Author Topic: Tire Pressure display oddity  (Read 1612 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Tire Pressure display oddity
« on: September 30, 2019, 05:03:14 PM »
Saturday I rode to Morganza, La to check out the 50th Anniversary celebration of the filming of Easy Rider. The redneck diner scene was filmed at Melancon's Cafe in Morganza using many locals. The final shotgun murder scene was also shot on an area road. Any way as I fired up my 08 Concours 14 to ride home the front tires display was 24 psi! Rather than head back into the heavy traffic in Morganza I planned to ride to the next town on LA1 and stop at the first gas station. The reading held at 24 psi for a few miles and then changed to 44 and remained there for the rest of the ride home.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Tire Pressure display oddity
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 05:21:01 PM »
Did you put a gauge on it to confirm readings?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 05:46:53 PM »
If it had really been 24, then the display would have/should have been "taken over" by an alert.  If that didn't happen, then it probably was 44 all along and somehow the "4" was incorrectly displayed as a "2".  The two numbers aren't dot-matrix similar, so I am not sure how that would/could happen, other than some very odd glitch.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 06:10:13 PM »
carrying a simple tire gauge seems to be a thing people don't do anymore... I guess.....
I carry 2, they take no more room in my tank bag pocket than two marking pens..
 ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 06:24:06 PM »
carrying a simple tire gauge seems to be a thing people don't do anymore... I guess.....

Well, with TPS, we shouldn't HAVE to carry such things :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 06:25:29 AM »
I usually carry two but for some reason not on this ride. Move stuff constantly between 4 bikes.
I had checked the tire before I left in the morning, 42 psi. And 42 the next day after it had cooled off.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 05:00:10 PM »
Well, with TPS, we shouldn't HAVE to carry such things :)

I carry them for "lending", and also use them periodically when checking before a ride..
besides carrying a tire plug kit, and a mini compressor... mostly for lending also... it's always worth a beer or 2, when "used".

(paid for them all over the time I've carried them, that's for certain....)  :chugbeer: :thumbs:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 04:42:14 AM »
Rich is right on with this one.  I monitor tire pressures constantly but carry a tire pressure gauge and an inflator.  With the Indian you need two people to add air to the tires.  One to roll the bike and the other to watch for the valve stem as there is no center stand.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 05:39:38 AM »
With the Indian you need two people to add air to the tires.  One to roll the bike and the other to watch for the valve stem as there is no center stand.

I can't use the center stand by myself because the bike is lowered.  But I/you don't need 2 people to find the stem.  Just look.  If it is not there, walk the bike back a foot, rest on side stand, and look again, repeat.  Usually only takes a couple of tries.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 06:19:40 AM »
Rich is right on with this one.  I monitor tire pressures constantly but carry a tire pressure gauge and an inflator.  With the Indian you need two people to add air to the tires.  One to roll the bike and the other to watch for the valve stem as there is no center stand.

You need two to air the tires? So you can't say, check the location of the stem on the back tire by yourself and then roll the bike forward a few feet and locate the stem?  :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 10:58:44 AM »
  With the Indian you need two people to add air to the tires. 

Those Indian riders sure are a needy group.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 04:18:19 PM »
There is probably an Indian nameplate/badge blocking the view.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 07:50:16 PM »
There is probably an Indian nameplate/badge blocking the view.

Nope, just fringe.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 09:07:09 PM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 06:43:33 AM »
Nope, just fringe.

Ah, that makes perfect sense now, someone has to hold the fringe out the way while the other person does the airing.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 12:20:19 PM »
You need two to air the tires? So you can't say, check the location of the stem on the back tire by yourself and then roll the bike forward a few feet and locate the stem?  :o

There's too much walking around with that method.  Works better with 2.  The rear cases are so low to the ground one has to get back a bit to see the stem (easy boys).

I draw the line at fringes, just sayin..

You can't have too many Indian logos on this bike.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 09:24:01 PM »
Lunatic fringe
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 04:29:42 AM »
Precisely.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2019, 01:02:39 PM »
Friends dont let friends wear fringe
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1