Author Topic: THE UTTER FAILURE OF THE POLICE  (Read 12101 times)

Offline Klavdy

THE UTTER FAILURE OF THE POLICE
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:58:07 AM »
THE UTTER FAILURE OF THE POLICE

How do feel when you suddenly, apropos of nothing, see a cop car in your mirrors? Do you immediately breathe a sigh of relief that your safety is assured? Are you comforted in the knowledge that the police are protecting you from evil-doers and that their presence behind you is a reassuring example of their abiding love for the citizens they are sworn to serve and protect? Or do you start hyperventilating and wondering what idiotic nuance of the Motor Traffic Act you might have inadvertently failed to observe in the last five kays as you strove not to be crushed under the wheels of some iPhone-wielding retard in a car?
“Yes,” bleat the omniscient motorcycle-owning cardigans who pollute our roads with their refusal to take responsibility for their riding. “If you have done nothing wrong, then you’ve got nothing to worry about.”

If only that were true. But it’s not.
Motorcycle riders must ride faster than the flow of traffic in order to survive. That is a simple fact. If you are riding with the flow of traffic you will come to grief. It’s a no-brainer.
But since these beige-hued mugwumps aren’t actually riders, I do not expect them to understand this. Owning a motorcycle does not make you a rider any more than owning a gun makes you a criminal.

For the most part, when a rider sees a cop car in his mirrors, he understands that in all likelihood he will be pulled up for a licence check, a not-so-random breath test and a healthy dose of rudeness, disdain and contempt by the armed Mensa-aspirant in a uniform. And that is the best-case scenario. The worst-case scenario is that the rider will be subjected to an entire barrage of fascist crap about his (subjectively) excessive speed, followed by some half-informed bullshit about his tail-tidy/cylindrical rego holder/aftermarket pipe, while car after car motors past with virtually every driver fixated by his on-board GPS or texting on his phone.
This is wrong on so many levels.

But why do we instantly feel like we’ve done something wrong (even if we haven’t) whenever a police vehicle looms in our mirrors?
It’s because that is how the police want you to feel. And their entire demeanour and attitude is geared to perpetuating the feeling that you’re certainly guilty of something – even if you’re not.

If you need a better example of how the police have failed in their duty to the citizenry, then you also need professional counselling. The question that goes begging in our supposedly free western democracy is why do the police feel the need to cultivate such a sentiment among us? Do they imagine this is a positive thing? Are they deluded enough to believe that such fear breeds respect? Do they think that their endless howls for “More power!” to combat crime and the miniscule road toll are actually supported by the very citizens they harass and intimidate?

I think they do, and that is what scares the **** out of me.
But let us look objectively at this organisation of armed law enforcers and see if they are actually worthy of serving us as their mandate directs.
In recent times the police have piled failure upon failure and sold it to us, via their media unit, as a lack of “power”.
Sydney’s western suburbs are a free-fire zone each day, with drive-by after drive-by. The cops, unable to persuade anyone into speaking to them about anything (no doubt because the public loves, respects and trusts them so much), have now handed this problem to the NSW Crime Commission, an organisation not encumbered by the pesky legal constraints placed on the cops when it comes to making you talk. The police would like nothing more than to have the same frightfully coercive powers, but thus far the government has denied them these powers – and for this small mercy I am grateful.

But every day and in every way, the police shriek at the government to grant them more powers to coerce and intimidate the very people they are meant to ward from harm. They seek to ride roughshod over a person’s right to silence. They seek to dictate how society should behave, rather than just dealing with how it actually does behave – as if we were stupid naughty children in dire need of their armed quasi-parental governance.

Their dealings with motorcyclists by the side of the road are nothing but exercises in debasement and intimidation that do nothing but promote contempt for them. A polite Highway Patrol officer is by far the exception, rather than the rule – and I simply cannot understand why they think that is a positive thing.
In simple terms, so that even the glass-tasters can grasp it, it’s like this: The police are not (yet) empowered to re-engineer our society in a way that pleases them. They are there to police the society they are given. Play the bloody hand you’re dealt, gentlemen, not the hand you wish you had.
Or go and get another job.

The above was penned by Mr Boris Mihailovic and first appeared in Australian Motorcycle News, March 2012.
It is specific to Sydney, Australia but applies to many other parts of the world.
Boris kindly gave his permission to reproduce it here.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: THE UTTER FAILURE OF THE POLICE
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 04:01:51 AM »
Hmmm, sounds familiar.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:05:26 AM »
I get nervous when there is a cruiser behind me but it comes from my younger days when I had reason to worry...I was doing far too many things wrong.  I don't agree with having to ride faster than anyone else to stay alive.  I've been riding for quite awhile and never felt unsafe riding with the traffic.  I haven't had any 'incidents' doing that.  Don't know what it's like in Australia but in over 40 years of driving/riding I've never had an incident where I was pulled over and 'hassled' by the Man.  In fact, I think the person that wrote that article is  :nuts: , but that's my opinion.

Hmmm, sounds familiar.

Not to me.  I must lead a sheltered life.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline TXIN

• H-Minus
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:36:22 AM »
I'm with you, Jim. I don't buy the thing about riding faster than traffic being necessary, and I don't believe that I know a single person who's ever been "hassled" by the cops. In fact, the only time I've ever been pulled over on any motorcycle was by... a motorcycle!

It sounds to me like the author has a problem with authority coupled with delusions of persecution.
Squeee!

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 05:52:24 AM »
IMO, the author has some deep seated issues with authority. Probably been arrested a few times and now has a mindset that all cops are out to get him. I am guessing that the OP must be in agreement with the author or there would be no reason for the post .... 
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 06:05:35 AM »
+1 to that, OCK
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:23:35 AM »
There is no utter failure of the police. Call them to help with a dead family member, who died in your house, and see how they are.  You'll have officers doing anything and everything to make the situation better, or as good as it coudl possibly be.  No hard nose a-holes allowed.  Yes, we've all met the ones with the little-dick syndrome, but they are few and far between.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 06:44:13 AM »
This is what I'm used to seeing about the performance of our police. 

