Author Topic: A new C15 in the works?  (Read 3104 times)

Offline sherob

• Arena
A new C15 in the works?
« on: November 21, 2013, 08:40:41 AM »
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/11/tokyo-motor-show-2013-kawasaki/

A more tangible product of KHI’s labors is this Supercharged Engine.

“Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. also has a long history of developing technologies for turbine engines.” writes KHI in the exhibit description. “The lifeblood of these turbines is their blades, which need to be able to cope with extreme heat and vibration while spinning at high speeds. Know-how from years of designing turbine engine blades was instilled in the first supercharger developed by a motorcycle manufacturer. And of course, designing a motorcycle-use supercharged engine in-house means that maximum efficiency could be pursued.”

Back in November 2011, Patent drawings filed by KHI appeared on the Internet showing a motorcycle-specific supercharger mounted in a very ZX-14-ish looking motorcycle.  And did you know Kawasaki’s 300X personal watercraft uses a four-cylinder, 1500cc four-stroke that makes 300 horsepower thanks to an “Eaton Twin Vortices Series roots-type supercharger with air-to-water intercooler?” Me neither, and now I’m mad at Kawasaki for assuming recreational boaters in bikinis and lifejackets can handle 300 hp better than we can (granted, it’s limited to 62 mph and there are less things to run into on the water). In any case, there have been rumors flying since 2009 that KHI is building a supercharged ZX-14R replacement.

Yamaha previewed both its VMAX replacement and FZ-09 by first showing the engines, so it makes sense to assume this is the first teaser of an upcoming ZX-15R (and maybe a Concours 15 as well). That last thing either Dirck or I think the ZX-14R and Concours 14 need is more power, but supercharging is also a means to deliver lag-free power with much greater efficiency, so this could be a way to give us a mere 200 hp and still deliver excellent fuel economy and longer service intervals. Hopefully we’ll have an answer before the next Tokyo Motor Show.

Gabe Ets-Hokin is the Editor of City Bike magazine, and a frequent freelance contributor to MotorcycleDaily.com.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline twowheeladdict

Re: A new C15 in the works?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 12:12:51 PM »
Wouldn't it be a ZX10R supercharged?  1000cc engine is a 1000cc engine even if it puts out the horsepower of a 1400cc engine.  Is my line of thinking off, or can they just name the displacement anything they want?  Don't understand calling it a 15 at all.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 12:36:12 PM »
Notice they use the term "lag free".
Gee, I didn't know Kaw made a turbo bike.

But it all begs the question:

WHY?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 02:24:06 PM »
Wouldn't it be a ZX10R supercharged?  1000cc engine is a 1000cc engine even if it puts out the horsepower of a 1400cc engine.  Is my line of thinking off, or can they just name the displacement anything they want?  Don't understand calling it a 15 at all.

I think this is what they are looking at...

And did you know Kawasaki’s 300X personal watercraft uses a four-cylinder, 1500cc four-stroke that makes 300 horsepower thanks to an “Eaton Twin Vortices Series roots-type supercharger with air-to-water intercooler?”
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 04:14:35 PM »

WHY?

The answer... BMW 1600 and ZX14 bragging rights.
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »

WHY?
The article is about a new supercharged engine, not a turbocharged one. Supercharged is connected directly to the crank, producing zero lag, unlike turbocharging. Turbocharging is drivin off the exhaust gasses, & doesn't kick in until the velocity of the exhaust gasses are fast enough to spin the turbine in the turbo, hence the lag. Since supercharging has no lag it's a better choice in a motorcycle application. You can do more with less. 1400cc performance out of a 1000cc engine
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current