Author Topic: Cold starts and long warm up  (Read 3206 times)

Offline medicevans

Cold starts and long warm up
« on: May 17, 2011, 06:28:03 PM »
Have SiSF's 2mm and exhaust sprocket. Currently running about 3/4 of the right intake blocked. It seems that the bike takes forever to warm up and where as before it fired immediately now it takes a few seconds on the starter button.

Am I loosing fuel by evaporation through the overflow tubes?  Guess I need to loop the end and put a drop of oil in the loop?  I need to clean the stock air filter too. Maybe that is causing the slow warmup?

Offline KenE

Re: Cold starts and long warm up
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 06:52:08 PM »
I noticed  after I added overflow tubes- harder/slower to start,  and more noticeable if left on the side stand,  rather than the centerstand overnight.
I am thinking to move petcock to prime  briefly if it has sat for a couple days as a standard start up procedure...
Does seem more cold hearted/won't go till warmed up than before I installed jet kit, k&L filter, and sprocket mods. I do have the foam trimmed for max economy.
For grins I ran it for a few miles with the foam out to see what it was like. Educational.
HTH
Kenni

Offline red44

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 07:59:32 PM »
Expand on educational please....I still have the full piece in.

Offline red44

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 08:13:53 PM »
I have literally less than a dozen starts since the 2 min carbs and foam were put back in. It has not sat more than a couple days between starts. No problem starting, seems to "burble" while warming for 5 or more minutes, but I've yet to sinc the carbs also. I'm holding off on trimming the foam untill I have a few significant rides with it under my belt.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 08:16:48 PM »
From what I've read here, the suggested fix is to put a loop in each of your overflow tubes, and put a small amount fluid (oil?, can't remember which kind now) into the overflow tubes, just enough to fill the bottom part of the loop.  This will help prevent gasoline from evaporating through the overflow tubes, and will flush right out if you have a stuck float issue.

I'm sure someone will chime in here any moment now with what fluid they use...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline DarrellB

• Arena
  • If your going to ride. Ride. Forget the trailer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 08:43:06 PM »
I do not have any of the mods you are talking about and mine takes awhile to warm up when its below 60 degrees. I just thought they were cold blooded.
02 Connie with 06 Skin

Offline medicevans

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 05:08:18 AM »
Stock, they aren't cold blooded.  Mine started right up even covered with snow for two days (not my fault, kinda a forced leaving).  Today when I went out to start it, I turned the petcock to prime for a second or two. Bam, caught the first spark. Think it really was evaporation issues in the bowls. Have to try the oil in the line. Will goat blood work in the line instead?   :rotflmao:  ::)

However, it never took this long to warm up. I think it's because now it is tuned properly. Before it ran like crap all the time so there really want much of a difference before an after it was warm. I let it warm up for 15 min today and it ran like a striped a$$ ape afterwards.  The mods really are an amazing addition to this bike.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 05:29:19 AM »
Brian - the harder starting after sitting is evaporation, as you've noted. You probably have the foam trimmed a little to much - replace the foam block you have in there now with the full sized block and there will be a noticeable difference. You're probably going to end up with a foam block size in between a full block and what you currently have now.  BTW, your carbs were missing 2 of the pilot fuel adjustment springs, so it would have been really rich on idle making it very easy to cold start, but it would have gotten horrible fuel economy.  hth, Steve
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:03:59 AM by Steve in Sunny Fla »

Offline medicevans

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 01:33:59 PM »
Flipped the petcock to prime before startup now three times. Works every time just perfect, so it is definitely evap. Have to loop that drain tube soon.

So Steve, is that why it started up fast in 10* weather but only got 27 mpg in warmer weather? 

Replaced the foam with a full block and it runs better. Have a few more niggling things to wrap up (windshield, seat, bar adapter) and I'll be ready to run all day.