Police dispatch tapes show officers didn't immediately respond to a Berkeley man's call about an intruder before the homeowner was bludgeoned to death with a ceramic pot. There was never a radio call because officers were on standby for an Occupy Oakland march heading toward UC Berkeley.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/03/02/state/n052921S76.DTL

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 08:33:11 AM »
I for one have never had any issues with LEOs in my adult life, none that I didn't deserve mind you. The few times that I've been pulled over I've always treated the officer with respect and I received the same treatment in return.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 08:58:45 AM »
I for one have never had any issues with LEOs in my adult life, none that I didn't deserve mind you. The few times that I've been pulled over I've always treated the officer with respect and I received the same treatment in return.

Yup me too.......and my law enforcement friends ride, and they said that "in OHIO" a vast majority ride. 8) So as long as you are not riding wheelies, weaving in/out of traffic, excessively speeding......most the time you won't even get so much as looked at. And I always ride faster than traffic on the slab, you want to always be out in front and "especially" away from the trucks. For the record....my state trooper buddy said to ride a bit faster than traffic, just don't exceed over 10 mph and you won't even get blinked at.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline TXIN

• H-Minus
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »
This is what I'm used to seeing about the performance of our police. 

Police dispatch tapes show officers didn't immediately respond to a Berkeley man's call about an intruder before the homeowner was bludgeoned to death with a ceramic pot. There was never a radio call because officers were on standby for an Occupy Oakland march heading toward UC Berkeley.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/03/02/state/n052921S76.DTL

1) That is unfortunate, but it happens. Some people don't even get to call the cops.
2) Even if the closest unit had immediately flipped on his lights and raced over, chances are slim they would have been in time.
3) Neither of the above change anything about the situation, and I realize that.
Squeee!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 09:22:59 AM »
If an intruder were to come into my home, they are in serious trouble. Typically a pistol hidden in every room.......when seconds count the police are minutes "if not longer" away.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 10:00:04 AM »
IMO, the author has some deep seated issues with authority. Probably been arrested a few times and now has a mindset that all cops are out to get him. I am guessing that the OP must be in agreement with the author or there would be no reason for the post ....
+1.  While riding, I've never been pulled over. (when I didn't deserve it)  And several times, I'm certain I haven't been pulled over when it was obvious that I did deserve it.  Maybe it helps that a lot of the police in this area are riders as well.  Maybe it is just that they figure that a guy in ATGATT, on a bike with bags and a trunk, is probably an upstanding, law-abiding citizen, and they'd rather pull over the squid in sneakers and shorts on a sport bike.  (Maybe they've gotten to know me and my bike well enough from when I deserve to be pulled over that they realize I'm incorrigible and they don't bother anymore...  :P  )
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 10:58:32 AM »
I've had too many experiences where I was driving the same speed as everyone else, and I was pulled out of the middle because they wanted to check out my car or bike.  And, oh by the way, you were speeding.  I view highway patrolmen as revenue generators, not protectors.  Not really. 

And, to be fair, I've had plenty of head-up-my-ass moments that I was caught for too. 
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »
Like previously mentioned, ATGATT, saddlebags and trunk, the image is a whole lot better then some of the others that are out there. It has been so long since I was actually "pulled" over, I just can't remember. Now I have voluntarily pulled over just in case, but nothing has ever come of it.
I have been followed plenty of times, if they ran my plates, no problems, the witness protection program is working just fine. I have been asked about my red strobe brake light I have in my Givi trunk. The 2 diff. cops that asked about them didn't stop me, but followed me into a fuel stop and a food stop. Both were impressed with the visibility and the "hey I'm Stopping" billboard for the traffic behind me.
I just follow the basic rule of thumb, don't break the law and you won't meet the law. I don't count speeding.
Ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 12:44:03 PM »
Let's not forget the tazor and pepper spray abuses when we talk about fail  :-\

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 12:56:59 PM »
That wasn't abuse. Those people were ask individually by the cop if they would leave or chose to be pepper sprayed. That is the result of their choice. Looks like they chose wrong.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 12:59:10 PM »
It is refreshing to see all the positive comments, usually you have to look very hard to find any.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »
That wasn't abuse. Those people were ask individually by the cop if they would leave or chose to be pepper sprayed. That is the result of their choice. Looks like they chose wrong.

When a police officer in riot gear pepper sprayed peaceful, seated protesters at University of California, it quickly became one of the enduring images of the Occupy movement.

We can argue if it was excessive use of force or little man syndrome. But either way, a judge will decide....   

Now, as a lawsuit against the university has been filed, and with the school due to present the findings of its own internal investigation into the incident later in March,

But again its typical FAIL for all involved.

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 01:20:05 PM »
I figure cop's are people like the rest of us and act normally when scared.  If I was charged with stopping a SUV with blackened windows and the bass thumping the trim off the vehicle I'd be scared too.  When I'm scared I'm not usually very cordial.  That is what I took from the Aussie article... those cops are probably scared s#!+less and act normally. 
Maybe in Canada/US the cops are better trained to tell who is trouble and who isn't.  I don't know I'm not a cop. 
I've rarely been stopped and not been treated very politely,  but then again I usually have a wife and four kids with me.
When on my bike and I do see a traffic patrol I also go through the list of what he may be concerned about but I have yet to be stopped.  I love where I live.
In Canada the cops have to appear before a commision before they draw their weapons so maybe they figure they shouldn't **** anybody off. (not really but just about)
Just my two cents.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09