Author Topic: How serious is it  (Read 1638 times)

Offline So Cal Joe

How serious is it
« on: March 11, 2019, 06:40:15 PM »
I sold my 09 Connie in 2011. Now looking at going back to a concours but it is a 98 with only 18,000 miles on it. I heard a lot about the hydrolock on these bikes so is there an easy way to find out if this bike has had that problem/ Will replacing the OEM petcock with a new one help to keep it from happening? I like all the good things the bike has to offer but should let the thought of hydrolock stop me from buying it. The seller is asking $2500 for it, it has new front tire and current tags

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Re: How serious is it
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 10:38:56 PM »
Hydrolock happens, though I dare say it happens far less often than you read on this interweb thingy.

Pull the plugs, crank a few turns (just in case), plugs back in, start, listen. If it had hydrolocked in the past, and bent a connecting rod, you'll know it.

Can also set up a dial indicator (plunger type) to measure plug seating surface to top of piston on all cylinders, but several variables. Mostly carbon build up on piston crown. A compression or differential leak down test should also work. As will a bore scope to detect any major scoring of the cylinder walls.

New petcock advised, OEM is fine (though many will disagree). Internal rubber bits may be near end of life, especially considering the low miles.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Stasch

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:21:14 AM »
Pull the plugs, crank a few turns (just in case), plugs back in, start, listen. If it had hydrolocked in the past, and bent a connecting rod, you'll know it.
Its not always evident by listening.

You need to measure piston heights in pairs (1-4 and 2-3) and compare.  Only way to know for sure.

I bought a parts bike that wouldn't allow a full 360 degree engine rotation as the bent rod would make contact and prevent further movement.  It was only 270 degree total until lock.  I suspect multiple hydrolock events occured to hammer this into such bad shape.  No way to know if the owner could hear anything as a tip off when the engine was running as this condition progressed.  No doubt there were start attempts that ended with an abrupt clunk.

Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 01:31:37 PM »
I'm going to go look at it tomorrow I think. He wants $2500 for it which is probably a fair price. I will see how much a new petcock is and try to get him to go down that much. Thanks for the replies

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once