Author Topic: The TPS sensors can be R&R'd without taking the wheels off.  (Read 16761 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: The TPS sensors can be R&R'd without taking the wheels off.
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 08:30:20 PM »
Outstanding  Brian!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 01:13:38 PM »
UPDATE:  I had a chance to do a few of these battery changes, using this method of 'on the bike' TPS sensor R&R last Sat. at a COG tech. day and wanted to let everyone know that it works well and pretty fast. Of course it gets quicker after doing a few of them :-)  The last bike I did took just over an hour, and that includes both removing and re installing the sensors themselves on the bike, as well as opening both sensors, removing the old batteries and installing (soldering) in the new ones. So it is a pretty quick task and well worth doing IMO.

All sensors tested worked fine although I did not test any of the front wheels..... except the one where I mixed up the sensors on the bike and could not tell which one was front and which one was the rear. And before someone asks, yes, I did mark them but I ended up with both covers off both sensors at the same time and could not be sure which cover went with which sensor.... so the one marked 'R' might not really have been the rear. No problem though, a piece of string tied to the valve stem and spinning the sensor around turned it on (not that way!- easy boys!) so it displayed on the dash.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 02:47:28 PM »
F TPS. and F a flashing dash. I can check my own tires when needed, and can feel when a tire is going flat on my own.

I just want to be sure before my next tire change that I can put a regular valve stem in there and have no flashing dash or fitment issues.

I've asked this question before and got some wishy-washy answers.
Can anyone verify that will work?
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 04:43:06 PM »
As far as no flashing dash, that part is true and any valve stem should work if it fits the hole correctly, but if you go to the trouble to take it out, just take it apart and remove the battery and put it back together.  Accomplishes the same thing, without buying a new stem.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 08:52:36 PM »
If it fits the hole...
It's a valve stem... it's from North America. Will it fit or not? ::)
Can I please get an answer?

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 08:55:37 PM »
Really? Has no one disabled this worthless dash drama?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 08:01:56 AM »
Hold on, I think I answered that on another forum..  8mm should work.  Do a search on 8mm valve stems and something should turn up.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 04:43:22 PM »
Really? Has no one disabled this worthless dash drama?
When I trashed my front wheel running over a grapefruit sized junk of concrete I bought a ZX14 wheel. It came with a good tire so I ran with the ZX14 stem until the tire was used up. No issues with the dash, read showed PSI as usual, front showed ---, no warning, no red light. Next tire change I stuck the TPS in the ZX14 wheel and all was back to OEM. Hope that answers your question.

And if your intention is to disable TPS I would buy a regular valve stem. In my opinion the TPS valve stem does not hold air as well as regular stems and it is not as compatible with some air hose chucks.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 06:06:23 PM »
Good to known a regular valve stem works in a ZX14 wheel.
How about a Connie wheel?

;) :feedback:
Do all you guys really need to know your tire pressure at all times? ::)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
I think the two wheels are identical except for color.
Anyway if a gtr stem works in a zx wheel then a zx stem must therefore work on a gtr wheel
Let me know if you see any flaw in my logic.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline 2wheeltripn

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
Brian

Thanks for the excellent write up and detailed photos. I used the exact same clamps and 2x4 blocks and your procedure worked perfectly. Was really glad to get the sensors out without taking the wheels to the dealer.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 10:33:28 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, and glad to hear it worked for you. We have been doing more and more of these on tech. day and it is a much faster process than pulling the wheel and tire off to get to the sensor. Plus I think a lot of people can do this job at home without a tire changer, a tire balancer or a lot of big tools to remove the axle and so forth.

Thanks for letting me know it was a benefit to you.

Brian

Brian

Thanks for the excellent write up and detailed photos. I used the exact same clamps and 2x4 blocks and your procedure worked perfectly. Was really glad to get the sensors out without taking the wheels to the dealer.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »
Is it possible to replace them, by t just breaking the bead on the rims or do you need to take the wheel off.  I want to replace both the front and rear.  Thanks for the help.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 11:47:49 AM »
Yes, it takes two wood clamps (cabinet clamps) and four small blocks of wood and is actually quite easy to do. I did a few just this last Saturday. I can do both sensors, from pulling the Schrader valve to re-inflating the tires and of course soldering new batteries into both sensors in an hour and 5 minutes. The first time you do it it may take longer though.  ;)

See this thread: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16850.msg207449#msg207449

Brian

Is it possible to replace them, by t just breaking the bead on the rims or do you need to take the wheel off.  I want to replace both the front and rear.  Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:57:02 PM by B.D.F. »

Offline Concours144545

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2015, 11:51:47 AM »
Yes, it takes two wood clamps (cabinet clamps) and four small blocks of wood and is actually quite easy to do. I did a few just this last Saturday. I can do both sensors, from pulling the Schrader valve to re-inflating the tires and of course soldering new batteries into both sensors in an hour and 5 minutes. The first time you do it it may take longer though.  ;)

See this thread: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16850.0

Brian

Thank you Brian I appreciate it.  Can you repost the pictures. I can't see them.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2015, 12:56:48 PM »
Different thread with photos intact: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16850.msg207449#msg207449

Thanks Photobucket :-(

Brian

Thank you Brian I appreciate it.  Can you repost the pictures. I can't see them.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2017, 08:13:50 AM »
First post edited to remove Photobucket links and install Imgur image links- these work, at least for now.

Brian

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2017, 09:38:45 AM »
 :thumbs: