Author Topic: Ignition stuck in FSS position  (Read 12434 times)

Offline Fixxer

Ignition stuck in FSS position
« on: August 21, 2014, 09:39:22 AM »
My ignition is stuck on the FSS position.
I can remove the stove key and tried using the fob key, but I couldn't get it to move. It seems locked in place.
When I press downwards, I get no response from the display.
This happened this morning as I was leaving for work.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I couldn't start the bike at all.
I did a search for other relevant topics, and a common solution was to examine and clean the battery connections.
Is there anything else I could try? Is this even a electrical/KIPASS issue?
Any ideas welcomed. Thanks!
Steve

2013 C14
Nocturne Blue

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Ignition stuck in FSS position
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 10:06:51 AM »
Sounds like you need a KROCK or B.D.F's fix.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 10:07:58 AM »
Where are you carrying your fob (Easy Boys!)?

I would suggest putting the active fob on the bike's saddle and again try pressing down the key. If that does not work, use the instructions in the owner's manual on how to use a fob with a dead battery.

If none of that works, you may have the dreaded 'stuck activation switch' problem. But try the above mentioned things first- let's go for the easiest solutions and work our way up to a hammer.

Brian

My ignition is stuck on the FSS position.
I can remove the stove key and tried using the fob key, but I couldn't get it to move. It seems locked in place.
When I press downwards, I get no response from the display.
This happened this morning as I was leaving for work.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I couldn't start the bike at all.
I did a search for other relevant topics, and a common solution was to examine and clean the battery connections.
Is there anything else I could try? Is this even a electrical/KIPASS issue?
Any ideas welcomed. Thanks!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Fixxer

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 10:25:18 AM »
Brian,

I carry my fob in my jeans pocket, and it's been like that since day one. I also recently changed the battery (within the month) in my fob. No issues whatsoever until today.
Allow me to elaborate a little. I got on the bike this morning and went through my usual starting routine. Push down, display lights up, flick start switch to run, then nothing. Display went dark. I don't know how the key wound up in the fss position, but it did.
Now, I cannot get it to move from that position. I tried removing the stove key and used the fob key with no luck. The ignition is locked in the fss position. I tried placing the fob near the key. Nothing. I had to push the bike back into the garage and drove to work. <sigh>
I'll try your suggestions when I get home from work. Thank you very much for your help and suggestions. You too, Rhino.
Steve

2013 C14
Nocturne Blue

Offline Cuda

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 10:29:18 AM »
Remove battery in bike  clean  ;)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 10:35:28 AM »
Given this information, your problem is nothing to do with any part of KiPass but almost certainly a loose battery connection. We see this issue quite often on this bike; I do not know why that is but it is common.

Remove the battery covers on the right side of the bike, remove the battery and check both battery terminals to make sure they are clean and tight- odds are, one is not tight and that is what caused your problem. While you are there, also check the ground terminal where it connects from the batter negative terminal to the frame, just in front of the battery box on the frame.

This should eliminate the problem. A sure sign that the above was your problem is that the clock will have reset because the power from the battery was interrupted.

Brian

Brian,

I carry my fob in my jeans pocket, and it's been like that since day one. I also recently changed the battery (within the month) in my fob. No issues whatsoever until today.
Allow me to elaborate a little. I got on the bike this morning and went through my usual starting routine. Push down, display lights up, flick start switch to run, then nothing. Display went dark. I don't know how the key wound up in the fss position, but it did.
Now, I cannot get it to move from that position. I tried removing the stove key and used the fob key with no luck. The ignition is locked in the fss position. I tried placing the fob near the key. Nothing. I had to push the bike back into the garage and drove to work. <sigh>
I'll try your suggestions when I get home from work. Thank you very much for your help and suggestions. You too, Rhino.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Fixxer

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 11:13:47 AM »
Roger that. I'll check the battery and connections today.
This was also mentioned in several posts when I did a search earlier. I hope it's something as simple as that.
I'll post back to report my findings.
Thanks guys!
Steve

2013 C14
Nocturne Blue

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 11:26:16 AM »
Great- good luck with it.

