Author Topic: PSA for Direct TV users  (Read 9346 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: PSA for Direct TV users
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 06:01:34 AM »
Yep.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 07:30:51 AM »
total bs.

so the other night, i set my dvr to record the wings vs jackets game. i checked the channels as i mentioned and set it to record on channel 663 fox sports detroit.

well after a hectic day, i say down with some late dinner to enjoy the game only to be told that i wasn't authorized to view the game because i didn't have the correct package (i.e. i didn't subscribe to nhl center ice, which i totally do)!

so i called DTV immediately (about 9pm central) and bitched out every single CSR that came on the line. one guy tried to tell me that the code on the screen meant that it was blacked-out...BS i told the idiot! i told him that if a game is blacked-out, the receiver automatically searches for the game on a different channel and does it without user intervention.

then i got on them saying that i've been a customer with dtv longer than they've been employed with them and i can tell the difference between a blackout message vs you ain't authorized message.

and of course i informed them about how there are a bunch of peeps who are not happy with their decision to drop fox sports and the rest, to which dude replied that they were trying to raise their rates by 40% and that dtv was 'holding the line for its customers'. yeah that went over good with me too. i just let them know that i don't want to have to call them on november 2nd to cancel the service altogether.

dang- i forgot to complain about how new customers get a free season of nfl sunday ticket while those of us who've been customers for over a decade get squat.
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 08:32:30 AM »
total bs.

dang- i forgot to complain about how new customers get a free season of nfl sunday ticket while those of us who've been customers for over a decade get squat.

Yeah, that pisses me off to no end! I can understand offering something for free to attract new customers but as you said, what about the folks who have been with DTV for years? What do we get? A free movie once a year, BFD!!!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 08:42:59 AM »
Yeah, that pisses me off to no end! I can understand offering something for free to attract new costomers but as you said, what about the folks who have been with DTV for years? What do we get? A free movie once a year, BFD!!!

Yes, there is that as well.  I'm seriously leaning towards Dish at the moment just because of BBCA being in HD.  That would be enough to push me over the top.  I'm waiting now to see what's going to happen Nov. 1.  Giving me a premium channel to stay won't do it for me.  I've had them on and off for years and then get bored with it after a month as I've usually seen the 'new' movies on them already.  I can rent a movie for a buck at a Blockbuster kiosk and Dish is offering a connection to Blockbuster movies for free (don't know the time period).  I've dumped Netflix so it would be easy to dump DTV.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline billhook

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 09:09:37 AM »
total bs.

so the other night, i set my dvr to record the wings vs jackets game. i checked the channels as i mentioned and set it to record on channel 663 fox sports detroit.

well after a hectic day, i say down with some late dinner to enjoy the game only to be told that i wasn't authorized to view the game because i didn't have the correct package (i.e. i didn't subscribe to nhl center ice, which i totally do)!

so i called DTV immediately (about 9pm central) and bitched out every single CSR that came on the line. one guy tried to tell me that the code on the screen meant that it was blacked-out...BS i told the idiot! i told him that if a game is blacked-out, the receiver automatically searches for the game on a different channel and does it without user intervention.

then i got on them saying that i've been a customer with dtv longer than they've been employed with them and i can tell the difference between a blackout message vs you ain't authorized message.

Where do you live?  I have the NHL Center Ice package, live in Columbus, but am a Blackhawks fan.  When the Jackets play the Hawks, the Hawks feed is blacked out and I have to watch the crappy Columbus broadcast.  And, of course, all the regional sports channels outside of Columbus, are always unavailable regardless of what's on (unless there's some level of service that let's you see channels outside your region?).  So, if you're in Columbus, you will never get the Fox Sports Detroit channel, regardless of who they are playing.  If you're in Detroit, though, I agree, you should have gotten it and it isn't subject to blackout by a Columbus feed.

The issue I had last night was that all the Center Ice HD channels were showing the message that I needed to subscribe to the service, so I had to watch the Hawks game in non-HD - YUCK!!

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 10:34:41 AM »
Where do you live?  I have the NHL Center Ice package, live in Columbus, but am a Blackhawks fan.  When the Jackets play the Hawks, the Hawks feed is blacked out and I have to watch the crappy Columbus broadcast.  And, of course, all the regional sports channels outside of Columbus, are always unavailable regardless of what's on (unless there's some level of service that let's you see channels outside your region?).  So, if you're in Columbus, you will never get the Fox Sports Detroit channel, regardless of who they are playing.  If you're in Detroit, though, I agree, you should have gotten it and it isn't subject to blackout by a Columbus feed.

The issue I had last night was that all the Center Ice HD channels were showing the message that I needed to subscribe to the service, so I had to watch the Hawks game in non-HD - YUCK!!

i live just outside of nashville, tn, and i too have a problem with predator games (though i never really watch them anyhow)...they can be playing at home on 10 channels but i'll never get to see most of them!

i agree about crappy broadcasts...the nhl network totally blows with its sound. when i'm watching the game, i want to watch and listen to the detroit feed, mostly because i think their commentators are the best in the league.

that's something i did touch upon the non-helpful CSR from dtv...that a game will be shown as playing on multiple channels but you never know which one you actually have to tune to! WTF is that all about? and if you try to record the game from one of the nhl channels, you're going to have a recording about 8 hours long- about 2 1/2 hours of game and the rest that stupid dtv logo blue screen!

god i can't even think straight right now!
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 09:07:19 AM »
I'm thinking of going with Comcast, thoughts?

