people are British but not all British people are English....

England is one country in Great Britain; the other <proper> country is Scotland. Northern Ireland and Wales are also part of Great Britain but not Ireland proper, which is a separate country. It is a source of great confusion to us (Americans) but they seem to understand it well enough. It is probably all very simple, right and proper, eh wot, Gov?

By the way, a similar situation exists in the US with regard to "Holland" which most of us think is a country but is really only the two largest sections (counties?) of The Netherlands. There is no such country as Holland.

Brian

True everywhere.

P.S. Please excuse my cultural insensitivity but what's the difference?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Bryn

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »
B.D.F has it about right... Being called British is seen by many as a politically correct erosion of what we are..

Just as a guy from Scotland would describe himself as Scottish.. One from Wales.. Welsh...

It is very much a cultural thing... The cross of St.George means more to me than the Union Jack  :chugbeer:

On a different subject why has my post count become stuck on 1.  Is it cos I is English  :o

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 01:14:53 PM »
So it's a tribal thing?

Offline Bryn

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 01:34:10 PM »
So it's a tribal thing?

Suppose it is.. The Scots and the Welsh still smart because we invaded  ;)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 01:41:15 PM »
I would imagine that's so. But when you were united as British under the Jack you had an Empire. And now, not so much.

Offline Bryn

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 01:50:15 PM »
I agree. And what we have left we're busy giving away ...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 01:51:42 PM »
On a different subject why has my post count become stuck on 1.  Is it cos I is English  :o

Mish mash topics do not count as posts. Only true motorcycle related forums are counted. (Rick, correct me if I'm wrong)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 01:53:16 PM »
It would seem we mongrel Americans are destined to follow the same path. A pity that.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 02:11:43 PM »

England is one country in Great Britain; the other <proper> country is Scotland. Northern Ireland and Wales are also part of Great Britain but not Ireland proper, which is a separate country. It is a source of great confusion to us (Americans) but they seem to understand it well enough. It is probably all very simple, right and proper, eh wot, Gov?

By the way, a similar situation exists in the US with regard to "Holland" which most of us think is a country but is really only the two largest sections (counties?) of The Netherlands. There is no such country as Holland.

Brian

Kind of like the United States of America.  We are actually four countries: The North, The South, New York, and......California.

But we're all Americans.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »
Kind of like the United States of America.  We are actually four countries: The North, The South, New York, and......California.

But we're all Americans.
Two countries: Red and blue.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2012, 02:37:16 PM »
The Divided States of America.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
The Divided States of Amerika.
fify

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 06:54:14 AM »
B.D.F has it about right... Being called British is seen by many as a politically correct erosion of what we are..

Just as a guy from Scotland would describe himself as Scottish.. One from Wales.. Welsh...

It is very much a cultural thing... The cross of St.George means more to me than the Union Jack  :chugbeer:

Come to my house and you'll see it.... :)   Actually saw it flying in front of an antique store in Orange, VA yesterday.  First time I've seen one outside of the family manse in King George, VA.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2012, 06:56:54 AM »
Mish mash topics do not count as posts. Only true motorcycle related forums are counted. (Rick, correct me if I'm wrong)

While I'm not Rick, that is true.  The motorcycle boards C14/C10 are where the post counts increase. There may be others as well, but not here.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2012, 07:00:01 AM »

Brian

Not confusing to me at all, Brian, but that is quite correct.  Thanks for the geography lesson.  The British Isles are not considered part of Europe, at least by some of the locals.

Offline Bryn

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2012, 08:47:02 AM »
Easy way to describe it... Born and bred in England - English first..British on the passport  8)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2012, 09:07:41 AM »
Now I get it. Something like 'American by birth...Southern by choice'.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2012, 09:55:51 AM »

Brian

I just watched this the other day... how timely... lol!   ;D

Holland vs the Netherlands
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!