I would not worry about it, as I said it is a common situation with this bike and almost certainly your problem. The symptoms match perfectly with what we so often see on this bike. And not only is it a free fix (other than your labor of course) but it seems to be a permanent fix; once snugged up, the terminals seem to stay tight.

Brian

Roger that. I'll check the battery and connections today.
This was also mentioned in several posts when I did a search earlier. I hope it's something as simple as that.
I'll post back to report my findings.
Thanks guys!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »
If none of that works, you may have the dreaded 'stuck activation switch' problem. But try the above mentioned things first- let's go for the easiest solutions and work our way up to a hammer.

Brian

Have hammer.  Let me know when you need me.  :salute:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 12:29:10 PM »
I don't have a hammer but I do have a rock  ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 01:42:03 PM »
Absolutely primitive....sigh.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 02:28:13 PM »
Better save it Jim- I understand more vehicles will soon include KiPass (or HoPass, or SuzPass, etc.).

Take a look at this:

According to Kirby (I do not read Japanese, and I am not sure he does either) this article is blaming the plane crash in the photo on the LACK of KiPass and is urging the Prime Minister and the entire gov't of Japan to pass legislation requiring it on all new vehicles built.

Like I said, I don't read the language but that's what the little fella' tells me....

Brian

Have hammer.  Let me know when you need me.  :salute:

Offline Fixxer

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 09:22:29 AM »
Brian and Cuda were spot on!

Checked the battery and connections after I got home and found that both were loose. I removed the battery, cleaned up the connections and reinstalled. I also checked and cleaned the ground connection.
Hit the key, and it unlocked! Rode to work, and everything is back to normal.

***THANK YOU*** to Brian, Cuda, and everyone who helped. You guys saved me time and possibly a unwanted trip to the dealer.
Hopefully I can help someone here the way you guys helped me. Mahalo!

Steve

2013 C14
Nocturne Blue

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 09:51:41 AM »
Great- glad it was that easy.

We have seen this quite a lot on the C-14, and given the symptoms it was an easy and almost certain diagnosis.

Now go ride the pants off that bike- you are in a beautiful area for it!

Brian

Brian and Cuda were spot on!

Checked the battery and connections after I got home and found that both were loose. I removed the battery, cleaned up the connections and reinstalled. I also checked and cleaned the ground connection.

***THANK YOU*** to Brian, Cuda, and everyone who helped. You guys saved me time and possibly a unwanted trip to the dealer.
Hopefully I can help someone here the way you guys helped me. Mahalo!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 11:15:52 AM »
Great- glad it was that easy.

We have seen this quite a lot on the C-14, and given the symptoms it was an easy and almost certain diagnosis.

Now go ride the pants off that bike- you are in a beautiful area for it!

Brian

Too bad the Hawaii state speed limit is 60 mph.  :-\

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 11:22:46 AM »
And all the straight roads curve to the left or right to avoid the water :-)   Still, the weather there is fantastic and that has got to make it easy to plan a bike ride / rally four months in the future without having to wonder 'I hope I can ride that day'.

Brian

Too bad the Hawaii state speed limit is 60 mph.  :-\

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »
And all the straight roads curve to the left or right to avoid the water :-)   Still, the weather there is fantastic and that has got to make it easy to plan a bike ride / rally four months in the future without having to wonder 'I hope I can ride that day'.

Brian

+1 I've rented bikes on Kauai and Maui. Fantastic to just cruise around and enjoy the scenery and weather. But you definitely can't be in a hurry.  ;)

Offline Cuda

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 04:11:33 PM »
Getting fuel last night my gas tank lock was sticking , was not rotating back , sprayed some Boeshield T-9 all is well .
www.boeshield.com
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 05:11:41 PM »
Getting fuel last night my gas tank lock was sticking , was not rotating back , sprayed some Boeshield T-9 all is well .
www.boeshield.com

"The formulation, based on a unique combination of solvents and waxes"

I wouldn't use that in any of MY locks (wax).  But the problem with the gas tank lock is pretty common on most (all?) Kawasakis.  I just spray some graphite in the lock and on the latches about once or twice a year.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 06:19:07 PM »

Just one question- Do you use a baterry tender?
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.