I currently have Comcast as my ISP.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 09:28:39 AM »

If they have the channels you want, why not?  I've had good service on my ISP (Metrocast) but I only use them for broadband at the moment.  Still looking at Dish, though.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 09:32:52 AM »
I'm gonna look at Dish too.

Comcast does have the chans that I want and the price for the 1st 6 months is less than what I'm paying now for ISP and DTV. Once the 6 months are over the price will be about the same, maybe just a lil less.

Did you watch SOA Jim? BIG happenings!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 11:12:51 AM »
I'm gonna look at Dish too.

Comcast does have the chans that I want and the price for the 1st 6 months is less than what I'm paying now for ISP and DTV. Once the 6 months are over the price will be about the same, maybe just a lil less.

Did you watch SOA Jim? BIG happenings!

No, we'll have to savor this episode tonight as it may be the last from DTV....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 11:42:27 AM »
I took a look at Dish's site and for ~ the same programing that I'm currenting getting with DTV, plus adding HD in another room (no DVR), the price would be just a lil less than DTV. Tempting!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 01:27:08 PM »
I guess it's all a waiting game for now.  I've seen the c**p both sides are posting on the Speed Channel.  I look at it like this, I'm a DTV customer.  I don't give a rats you know what about their internal goings ons and negotiations with other providers.  I want Speed and FX.  If you can't deliver then the heck with you and I'll go somewhere else.  I left my cable provider 11 years ago because they didn't have Speed.  I can do the same to DTV.

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 01:45:48 PM »
even if DTV dumped these channels, in no way would i go over to dish. i am under the impression that to get their hd channels, you have to install another dish or something like that. their hd channels aren't always hd either...one moment it's hd then another it's sd. and they have fewer hd channels to boot. i hear customer service is crap.

comcast just does things that irritates me to no end. they have a long history with the fcc fining them for crap like bandwidth throttling, charging an arm and a leg, poor customer service, and spying.

in the end, i think both sides are going to come to an agreement. i see it all the time with other channels on other providers.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 02:40:30 PM »
Even if they come to an agreement, I'm going to call and say I'm going to cancel for the pain and suffering.  I'm sure they'll bribe me with something to stay, I hope.  If not, I really will.  I've got enough stress at work.  I don't need my TV networks getting into the act.  Someone has to pay, I tell you! 

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 03:19:21 PM »
this channel thing goes on with all providers...this is the first time i've heard of this happening on dtv.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 03:53:08 PM »
even if DTV dumped these channels, in no way would i go over to dish. i am under the impression that to get their hd channels, you have to install another dish or something like that. their hd channels aren't always hd either...one moment it's hd then another it's sd. and they have fewer hd channels to boot. i hear customer service is crap.

I haven't counted the HD channels, but I haven't had any problems with HD switching to SD.  I have a LOT of HD channels available on Dish.  Including my local (Albany, NY) broadcast channels.  There's only one dish necessary, and I have three receivers hooked to it.  (One dual-tuner DVR and two regular receivers)  When I have a couple of extra bucks, I can change the receivers into DVRs by adding a USB hard drive, and a one-time fee ($40 each IIRC) to Dish. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 08:46:30 PM »

I've got Comcast C, phone/highspeed/ and main HD box w/DVR with 3 additional HD w/DVR's, works great for us...  :thumbs:

But not cheap IMO...  :(

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2011, 05:17:18 AM »
I haven't counted the HD channels, but I haven't had any problems with HD switching to SD.  I have a LOT of HD channels available on Dish.  Including my local (Albany, NY) broadcast channels.  There's only one dish necessary, and I have three receivers hooked to it.  (One dual-tuner DVR and two regular receivers)  When I have a couple of extra bucks, I can change the receivers into DVRs by adding a USB hard drive, and a one-time fee ($40 each IIRC) to Dish.

Jon, so you're happy with Dish?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2011, 07:10:03 AM »
Jon, so you're happy with Dish?

Well, until the snow (in October!?!) last night took out my signal completely.   >:(

I think I'm going to have to get up on my roof and check the alignment.  And maybe knock down a tree...

But in general, yes, I'm happy with Dish.  But realize that Dish or DirecTV are my only options, as the cable company doesn't see any need to service my area...  (Otherwise, I'd likely be on cable for TV and broadband, but I'm stuck with DSL.)
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2011, 02:00:29 PM »
I took a look at Dish's site and for ~ the same programing that I'm currenting getting with DTV, plus adding HD in another room (no DVR), the price would be just a lil less than DTV. Tempting!

I installed residential AV for many years... Dish customer service was a nightmare to try to deal with...

YMMV.
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George