Author Topic: C10 EFI Project  (Read 18280 times)

Offline Chrome Megaphone

Re: C10 EFI Project
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2020, 11:04:25 PM »
Maybe just ignore the dent for now and solve that EFI gremlin.
Sorry if you took the joke wrong.   

gpineau

« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2020, 09:39:24 AM »
No, I knew you were kidding.

Today taking a break from the drywall in the basement and cleaning around the garage.
I hope to have some time this afternoon to download a new tune to the ECU where I swapped out the fueling table for Alpha-N fueling.
 I re-scaled the table to be weighted more on low to mid throttle 1,2,4,8,10...16%  then the last few table look up are at 50-60-80-100%  Maybe it will start?

I ordered an inflatable bladder to  see if I can push the dents out from the inside.  But that's just lipstick for later. I need to get it running again first.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2020, 01:33:21 PM »
pick up or make one of these.. works like a charm on that kind of dent...

https://www.harborfreight.com/crossbar-dent-repair-kit-66957.html

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2020, 08:54:18 AM »
Sorry to hear about the dent/dents?
I like the innertube in the tank idea, but wonder about getting it in the tank/proper location.
Know MOB's tool could be the tool to use too...

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2020, 08:06:36 AM »
I haven not solved the bogging down problem at full throttle fully yet. I changed the fueling from speed density to alpha-n It runs much bette now but still needs to tweaking at high speed.   l i Was getting ready to winterize and when I pulled the radiator cap the rubber seal ripped in half with half stuck to the inside of the filler tube. Damn!  We had some bad weather forecast so I just pulled the bottom radiator hose off and drained all the coolant out.

I will deal with it in the  spring. So now it is in its winter pajamas on the back patio.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #185 on: November 02, 2020, 08:35:22 AM »
GP, haven't heard from you in awhile. Hope your doing ok?
On your bogging at full throttle, I think I recall that you had the bike running fine and something changed?
If so, fuel flow/pressure can be the culprit. Have you confirmed those at high flow rate?

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2020, 04:46:36 PM »
It was running great up until near full throttle then the O2 sensor read very lean.  If I never go full throttle it performed very well.  But I wanted to be able to twist the throttle full open without it going lean on me. The root cause it that there is not enough vacuum range in the VE table with individual throttle bodies. (my honda didn't have this problem because I was using a manifold)  One work around was to tie the vacuum line from all the throttle bodies and connect them to a small vacuum  canister. That helped a lot but the problem still occurred if I twisted the throttle to quickly.

That is why I switched to alpha-n fueling which uses the throttle position instead of manifold vacuum.  I was getting close to getting the tune right when I had to set the project aside and construct an apartment for my daughter in the basement. That work is done and I am waiting for the certificate of occupancy from the town government.  By that time cold weather hit so I parked in on the patio and put its winter pajamas on it.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #187 on: November 03, 2020, 08:13:15 AM »
It's a shame that you have to wait out the winter. But understood.

Question; Are you now using real Fi Throttle Bodies? (I thought you were using Connie carbs)
The reason I ask is, Low vacuum should momentarily reduce fuel flow and regulate the rate that flow increases {to match throttle position and engine need}. I suspect that "if" you could have kept the throttle slide's working, you would have maintained a better vacuum curve as you opened the throttle.
{ie; as the RPM's increased the air velocity would control the rate the slide lifted. The slides would give some vacuum control/signal as they wouldn't fully lift until RPM's increase.}

Your far ahead of me in programming etc. {My mind is more mechanical than digital}
I'm just offering this thought as I think using only a TPS will remove the effect of engine load.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:45:32 AM by connie_rider »

gpineau

« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2020, 09:29:45 PM »
 I guess you missed my video. https://youtu.be/nFgQnJeQ0mM

Yes I am using real throttle bodies off of a Z1000. And they were designed to get around this problem. They had secondary throttle plates that opened slowly.   The were driven by a stepper motor under ECU control. I had no way to control them so i removed them. Now I have straight throttle bodies. The original using old carbs a throttle bodies had the same problem but not  as bad.

Just getting interested in bikes again since I have finished the basement.  So this afternoon I put the battery charger on it and put antifreeze in. I got a replacement for the radiator cap I tore up. So tomorrow I will drive it into the garage so I can play with something this winter.

BTW since I am finished with the basement I had several left over cabinets and rather than sell them on craigs list I repurposed them for my garage work bench. Turned out great. I will be tearing out the old bench tomorrow.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #189 on: November 05, 2020, 09:06:25 AM »
Shop looks great.

"OOps", I had forgotten you went to TB's and motorcycle injectors.
I now remember the video/throttle body addition.
My excuse; My memory sux..  :doh:

Final thought; I suspect the Z-1000 Throttle Bodie ID's are larger then the ZG-1000 venturi size?
If so, {only if you still need some type of restriction} you could re-install the secondary throttle plates ands lock them at a position to add some slight restriction?   (mebbe 3/4 to 7/8 open?)

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #190 on: November 15, 2020, 09:17:24 PM »
That's a good Idea but the shaft is just long enough for the original configuration. Remember I widened these by 13 mm in the center to fit a zg1000.  I guess I could cut the shaft in two and use the two  halves separately ,.if I still had it! I think it went into the trash bin months ago. I may be able to 3D print something to do it.  But not sure it will help. Its too cold to go for tuning ride so any tuning on this will wait till next spring.

Meanwhile..
Thinking ahead to my next idea. converting my other connie over to EFI. I see the throttle bodies from a ZG1400 will almost fit a ZG1000. I think that there is maybe an eighth of an inch difference between the throttle bodies and the head ports. I think that may  be easier to modify than widening the throttle bodies off a Z1000.
Just about talked myself into it.

I have finished the basement and my daughter has moved in so now I need something to keep me occupied this winter.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2020, 07:10:06 AM »
Before you go that route, check the throat sizes  of the 2.
The TB's for the 1400 may be too big.

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #192 on: November 17, 2020, 03:15:54 PM »
It has been sitting in the back yard under wraps for 2 years. I needed to move it to garage for my winter project.
I thought this would take all day.. But  am surprised.  I took my time, drained the tank, drained the bowls, added fresh gas, dropped in a fresh battery and after 10 seconds of cranking.. te voilĂ .  It started. I took it for a spin down the block and then parked it in the garage next to its cousin.

Now I am not sure how to proceed. I am torn between scavenging the old naked cafĂ© racer to convert Connie over to EFI then sell it for scrap. Or I can just start from scratch on the Connie and buy all new stuff for the conversion. That way I will have a good bike to sell when I am finished.  What to do? 
But I do intend to exchange the shock rocker to lower the Connie an inch or so.

gpineau

« Reply #193 on: August 07, 2021, 12:02:45 PM »
This bike now has a new home. I sold it to a fellow rider this morning.

Sold the Cafe' Racer this morning. Still have the Honda magna and the Kawasaki Concours up for sale. 

I think the Concours will sell on Monday.