Author Topic: drivers peg lowering  (Read 8387 times)

Offline krsron

drivers peg lowering
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:47:25 PM »
whats your opinion on drivers peg lowering? murphs vs motorcycle larry

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: drivers peg lowering
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 06:58:33 AM »
I have  the pegs adapters  from Motorcycle Larry and have been very happy with them. They are sturdy and well made. I stand on the pegs often and feel very secure. The long peg feelers will scrape easily in curves. I just took them off. At extreme lean angles the pegs themselves will scrape but I don't ride like that anymore. After 50,000  miles the finish on the adapters still looks good.

Be aware that there were some complaints about customer service in the past. I would find out if those issues are now resolved before ordering.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 09:25:35 AM »
I'm using the Buell pegs, and I'm still very happy with them.  The feelers are aluminum, so they are self clearancing.  The ends of the feelers are no closer to the road than the stock pegs were either.

The lower pegs give you a little less knee bend, which makes it feel like you have a little more room on the bike.  I have the low gel seat, so I'm probably back to the stock spacing between seat and feet now.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 04:59:15 PM »
Seems to me there was a thread where the poster had pix of all three pegs - mounted -and you could see
very clearly how each fit . .Maybe try a search...
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 05:00:52 PM »
Seems to me there was a thread where the poster had pix of all three pegs - mounted -and you could see
very clearly how each fit . .Maybe try a search...

I think it was from Brian (BDF), and it was on the old, pre-crash forum.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Gsun

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 06:18:55 PM »
I use Murph's. Very happy with them. I didn't adjust my levers. My boot can sit under the shifter and is comfortable. Have to pull my foot up to shift down, but it is worth it.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 06:31:11 PM »
Yep, it twer me. But even the great 'crash' of '11 could not wipe out the photos....

This is a comparison of three different pegs used on a C-14: Murph's, Buell Ulysses (modified to fit the C-14) and stock:

The same three pegs compared mounted on the bike. The photos were taken from a tripod so the relative differences as they appear are valid.

Murph's pegs:

Buell Ulysses pegs:

Stock pegs:

I have used all three extensively and prefer Murph's or Buell pegs over stock. Given my current seating arrangement (Corbin saddle w/ Airhawk), the Buell seems to fit me best although Murph's pegs are very close to the Buell pegs in placement.

Murph's pegs are made for the C-14 specifically so of course they fit right out of the box. Buell pegs must be modified by opening the mounting hole about 1/32" with a drill or reamer, and filing or grinding just a bit of material from the back so the peg ends up horizontal (stock they stick up slightly). Not a lot of work but also something that takes a bit of skill, some power tools and some care to execute. I have no idea if Buell pegs are still readily available now that Buell is out of business.

Side note: my spelling checker suggests I replace Buell with Burl…. amazing.

Brian

I think it was from Brian (BDF), and it was on the old, pre-crash forum.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 08:33:31 AM »
Thanks again ,Brian .You are the Man ! ;D
Think I'm going with Murph,s . Need all the room I can get .
Seems that they have more flat ,level area . Can you feel that ,or does it affect using the levers ?
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 08:54:19 AM »
Glad to help if I can.

Yep, Murph's are the lowest of all that I have tried and about the same as MCL's lowering kit and stock pegs but they provide a lot more cornering clearance than lowered stock pegs.

Yes, you can feel the flat and the angle is about perfect for me. It is very easy to use those pegs to shift your weight around or simply stand up on a long trip. The angle also gives the effect of having a bit more room because the high point of the peg is moved toward the rear of the bike. Murph's pegs are a nice product, milled from solid aluminum and very strong; they also don't force the rider's feet out away from the bike like the lowering kits do.

Brian

Thanks again ,Brian .You are the Man ! ;D
Think I'm going with Murph,s . Need all the room I can get .
Seems that they have more flat ,level area . Can you feel that ,or does it affect using the levers ?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 09:50:45 AM »
Just keep in mind your lean angle is gonna decrease. I had MCL peg lowers, but didn't like how early they scrapped, but...I am 5'11", & if I were 6'2" or taller I would want more room in the cockpit as well.
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 02:39:23 PM »
Yes, there is less cornering clearance but only with the MCL lowerers (new word). Murph's pegs have about the same clearance, or just a tad more, than the stock pegs. Buell pegs have more cornering clearance than the stock pegs.

Brian

Just keep in mind your lean angle is gonna decrease. I had MCL peg lowers, but didn't like how early they scrapped, but...I am 5'11", & if I were 6'2" or taller I would want more room in the cockpit as well.

Offline krsron

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 04:57:58 PM »
Thanks guys for all the information.  Purchased my 09 about 3 months ago and slowly adding parts to make it mine.  Lots of great info on this site. 

Offline teqnc2

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 03:21:49 PM »
So, this is a really old thread, but I need some advice on the topic, to lets see if we can reactivate it.

I bought a used '08 Concours 14 a little over a year ago, and the time has come for another round of customizations!

I want to know if there is anything like the passenger peg lowering brackets for the driver pegs. I've bought foot boards from Kuryakyn that I want to use, and adapters which allow me to fit those boards to the stock peg mounts. But I need to lower them or else I will not be able to reach the shifter with boards.

In fact, I am working on making a custom mod to create a heel shifter for the Concours 14, so if that works I'll post on this forum and if anyone wants one, hit me up.

But seriously, are there brackets I can use? Murphs are solid pegs, which means I can't use the boards that I bought. MCL seems to no longer be selling lowering brackets for the C14 driver pegs. What can I get? Will the passenger lowering brackets work for driver pegs?

Offline eng943

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 01:46:37 PM »
I went with the AST kit. I think it's a much cleaner way of lowering the pegs. Very happy with it. 
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline FTB530

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 04:34:00 PM »
I went with the AST kit. I think it's a much cleaner way of lowering the pegs. Very happy with it.

I like the AST kit too, have had it on two bikes,but I took it off mine now because it wouldn’t work with my two brothers pipe I bought, I have the Murph’s lowering pegs now and they are fine. I misplaced the AST kit I have but if I ever find it it will be for Sale!

Offline Rexter

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 10:26:03 PM »
I just removed some lowering brackets for stock pegs. They give the same drop as the solid dropped pegs that were on the bike. Lemme know if you want a pic.